Chapala.com Webboard

What if we give up our "residente permanente" status?

In our house we are both residente permanente.

It seems like after three years we are still running into brick walls with our Canadian vehicle. We were initially advised by three different parties to park it until it qualified to be nationalized, or whatever. We did that. When it was "eligible" (a term that does not seem to have any real meaning) we entered into the process of having the vehicle admitted legally. We turned everything over to facilitators who we still have faith in but after six months of limbo we have been advised (by our facilitators) to withdraw from the process, as there is no successful end in sight. I think that, at this point, that is good, honest advice and we are now waiting for the return of our documents and cash.

We have always been compliant and more than willing to do what is requested of us by Mexico for the privilege of living here. But now we are wondering if, apart from saving the yearly fees and time spent renewing FM3s, is there any advantage in our new status. If one of us were willing to leave and re-enter the country every six months, could we do that and just renew a tip on our vehicle? Would we have any problems selling our home in the future (I.E. capitol gains), if we should decide to do so? We have lived here, in the same home for eight and a half years, if that makes a difference.

Also, these are legitimate questions and concerns. We have already been told off by at least one party for not "dealing with our vehicle problems when we had the chance" (what chance?). Interestingly enough, this same person was one of the three who initially told us to park the vehicle. I guess he has a short memory. I'm just pointing this out because we do not need further chastising. At the time we did our best (so we thought) and now we need updated advice; so please if you have advice or suggestions, let us know otherwise please move it along with out admonishment.

It looks like you need advice you can rely on at this point. The kind of free advice you'd get on a web board may be useless and often counter-productive. I'd advise contacting Spencer McMullin and lay out the situation you're in. He posts on here.

Re the Permanente status: Personally, I wouldn't abandon it for a car. There are people here ("Playaboy", for one) who are honest and reliable and who will buy your car and resell it over the border. Then, I would buy a Mexican plated car. One reliable source would be S&S auto, IMO.

Wishing you the best of luck on getting your situation resolved.

I am long past caring about what other people think and chastising runs off me like water and a duck etc..

If I can't find a solution on my own I seek competent professional advice. Life is great when you can ignore the jerks. You might want to tell the know it all to park it in the shade. The shade is where the sun doesn't shine.

TioBob you are my kind of thinker! The only reason I declined the inevitable "chastisement" is that I need some sound advice and I was hoping to pose my question without it turning into a big ballyhoo and I told you sos!

Sounds like you have had a rough ride. Why don't you get someone who speaks Spanish to phone the source of all these regulations (problems?) - Aduana Mexico. Talk for free to one of their lawyer/counsellors. Ask them "Can I sell my Canadian plated car to a Mexican?", they will tell you yes, and the forms you need to protect yourself. Ask them "Can I remove the TIP?" - they will tell you yes, and here is how, but you will not get your deposit back. Sign over the title, bill of sale, liability waiver, cancel the insurance, remove the plates, count your money in front of the buyer. They will probably have to have it towed to its new home - who cares, not your problem. They probably want your vehicle to resell the parts - who cares, not your problem. This Canadian registered vehicle sold in Mexico would probably sell for about half of what it would if it was Mexican registered but "parted out" it could be worth many times more once all the "like new" auto parts are sold.

Forget about selling in the U.S.A., it is a mountain of paperwork mostly involving U.S. Emission tests ($1,000 U.S. just for one test). If it is over 25 years old (1990) then the emission test is waived, and you are now importing a "classic" vehicle.

You should re-read the OP's post. It is a Canadian vehicle and there will be no interest from Playaboy to drive it to Texas to sell on the OP's behalf. It needs to be taken back to the Canadian province in which it is currently registered.

To be safe, you should definitely not drive it until you have a Retorno Seguro to remove it from Mexico within 5 days. Your insurance may not be valid for an illegal vehicle, which it is since you became Residente Permanente.

The easiest approach might be to sell it to a Canadian who wants to move back to Canada. Give them a notarized permission letter and get Spenser‘s help for that and the Retorno Seguro. Make sure the buyer agrees to get your receipt for the TIP as part of the deal and to return it to you.

Sounds like you have had a rough ride. Why don't you get someone who speaks Spanish to phone the source of all these regulations (problems?) - Aduana Mexico. Talk for free to one of their lawyer/counsellors. Ask them "Can I sell my Canadian plated car to a Mexican?", they will tell you yes, and the forms you need to protect yourself. Ask them "Can I remove the TIP?" - they will tell you yes, and here is how, but you will not get your deposit back. Sign over the title, bill of sale, liability waiver, cancel the insurance, remove the plates, count your money in front of the buyer. They will probably have to have it towed to its new home - who cares, not your problem.

Chillin,you really should think twice before giving people bad advice that could potentially get them in lots of trouble.

Local person for fee takes it to specific place which is fitted with video cameras and then the nighttime pickers come and take it apart. The video and papers are then sent to a DF government place and taken off the tip etc.... cost I have heard about $225 US.

I think your idea of one person taking temporal status or visitor is the way to go. That is what we are doing. It means I can keep my US vehicle. We have Jalisco plated vehicles too. And I can go permanente at any time. I never understood why everyone jumped so high about the car issue when the new rules came into effect. Essentially all permanente does is save you a couple hundred dollars when with some time and the right financial numbers you can go from temporal to permanente whenever you need to for house sales or whatever the reason. I cannot imagine in many instances that the cost of nationalizing and the cost taking the car to the Us to sell is much less than the cost difference over 4 years of permanent savings versus temporal.

Only one of you has to revert to a Temporary or Tourist. A Permanent Resident spouse can drive a foreign plated car owned by the other spouse if that spouse is not a PR.

Aduana, I am told by a person who talks with them often, says they are close to start nationalizing cars such as yours.

best

Sonia

A Residente Permanente may drive the vehicle owned and imported by a spouse who is Temporal or Tourist. He may also drive the car of another expat only if that expat is present in the vehicle. The same rule applies to a Mexican citizen.

The car is not worth it. When we thought we could keep the car, we did this by giving up my wife's four years of FM3 and getting her a tourist permit. Big mistake! Cost a lot of time and double the money cost ultimately of her visa.

Get rid of the car.

The car is not worth it. When we thought we could keep the car, we did this by giving up my wife's four years of FM3 and getting her a tourist permit. Big mistake! Cost a lot of time and double the money cost ultimately of her visa.

Get rid of the car.

Excellent advice Mainecoons. Not worth it. Take it north and sell it. And by no means get involved with anybody who says they have connections and can get your car nationalized, legalized, or any other kind of ized. Sell it and buy a Mexican car and get the monkey off your back......

Thanks Sonia. I had been told that a Permanent Resident could not legally drive and be insured for any foreign plated car. Is it only a spouse's foreign plated car or any foreign plated car that a Permanent Resident can drive?

De nada. Only foreign plated vehicle of a spouse.

Hmmm . . . anybody wanna buy a car?!!!

There is a used car dealer in Riberas beside Mascara Clinic. He has a nice bunch of SUV's right now. Nice guy, fun to talk to, owns the house where the cars are sold. He wanted to buy my truck and resell it. He could clearly see I had Canadian plates. Ask him if you could trade in your car for one of his Mexican plated ones. Check your sales papers and buying papers very carefully. Maybe even hire someone to double check. He will not hold a gun to your head - only proceed if you feel comfortable.

Excellent advice Mainecoons. Not worth it. Take it north and sell it. And by no means get involved with anybody who says they have connections and can get your car nationalized, legalized, or any other kind of ized. Sell it and buy a Mexican car and get the monkey off your back......

Unfortunately it was learned the hard way.

:(

The elephant in the room seems to be "avoid capital gains" issue..sadly know body seems to be able to tell you what are the amount difference between the Permanente or Temporal status.

Also regardless if you have Permenate, if you are selling a house over (I think the number is) 3,000.000 pesos there is capital gains involved.

Given the amount of legislated changes that have taken place over the past 5 years, it is anyone's guess what is going to change during the next 5 years.

Also if you are an American there is the added complication of FBAR nd FATC compliance..Paradise Mexico is not for the faint of heart.God forbid the climate gets screwed up.

Local person for fee takes it to specific place which is fitted with video cameras and then the nighttime pickers come and take it apart. The video and papers are then sent to a DF government place and taken off the tip etc.... cost I have heard about $225 US.

I think your idea of one person taking temporal status or visitor is the way to go. That is what we are doing. It means I can keep my US vehicle. We have Jalisco plated vehicles too. And I can go permanente at any time. I never understood why everyone jumped so high about the car issue when the new rules came into effect. Essentially all permanente does is save you a couple hundred dollars when with some time and the right financial numbers you can go from temporal to permanente whenever you need to for house sales or whatever the reason. I cannot imagine in many instances that the cost of nationalizing and the cost taking the car to the Us to sell is much less than the cost difference over 4 years of permanent savings versus temporal.

It always amazes me that people assume that just because they are retired (for instance), that everyone else is.

"Essentially all permanente does is save you a couple hundred dollars" is not true for all of us. I have had my own business in Mexico since 2004 and I can tell you that permanente status saves me more than a couple hundred dollars, as before that I had to renew my "lucrativa" temporal status every year at twice the price of a normal temporal, not to mention a couple days of lost work having to go to INM every year. So lets say more like $350 every year for 9 years, do the math. It also allows me to work without having to ask permission.

Broke my heart to give up my Canadian-plated, Japanese-made CRV, though.

It always amazes me that people assume that just because they are retired (for instance), that everyone else is.

"Essentially all permanente does is save you a couple hundred dollars" is not true for all of us. I have had my own business in Mexico since 2004 and I can tell you that permanente status saves me more than a couple hundred dollars, as before that I had to renew my "lucrativa" temporal status every year at twice the price of a normal temporal, not to mention a couple days of lost work having to go to INM every year. So lets say more like $350 every year for 9 years, do the math. It also allows me to work without having to ask permission.

Broke my heart to give up my Canadian-plated, Japanese-made CRV, though.

You have a point..but seriously I would guess that folks being/having a business here is an insignificant number compared with the fully retirees

I was not aware that one could give up "residente permanente" status and revert to "residente temporal." Is that actually possible? I was also under the impression that, short of being on a tourist visa and returning to the border every 6 months and entering again as a tourist, after a certain number of years as a "residente temporal" one had no choice except changing to "residente permanente." Is that not true?

Archived