Chapala.com Webboard

Seat Belt Law in Jalisco?

thevalerieleigh

Hoping someone can clarify the seat belt law in Jalisco. I understand the driver must be buckled in but is it required that any passengers also be buckled in?

Haven't had an issue with Vialidad but would like to know the law.

Many thanks for your help!

Valerie :)

Everybody, per the Ley de seguridad del estado de Jalisco:

Artículo 183. Se sancionará a los conductores o propietarios de vehículos que comentan <SIC, typo is theirs> las siguientes infracciones:

I. No utilizar el cinturón de seguridad o hacerlo inadecuadamente, tanto el conductor como todos sus acompañantes

Hoping someone can clarify the seat belt law in Jalisco. I understand the driver must be buckled in but is it required that any passengers also be buckled in?

Yes they're required to buckle up...unless they're sitting in the bed of a pickup truck..

My hubby was a passenger in someone's car and they were pulled over the owner of the car got a ticket because he wasn't bucked up. Now he does!!!

I would agree with Ajijic Hiker...I see very few Mexicans using their seatbelts even in close proximity to traffic cops and it does not seem to draw the same level of attention I seem to get. Of course there are LOTS of traffic laws that get very sporadically enforced here and still most things seem to work most of the time. Functioning anarchy...it brings a whole new meaning to driving defensively .

I would agree with Ajijic Hiker...I see very few Mexicans using their seatbelts even in close proximity to traffic cops and it does not seem to draw the same level of attention I seem to get

If you ever drive in Guadalajara you will see that the great majority of Mexicans do use their seatbelts,for two reasons,safety and to avoid a stiff fine.

And if you think that Mexicans don't get ticketed or hit up for mordidas,think again..

I agree with the above. The mordida transitos target anyone with a nicer vehicle. Here they also target the expats. But I've heard enough from my Mexican friends who live in GDL that the cops are very equal opportunity thieves as cbviajero attests.

In my mind, there's little difference between what the transitos do and what they do with the constant extracting of fat fines for petty traffic offenses NOB that contribute nothing to road safety but are all about fattening the coffers of local governments that rely on that form of theft for a big part of their budgets. This is a common small town racket in North America.

Frankly, I see little difference between the government these days and the criminals except that the criminals seem to be more competent. :D

Thanks for clarifying this for me. I know the fine is 600 pesos and want to make sure I avoid that!

Valerie :)

"except a pick up truck?"

I was just pointing out that while passengers inside a vehicle are required to wear seatbelts,it's legal to have unprotected passengers in the back of a pickup..

The BED of a pickup truck, BigD. Wherein you can cart around a large number of "unbelted" passengers. Which is the reason owners of pickups need to have a chauffeur's driver's license and owners of eight-passenger SUVs do not.

In my mind, there's little difference between what the transitos do and what they do with the constant extracting of fat fines for petty traffic offenses NOB that contribute nothing to road safety but are all about fattening the coffers of local governments that rely on that form of theft for a big part of their budgets. This is a common small town racket in North America.

I agree,the main difference being that NoB you pay in dollars and your insurance premiums go up.

Mainecoons, on 30 May 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:snapback.png

I agree,the main difference being that NoB you pay in dollars and your insurance premiums go up.

It's not a minor thing.
Think the US police are less of a problem than Mexican police in demanding/taking cash in illegitimate roadside stops?

The Washington Post, the CBC, and New Yorker magazine have reported in the past that American cops have been shaking down Americans in roadside "cash seizures", with no warrants, no probable cause, no charges filed, and no arrests to the tune of $2.5 Billion.

More than half of these $2.5 billion in roadside US police shakedowns have the officers "seizing" $8,800 or less with no arrests and no charges filed, making them a lot worse than the 2 quotes propose.

The Washington Post went on to report that when the victims complained, many times the police would offer to give the victims ½ their cash back, if the victims signed waivers - which points to the fact that the police knew the money they were stealing from the victims was not from "criminal enterprises".

Think that the police argument is valid that they are seizing only Drug Lord's money and seizing their Porsches?

Consider that in the US cases where victims filed legal actions against the police, over half the time (more than 50%) the courts ruled that the roadside "seizures" were illegal - illegitimate and ordered the police to refund the $$ to the victims.

(Less than 50% convictions is a terrible % compared to typical US 93% - 95% conviction rates - yet more proof of the illegitimacy of US police roadside shakedowns.)

Read the New Yorker reports about how Mexicans and Blacks are abused by US police taking their cash with no arrests and no charges filed - along with seizing lots of ordinary people's cars - and the CBC report, as US police target both Canadian and Mexican plated cars.

CBC warnings to Canadians traveling in the USA: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/american-shakedown-police-won-t-charge-you-but-they-ll-grab-your-money-1.2760736

Washington Post warnings to travelers in the USA: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/07/police-intelligence-targets-cash/ and http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/stop-and-seize/

New Yorker article on the risks to ordinary motorists: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken

... Use your seatbelts, and use caution with both US and Mexican police. Know your rights, know the law, and remain polite and professional when dealing with both NOB and SOB police, especially if you are Brown, Black, or Canadian.

Not sure whether it is legal or not to carry passengers in the bed of a pick up truck in Mexico. Although I do see hundreds of times where this is the case here, It should be against the law.

I remember seeing a pickup truck going down the main street of Chapala with family of many in the back of the truck and one of them was grilling on a BBQ grill as they were traveling. Never did understand how so many people can be packed into the bed of a pickup with kids sitting on the edges and with standing room only. Seems really dangerous to me but you don't hear of many accidents happening so I guess they know how to work it.

Archived