Chapala.com Webboard

Mel's Restaurant???

dearle

Does anyone know where Mel's Restaurant has moved to? Use to be in the Ajijic Hotel across from the Ajijic Plaza.

I knew he was moving but don't know where. Was at the old place today but he has gone. Desk clerk did not know where.

Appreciate any help.

At her new home one block south of the carretera in West Ajijic on Zaragoza. Turn at the street next to the newest liquor store and she is the corner walled building on the right south corner. Grand Opening is this weekend, I think. Beautiful grounds with large pool, trees, several inside and outside dining areas for smokers, non smokers and game and card players. Lots of close street parking and some parking on inside driveway. This should have been posted in the Cocina section and will probably be moved.

Here's an email that a friend received from Mels on May 25th:

We are back from vacation and in our new fabulous location .

We can't wait to show everyone our new digs. We have been getting the new place ready for the past 4 months now and it's so beautiful.

We are now located at Zaragoza # 44, Ajijic
Two blocks west of Colon right on the south/west corner of Aguiles Serdan and Zaragoza. Second big black door on the left.
We can be reached at 766-4253 or 331-402-4223.

We are reopening Sunday May 31, 2015 for our new and improved BRUNCH from 10-3

Come join us celebrate that special day, you'll enjoy the food and the live entertainment.

Our regular schedule will be Wednesday to Saturday 11 to 5 and Sunday 10-3 , don't forget that the Sunday Brunch is for BREAKFAST and LUNCH as well.

We will continue to be closed Monday and Tuesday.

We have a new menu that will please everyone discerning taste.

Hope to see you on that special day, come hungry.

Take care and thank you for your loyal patronage.

Francine
Mel's
restaurant-bar
766-4253
331-402-4223

M. Isn't Hacienda del Lago on Ocampo, which is two blocks further south and west a half block from Aquiles Serdan.

Of course you are correct. I drove too far down Serdan in my head. Thanks to Oatsie's posting I can visualize it now. Big brick wall on the corner.

This move is going to be much easier on Francine and Bernard. No more traipsing from Joco to Ajijic for the restaurant. Now it is in an unused portion of the estate which they have moved into as their home and on huge, beautiful grounds. So they are now working at home for the very first time. Bernard loves gardening and will be planting vegetables and herbs to be used in the restaurant.

I hope they improve the quality of the food, my group disappointed with meager chicken sandwiches at lunch and just ok dinner at night, so have not been back we will give them another try next wednesday

I've only had brunch at Mel's. I like the made-to-order omelets, but find the extra dishes often have a "leftovers" aspect, so I haven't been there for a long time. Will give them another try (maybe) at the new location. Will report, if it's a positive experience.

If you're in the mood for a drive and an awesome, generous, chicken sandwich, try Arileo's at lunch. Closed Wed.

Is the Bernard mentioned in earlier posts to this topic the same Bernard who opened a French cuisine establishment here years ago and also claimed to have been a chef at the King Edward Hotel in Toronto? Also had a restaurant on the southside of the Carretera as your enter La Floresta from the east?

At her new home one block south of the carretera in West Ajijic on Zaragoza. Turn at the street next to the newest liquor store and she is the corner walled building on the right south corner. Grand Opening is this weekend, I think. Beautiful grounds with large pool, trees, several inside and outside dining areas for smokers, non smokers and game and card players. Lots of close street parking and some parking on inside driveway. This should have been posted in the Cocina section and will probably be moved.

And I would suggest that if you are going to park on both sides of the street as many are wont to do, park close to the curb

and pull in your mirrors. Aquiles Serdan is one of the few two way streets and the beer, coke, gas, etc trucks go thru

regularly....never mind the rest of us who can't get down the street.

Archived