Chapala.com Webboard

Re-entering Mexico with S. Dakota plated vehicle

Has anyone any experience re-entering Mexico with a S. Dakota plated vehicle? I recently had to come NOB for medical reasons, and I hope to go back within a couple of months. I have a 1981 Datsun wagon that was loaded to the gills when I arrived at San Luis Rio Colorado in March. It was late afternoon, I'm a 74 y/o woman, alone. By the time Homeland Security got done searching and I finished re-packing the car, it was getting late. I have cataracts and wanted to make Yuma before dark. I didn't know to go to the Mexican side to have the sticker removed and my money refunded, and by the time I found out, it was too late, as I can't drive in the dark.

Anyone have any advice as to how I can bring my beloved car, Matilda back to Mexico with me? I've owned her for 17 years and do not ever want another kind of car.

If your status is an FMM tourist (visitante) permit, both you and your car permit ‘expired‘ the moment you crossed the border from Mexico to the USA. But, as far as Mexico knows, it seems that you are still there; when you really aren‘t.

My suggestion is that you drive to a border crossing and enter the INM and Banjercito areas. Tell them you want to turn in your car‘s Importada Temporal and your FMM tourist permit. Do so and drive back into the USA. Spend a night in a motel and re-enter Mexico the next day; maybe even at a different crossing. Get a new FMM for another 180 days and a fresh Importada Temporal.

If all goes well, you should get your deposit back and be able to stay in Mexico until spring 2016. The next time, check out properly and avoid having to do this again. :mellow:

Thanks, RVGringo. I really thought I was going to stay NOB, but do not want to do so. I love Mexico and have many friends down there. Most of my stateside friends have passed away. Depending on how my medical tests come out, I may not be able to go back. :018: I may be joining my stateside friends. :wacko:

I had a trailer when I entered Mexico, but it was stolen while there. I did not report it, thinking the police couldn't do anything about it if the plates had been taken off, and they probably had been. I do not see anything in the paperwork indicating a trailer, but may have overlooked something; therefore, I could have a problem there, too.

I had been very sick for several months and only had been well enough to drive for about a week when I left Jocotepec. My mind was not working much better than my body. Joco to San Luis Rio Colorado is a long way to drive for an old gal.

Jocaloca,

The news about your car's import permit status is good.

You said above that you have "temporary" status until October, and confirmed again that you have a valid un-expired Resident Temporal (equivalent to the old FM3) until October.

Because you have kept your INM temporary residency permit valid for the past years, your Aduana issued car import permit is still valid, and stays valid until your INM permit expires.

You can drive back into Mexico with confidence, because your car permit should still be valid.

On a different issue, you wrote that you had 2 prior years on your FM3 and will be completing 2 years on your current Residente Temporal visa. We are only allowed 4 years total on a temporary residency visa, so you will likely need to get a new Residente Temporal visa in October, when your current visa expires.

You have 2 routes available to getting another fresh Residente Temporal (for 4 more years) this October. You can start the application process back in the USA, at a Mexican Consulate, or you can talk with Spencer ( Intercasa ) about how to apply for a new Residente Temporal visa here in Mexico.

Spencer can also explain your options on how to deal with your car's import permit with Aduana & Banjercito this coming October. It may be easiest to apply - now - for a new Residente Temporal permit at a Mexican Consulate in the USA, and to apply for a new car temporary import permit when you re-enter Mexico.

This is a good opportunity to talk with Spencer and learn your best options.

Safe travels.

If your status is an FMM tourist (visitante) permit, both you and your car permit ‘expired‘ the moment you crossed the border from Mexico to the USA. But, as far as Mexico knows, it seems that you are still there; when you really aren‘t.

My suggestion is that you drive to a border crossing and enter the INM and Banjercito areas. Tell them you want to turn in your car‘s Importada Temporal and your FMM tourist permit. Do so and drive back into the USA. Spend a night in a motel and re-enter Mexico the next day; maybe even at a different crossing. Get a new FMM for another 180 days and a fresh Importada Temporal.

If all goes well, you should get your deposit back and be able to stay in Mexico until spring 2016. The next time, check out properly and avoid having to do this again. :mellow:

Good advice.................

" If your status is an FMM tourist (visitante) permit, both you and your car permit ‘expired‘ the moment you crossed the border from Mexico to the USA. But, as far as Mexico knows, it seems that you are still there; when you really aren‘t. ... "

Good advice.................

Jocaloca has twice written that she has temporary residency. The advice about FMMs does not fit her situation.

Her auto import permit has not expired, based on her posted info,

Thanks, Snowyco,

I actually entered Mexico in 2012 with a 180 permit, and got the 2 year FM3 before it expired. I'll see Spencer when I get back to check out renewing it for 2 more years, but it looks like I will be able to enter Mexico with Matilda. I understand the auto import permit is supposed to be good for the same time as my Resident Temporal, but by not turning in the sticker when I came across, I feared I had ruined my chances to take her back with me.

Any word on the smog laws? She does not currently have a catalytic converter, but I plan to put one on here in California before I take her back in. I'm confident she'll smog here, as she's always been very good, and just before I left 3 years ago to go down there, the mechanics I had tuning her up said she'd sail right through if she had a catalytic converter.

Thanks for all the responses to my post. I sincerely appreciate it.

Oh, oh! The trailer may cause a problem the next time you exit Mexico. It and the car were imported as a unit. There should be a trailer (remolque) endorsement on your TIP. If so, you will not be given a receipt for your sticker without having the trailer in tow.

Catch-22, I think.

RV,

I am so confused.

When I read Jocoloca's 3 posts, I understand that she has a valid Residente Temporal until October, which means she does NOT have any problems with her car permit.

Jocoloca's latest post says that she will be completing just 3 years on her current Residente Temporal permit (first approved in 2012).

Because she is not completing 4 years, completing only 3 years this October, Jocoloca can easily renew her Residente Temporal for another year and also renew her car's Aduana temporary import for another year, by notifying Aduana of the Oct 2015 Residente Temporal visa renewal.

I can see no reason for her to turn in her auto permit. Why not just renew both for another year?

There are multiple possible scenarios. Is the trailer on her TIP? If not, no problem. If so, it complicates the matter. It probably is.

If she had previous FM3/2 and for sufficient time, she could even become Permanente now, if desired.

If she wants, she could try the exit/re-enter to get the TIP replaced for more time without the hassle of being sure to notify Aduana for another year; or never, if she goes in and out frequently enough to always have fresh TIPs.

Anyway, Residente Permanente will eventually happen and the car question will be moot.

RV,

I am so confused.

When I read Jocoloca's 3 posts, I understand that she has a valid Residente Temporal until October, which means she does NOT have any problems with her car permit.

Jocoloca's latest post says that she will be completing just 3 years on her current Residente Temporal permit (first approved in 2012).

Because she is not completing 4 years, completing only 3 years this October, Jocoloca can easily renew her Residente Temporal for another year and also renew her car's Aduana temporary import for another year, by notifying Aduana of the Oct 2015 Residente Temporal visa renewal.

I can see no reason for her to turn in her auto permit. Why not just renew both for another year?

I am in this camp also. Yes, there are 'potentials' for something to happen down the road vis a vie the trailer but she has options with a stolen trailer. Why 'squander' her currently viable immigration status. Just let her drive right back on into Mexico like she wants to do and renew her Termporal in October for another year. Worry about what may happen later because it may not happen and probably won't. Just my opinion....

She can certainly do that, but should also know the options and variables. We still do not know if the trailer is, in fact, on her TIP, but I suspect that it is.

Oh well.........I think she has gone.

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to address this issue. I've not left, just hoping Spencer would clear this up, since there are so many conflicting opinions, and I'm still in a muddle.

It appears the trailer is on the TIP, but I only have a copy of the TIP available at this time, as the original is in storage, and the copy is very difficult to read. Looks as if the government seals are printed over it. At any rate, I do see the word "Remolque" on the right side of the page, so I think it is there. If I just tell them that I didn't bring it out with me as I was only leaving temporarily for medical reasons, do you think they would accept that? I expect my family to be the ones who will be bringing Matilda out, if she comes out at all. I may leave her to a Mexican friend of mine who could make very good use of her.

I meant to say that my immigration status went like this: I got a 180 day visitor's permit in March of 2012. In September 2012, I returned from NOB after leaving Mexico for medical treatment. I got another 180 day permit, then got the 2 year Residente Temporal before that permit ran out. I've had 3 years total in Mexico, I hope this better explains my immigration status.

Thanks again to all. I'm looking forward to getting back down there.

Glad that you are back, but with the unfortunate trailer problem. To officially remove the car from Mexico, which you are obligated to do, it must have the trailer attached in order for Aduana/Banjercito to remove the TIP sticker and give you a receipt. They will not do it without the trailer. It should have been reported stolen to the Ministerio Publico. Maybe Spencer can help you with that, even after the fact.

The conditions of your TIP prohibit selling or even giving away the car in Mexico.

If you do not take it out of Mexico legally (Catch-22) you will be subject to fines to the value of the car and cannot import another.

Yes, “remolque“ is the word for trailer, so it is on your Importada Temporal. You will need the original for any action you may take.

I hope that all does not confuse anyone, but that is just the way it is.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

Jocaloca,

The news about your car's import permit status is good.

You said above that you have "temporary" status until October, and confirmed again that you have a valid un-expired Resident Temporal (equivalent to the old FM3) until October.

Because you have kept your INM temporary residency permit valid for the past years, your Aduana issued car import permit is still valid, and stays valid until your INM permit expires.

You can drive back into Mexico with confidence, because your car permit should still be valid.

The above is part of the post from Snowyco. I do not know how to include partial posts, as this is my first time posting on any forum. Below is what Spencer has told me.

Thanks again to all who've posted their opinions on this issue. I spoke with Spencer this morning and he agrees with Snowyco that I should be able to just bring Matilda back in, although I may have to be adamant with the Aduana. Of course, I'll need to get back there before the expiration date on my Residente Temporal. He also had another suggestion that I won't discuss here. At any rate, my stress level has gone way down.

Archived