Chapala.com Webboard

Car Rental at GDL

Hi All

Has anyone had any recent experience with car rentals at the airport? We need one for 3 weeks in July.

We usually rent a friend's car once we get to Ajijic but unfortunately Bessie is gone.

I have heard that insurance is expensive & there are 2 insurance costs in Mx. I believe that our credit card will cover one insurance but another (Mexican) ins. has to be paid by all.

If anyone has any advice or the name of a contact, it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Our Citibank American Air card will pay for CDW for up to 30 day rental. In Mexico we have never been able to avoid them charging something like "optional liability" insurance, even though liability ins in on the CAR, not the driver ( just look in the glove box for a copy of of the policy). In GDL it shouldn't be more than $10 a day. Hard to avoid.

• 3 months later...

A week ago we paid 3611 pesos (~$220 USD) for a Nissan Versa (7 day rental) at National Car Rental in GDL. This was the final price I paid at the end of the week in cash after all extras and taxes were paid. The car was almost new. We had a letter from MasterCard to cover the CDW. I'm sure a cheaper rental car could be found but the airport convenience would be hard to beat.

We also had rented a "good deal" at the airport and had the CDW letter from our card company and the rental company at airport still insisted that we get extra insurance at a really high price. We refused and did without a vehicle and In the end we got our money back because in the small print it did say that with a letter we did not need it. However it took a lot of arm twisting to get it. We had to start posting this information online before the rental company took notice and refunded what we had paid. Cannot remember the name of the rental company but the principal applies to all. Beware.

Archived