Chapala.com Webboard

Airline ticket fees.

Jistme

Not sure where to post this, but here goes.

Bought airline tickets from a local agent a few days ago. After we paid for the flights with our credit card, agent issued a receipt.

However...the agent then asked for separate fees of 500 pesos each, in cash, plus another 150 pesos each.

The explanation was that the 500 peso fee is for some kind of "Airport security"..seemingly has to do with the 911 incident, and must be paid if one has a stopover at an American airport.

After I arrived home I realized that we had not been issued receipts for these extra's.

I'm not saying this is an illegal charge, just appreciate an explanation.

Thanks for any responses.

I usually buy my tickets online and all the taxes and fees are included. I find it interesting that the agent wanted cash and then no receipt.

Maybe you should go online to the airline you booked with and look at your reservation. Usually if you click on taxes it will give a detail of what each charge is for under the taxes and fees.

With a few excetions, airlines no longer pay commissions to travel agents. It has become customary for almost all brick and morter agencies and some online booking sites to charge a service fee. In fact, most airlines charge a ticketing fee if you call them to purchase a ticket rather than purchasing it online. The cost of this fee should always be disclosed before the ticket is issued and the purchaser's credit card charged.

Archived