Chapala.com Webboard

Below is a letter I have sent to The Reporter, Mexico News Daily and the Ojo. The Ojo probably won't print it because it's controversial. I am asking the community to get this out to as many people as possible. This is such an outrage.

Two nights ago a beautiful, sweet, fat, healthy, pregnant, registered, Palomino Mare was slaughtered. How did this happen? The exotic meat trade. A gang has been operating here for a number of years. They usually load the animals on trucks, in the dark and take them away to be slaughtered, leaving fences open and no trace. Farmers search for their animals and of course, they are never found. Money lures men and women into this 'trade'. They steal the animals and pass them off to the waiting buyers. Locals know who they are and can prove nothing.

This time was different. The mare was killed locally and reported, somehow. She was brought to the home of one of the killers. His wife and children were present. When the police arrived the mare was dead but, still on the property and four of the killers were arrested, three males and a woman. Two of the arrested confessed and started to talk. They face 12 years in a Mexican prison, if convicted. One of the men was the driver of the truck and had numerous parts of animals in the truck. These incomplete carcasses indicated there was more than one truck. He had his 4 year old daughter with him. The police took pictures of the mare. She was recognized by a person at the police station and the owner of the mare was called. He was offered a substantial amount of money by the killers to drop charges, which he refused, saying he would rather see them in jail. It would not bring back his lovely mare. The next morning 17+ farmers held a meeting with the police. An 'Official' arrived claiming that the killers had 'rights'. He could see no proof. The animals were bought by 'legitimate buyers'. The mare's owner did not sell his mare to the buyers and was pressured to prove HIS ownership, which he did by producing registration papers. The buyers had no Bill of Sale. The two males that stole the mare, and had confessed, were released by this Official, claiming there was no proof they had stolen her. The legitimate buyers, the man and woman, are still in jail as I write this. I'm sure they will be released soon. The locals are outraged. This has been going on for years and this is the first time these killers have been caught, red handed. This is the first time there is proof and it will not make any difference. It would take a lot of money, from the farmers, to pursue prosecution of these killers. It was made clear that the Officials are not going to see these men and women put, or kept, behind bars. Exotic meat is big business and the Kingpin/s will just find more local men and women to lure into this criminal behavior and more Officials to pay off. These animals; cows, horses, dogs, cats are the livelihood of the locals. It is outrageous that we read about Sea Cucumbers being smuggled out of Mexico to satisfy the tastes if a few. Horse, cat and dog meat is in demand in Europe and China. The Mexican Officials are obviously being paid off. This has got to be stopped. These hard working farmers deserve justice.

My own note: My fat, healthy, sweet, horse was in the same field. Why he was not taken is a miracle. I am asking to withhold my name because of possible retaliation. If you would like to contact me please ask the Reporter to forward any questions or information.

This is horrendous!!! It reflects the Mexican culture in many ways. We can have no faith in the judicial process here. Is there anything that we can do about it or do we just accept the fact that corruption here is just a way of life?

I learned of this horrible slaughter Thursday afternoon and was sickened by it. So sorry for the owners of these beautiful animals. While I am happy to hear the assassins were caught, I'm troubled to learn they may not be prosecuted. This is quite disconcerting.

Valerie :(

Horses,dogs and cats being stolen and slaughtered at Lakeside for export to overseas markets.....

That's the strange part of the tale..diandbeau..

Hey, cbviajero----Were you there to see the inside of the truck? This is not a TALE.

Maine Coon- They were all released.

To all- I am going to keep perusing this. I am putting myself and my precious horse in harms way. This has got to stop. Men have been arrested in the past with nothing being done except 'Local Justice' which I fear my be the result of what has happened. This was a beautiful horse. She was such a love and and a pleasure to work with. I am so deeply saddened by this. As a community we have to see this travesty end. If you love Mexico and appreciate the hard working farmers here DO SOMETHING!

Guest bennie2

cbverjero does not live @ lakeside, does not know the details. the OP is telling the truth. why should anyone doute this? it is also not the first time. i dont think there is anything you can do.

Bennie2- you are right this is not the first time. It happens a lot. In the past when nothing was done to stop it, "Local Justice" was the result. This is not the way to handle this problem but, I do think it is the only option for the poor farmers. They also fear retaliation from the killers. This is a powerful group. Big Business.

Can you raise money to help prosecute the killers? I am sure there are people here that would contribute? Can the farmers and the owner go to a higher level of justice? This really is horrible. Worse than property crime.

Exotic meat is big business and the Kingpin/s will just find more local men and women to lure into this criminal behavior and more Officials to pay off. These animals; cows, horses, dogs, cats are the livelihood of the locals. It is outrageous that we read about Sea Cucumbers being smuggled out of Mexico to satisfy the tastes if a few. Horse, cat and dog meat is in demand in Europe and China. The Mexican Officials are obviously being paid off. This has got to be stopped. These hard working farmers deserve justice.

"...dogs and cats are the livelihood of the locals."???

Only way to stop this is by delivering "justice" to the killers outside of the legal system. Apparently a horse thief was caught a while back in Mezcala - ended up losing his hand. I live in the community where this has been going on for some time and know a few of the people that have lost cows or horses. Some of the family members of the killers have been seen with packed bags and are getting "outa Dodge". There will likely be repercussions, the whole community is abuzz over this. Apparently the police say there has been about 100 animals go missing.

A decade ago, donkeys were abundant, both domesticated and wild, as well as wild horses which came to the lake at sundown in Chapala. Suddenly, hardly any at all............It changed the flavor of the lakeside towns quite a bit.

Postings on political and governmental facebook pages get alot of attention. Making these things public with no action by authorities does have an effect.

Set the issue aside regarding what animals are used for food.

The point here is that the animals being discussed had owners and they were stolen and butchered. The mare had an owner who loved this animal and someone stole it. That is a crime.

ValGal - You are right on. This mare was NOT SOLD to the meat buyers. She was stolen and butchered. There is a rumor that the kid who was allowed to ride her before she came here, was the one who lured her out of the field.

Ezzie - Yes, his hand was cut off. Too bad they didn't slit his throat. This happened in the same hard working, poor area with no political strength. It's a travesty.

Harry B - I'm trying to get this out. Please help. I have no influence. Is there is someone out there that can put pressure on anybody? My letter to the Reporter has received no response. Does anyone care enough to write?

Gringal - You are very correct. Eating meat is a choice. But, one animal is not being viewed or valued as food and another not. There is no sentimentality here. The problem is that the mare was stolen. She was butchered, inhumanly.

Poe Bango - I have tried to email the contacts you have listed for animal abuse. The emails are returned. Do you have any other information?

To Everyone - Does anyone have information on the people who can be contacted for animal abuse? Please, sent me the information. Thank you.

Understand that I am not suggesting this, but do you have the name of the "OFFICIAL"? Probably wouldn't be too hard to track down his address. Wouldn't it be interesting if someone were to spray paint a row of red horse heads on his wall using a stencil?

Update: This situation is becoming a political issue. It seems with the elections coming up, the anger of the locals, and wanting to get re-elected, the officials are falling over each other. More farmers have come forward. Three more people are in jail. The 'legitimate buyers' have NOT been released but, have lawyered up and one more man was arrested yesterday. 3 men are still in jail so, there is a total of 6 people in jail. The boy that was released is in hiding. His family has abandoned their fields and moved their animals (yes, they have horses, cows and goats) to a different location. They are being ostracized by the town. Stores are refusing to sell them food and other items. The man, who's mare was killed, has for years, allowed this family to use his land for the gazing of their animals.

I found out why my horse was not taken. The truck driver said, there was only room for one horse and the mare was fatter. The reason they were caught? He said they had trouble cutting up the mare because of her large size and could not escape before the police arrived.

Are we all rats in a maze and eating each other?

The pit bull story is just another example of the cruelty, lack of regard for animals and the danger these terribly, treated animals pose. This is a serious problem, not only for other animals but, for us as well. There have to be controls put in place. Local Justice is not the answer, as was the severed hand of a man in the past.

MtnMama - I would like to publish names but, we are all aware of the consequences which would result. Hopefully pressure will work this time and there will be real justice.

Archived