Chapala.com Webboard

Insurance for rental cars in U.S.?

Any suggestions about the least expensive way to get insurance on a rental car in the U.S.? The Mexican insurance I have on my Mexican-plated car won’t cover it, and buying coverage from the rental agency was exorbitant the last time I did that.

If tou rent theough Priceline they offer an insurance package dor around $11 a day, must pay before pocking yp the rental. I reas the policy once a while back and it seemed adequate. But that was a long time ago, try looking into it?

If you rent using a major credit card, the credit card company automatically insures. Contact your card carrier if in doubt. I have a credit card and only ever use it for that purpose, then pay it off online as soon as I get home.

I used to think that was true but have since found out not necessarily. Check with your credit card company.

This is incorrect; all US rental cars include liability insurance.

This is incorrect. The price quoted for a rental assumes you have USA insurance. When you show up with a Mexican license you are forced to buy the liability that is mandated by the state you are in. It can be very expensive. I have actually stood at the rental counter and called my credit card company to check and they confirmed that their coverage is collision only. I believe this to be true of all the major cards.

The OP's question is a very good one. It would be nice to have the liability coverage arranged in advance at a reasonable price.

If you live in Mexico year round, your US or Canadian credit card insurance may not be valid. For example, my Canadian credit card only provides collision damage insurance on a rental car if I am a "permanent resident of Canada" Permanent resident is defined as living in Canada for 6 months.

I just checked the receipt for my recent rental through Hertz in Florida - I had to pay almost $10 per day extra for liability insurance as it was not covered in the rental rate.

I rented a vehicle through Budget in British Columbia about 3 years ago and they told me they have to include liability insurance by law. However, I am not sure this is true for all provinces.

My Mexican insurance company provides liability insurance in the US and Canada on their Mexican policy. However. it is for a maximum of MXN$1,200,000 which, in my view, is not enough in the US or Canada.

My Mexican insurance company provides liability insurance in the US and Canada on their Mexican policy. However. it is for a maximum of MXN$1,200,000 which, in my view, is not enough in the US or Canada.

That's interesting. So presumably if one could present proof that you were covered to the minimum that the state requires then the rental company couldn't force you to buy their overpriced product.

I'll have to check with my Mexican insurance company.

That's interesting. So presumably if one could present proof that you were covered to the minimum that the state requires then the rental company couldn't force you to buy their overpriced product.

I'll have to check with my Mexican insurance company.

My insurance policy is issued by Qualitas and says on the one sheet cover note: "RC Danos a Terceros EUA Y Canada" MXN$1,200,000

But does that only cover your Mexican car? What about a rental?

That's a good point. I will check tomorrow and post the answer. Generally the question of liability insurance hasn't come up in previous years when we had a Canadian policy as it was clear that it covered liability even if I was driving another vehicle either in Canada or a rental in another country. But it is always best to check with anything like this when in Mexico. as the rules aren't necessarily the same.

But does that only cover your Mexican car? What about a rental?

I picked up my renewed insurance policy today and was told that the liability coverage does not apply to rental cars. Mexican liability insurance is associated with the vehicle. Therefore, anyone with a valid drivers's licence is covered when they drive the vehicle.

In summary, if you rent a car, unless it is specifically included in the rental contract, you need to obtain separate liability coverage either from the car rental company or through a third party.

If you are a USAA member call them and ask for a Touring Policy. This is a very inexpensive policy that covers you in a rental vehicle. I belive you must NOT OWN a car in the USA to have one of these. IT DOES NOT cover your Mexican car in the USA, it is ONLY for rental vehicles world wide. I had this coverage several years ago and if memory serves me correctly it was a 300K combine single limit for liability and property damage. I know the policy still exists (inquired a few months ago) as I will soon be selling my car back in the states and obtaining a Touring Policy. Be sure to learn how this policy works... IT IS NOT a replacement for normal automobile insurance.

Archived