Chapala.com Webboard

Car insurance for NOB trip

I've been told repeatedly that you can only buy liability insurance when talking a Mexican plated car NOB. No collision coverage. Is this correct?

That's also what I've been told. I'm not aware of any insurers that will provide collision or comprehensive coverage NOB on Mexican plated vehicles.

That is also what my experience has been, and it makes perfect sense if you think about it. To offer collision insurance, the carrier would have to have the expectation of parts availability at known prices for a foreign vehicle with non-standard specifications.

Here's from a recent short-term segurogringo.com policy that covers Mexico-plated personal vehicles in the US. (An additional option covers Canada.)

You select the limits of liability, up to $300,000 CSL:

1. Bodily injury

2. Property damage

3, Combined single limits

4. Medical payments

We just found out through Qualitas that if we get in an accident up north that we cannot have the work done in the states, we would have to pay to have our vehicle returned to MX for the work.

Any short term policies cover us so we wouldn't have to deal with this just in case?

Sounds like all one can get is liability insurance.

That is pretty much the situation that we found. So, with our brand new Jalisco plated car, we drove through sone eight states with just the minimum liability. My only accident was in a blizzard in 1954, so I calculated the odds and enjoyed the trip.

Archived