Chapala.com Webboard

NOISE PROBLEM AT PLAZA BUGAMBILIAS UPSTAIRS IN AJIJIC

ezpz

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will be surprised how many people will bitch about the (any) situation, but will baulk at signing a complaint/ petition....good luck

My neighbors in Guadalajara ALL signed a petition and were successful in getting a club to turn down the volume and curtail their hours.

Once again the proper procedure is:

The neighbors put together a complaint with as many signatures as possible. Note this is the second complaint against the same offender.

Submit to Official Mayor de Padron y Licencias in Chapala. It was C. Luis Ernesto Lopez Amavizca. Get a stamped copy back as proof of submission

(All events need a licence .Basic time limit is four hours or 11 p.m.. A one time permit can be had for 12 p.m. Only historical events by municipalities can go beyond this, i.e. village saints festivals)

Submit copies of the complaint to the mayors office and the chief of police. Again, get stamped copies as proof of submission.

What do you do if they stay within the hours but the loudness levels obviously exceed the standards?

Same thing. There are municipal workers trained to measure the levels and authorized to fine and or shut down the business. I forget what their title is , but, they work for the licensing office and enforce the licensing .

So how do we find these guys and get them over here in the evenings when this is going on? The municipal offices are closed when the nightly racket starts.

Realistically, do you think anyone there is going to do anything before the election? Given what you've gone through to get any services from the current bunch I wouldn't be optimistic.

I'll find out the title of the enforcers. Then, you call the police and ask them to bring out the enforcement officer who can do something. The police can only request compliance. Mexico , eh!

Also remember that you can download a dB meter to most any smart phone. And although your phone dB meter may not be calibrated or totally accurate, if the permissible limit was only 55 dB and your meter reading was 85 dB, these figures might be helpful.

According to the Guadalajara Reporter, at least two months ago, they appointed a new head of Reglamentos in Chapala. They had high hopes for him - he apparently had a unique personality, was thought to be honest, and was not too politically affiliated. An ideal candidate. He quit after two months. He said the tiangui and malecon vendors were an impossible group to work with, no possibilities of compromise. This is the group that seems to be the focus of enforcing the regulations. It could change after the elections.

I recall he also complained about the corruption and cronyism in the current Chapala administration, namely that he couldn't do the job because of the favoritism coming from above.

I know when he got appointed several of us planned to visit him and discuss our problem with the "Noise for Profit" business across the street but by the time we were ready, he was gone.

The potholed streets and huge percentage tax hikes aren't the only legacy of this unfortunate Chapala administration.

Harry, I really think that one of the best things you and Hector can do to assist this situation at this point is to put the pressure on the candidates for Presidente to take a stand on this matter.

That's all well and good but can you explain why MEXICANS demanded and PASSED noise control laws and MEXICANS are having them enforced in their neighborhoods. Perhaps your view of "freedom of expression" is not shared by MEXICANS.

We must have a bunch of MEXICANS running around with NOB attitudes. Yeah, that must be it.

That's an entertaining story and post Pedro but we're not talking about celebrations or parties, we're talking about businesses that make loud noise around them day in and day out, week in and week out. Everyone I know including us grins and bears it and get out the ear plugs during the loud holiday celebrations.

For example, we have the Fiesta of San Andreas which goes for like 10 days. We know that some folks go to the beach that week and we have been known to do so but we also usually stay for the festivities. And the noise.

I'm curious as to who is hanging out at Plaza Bugambillas at two in the morning weekdays. Are these really people who have to get up the next morning and go to work?

Also, could you explain to us what MEXICAN culture is being expressed by bad gringo music played mainly by and for gringos for profit regardless of the reasonable expectation of neighbors in a residential area not to be serenaded six nights per week in their living rooms?

Do you suppose that GREED and LACK OF CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS may have something to do with it?

We'll wait. :)

Mainecoons, your input and opinions are always respected and appreciated by me. I've gleaned much from your posts and again, you do not disappoint.

Clearly your situation is much different in Ajijic than what I was speaking to. I'm fairly new to the area and still not full time and had no idea there where noise ordinances in Ajijic. If that is the law, it should be respected and enforced. I sympathize with your plight and that of your neighborhood. I agree whole heartedly that that is a complete lack of consideration (and so is banda music at 3:00am) and the fact it is coming from a bar for profit and the noise coming from drunk gringos, makes it a whole other animal. Good luck with getting the ordinance enforced. What you are describing would have completely driven me out of my mind! Dealing with bar noise 7 days a week would definitely bring out the homicidal in me. I'm sorry you have to endure that.

I rather doubt the same noise ordinances exists in my neighborhood here in Joco since it is quiet most of the time, but this discussion has inspired me to investigate if we have any such ordinances here. I was speaking to "noise" generated by Mexicans and their traditions where no Mexican law exists against it. As much as it may bother me personally, I have nothing to say in the matter and must respect the local culture or move. My wife is Mexican and she provides me with an additional frame of reference which I'm grateful for. Mexicans are much more tolerant than us Gringos when it comes to these kind of late night disturbances whether in the form of drunks or banda music which most likely are combining both. Most of it does not even wake her! It simply amazes me! And when it does, she really can't understand why I get so worked up about it! This has provided me with the opportunity for introspection. How reasonable are my cultural NOB expectations in the face of this much more relaxed, tolerant culture I've chosen as my home? It's clear that I must learn to adapt and have no right to expect the culture to adapt to me. And though I may not be used to it, I admire the degree of personal freedom that exists here. We don't even realize how much freedom has been taken away from us in the US. It's been gradual but ever constant that we don't even notice until we have something to compare it to. My country is quickly becoming a police state. I've witnessed expressions of personal freedom here in Mexico that are respected and tolerated by the authorities that would warrant the SWAT teams to be sent out with clubs and tear gas in the US! Events that blew my mind when transposing them onto a US scenario. Situations that helped open my eyes to how little freedoms we have left NOB other than the right to shop til you drop which is one of the distractions provided to confuse and obscure our reality. With all of Mexico's internal problems and faults, I've experienced more personal freedom here than I ever have NOB and I respect and want to protect that even if it causes me to loose sleep occasionally.

And Ajijic_hiker; if you were a Mexican National in your own country and me as your foreign or Mexican neighbor and even though I may not like it, the answer is YES.......... All my other Mexican neighbors had no problem with the banda music at 3:00am, so my having a problem with it is just that, MY PROBLEM. I have to work it out for myself. Typically American to want to impose my will on those around me. Look at what damage and destruction this attitude has cost and continues to cost the world today!

Banda in Jocotopec, NoB music in Ajijic. Apples and Oranges.....both noisy, though, and I don‘t like either.

This is Jalisco. Bring on the mariachi.....venga la musica.

Here, here RVGRINGO! Mariachi would have been so much less painful at 3:00am, even possibly welcomed!

Yeah, we sure love Mariachi and wish we had more of it and a lot less of that stupid gringo noise.

But not at 3 AM! :D

This coming year is going to be the one where we get a hotel in GDL for the Mariachi festival. They have some great ones there. I remember landing at the airport one time and apparently some big convention was coming to town, the sponsors had a really excellent Mariachi band playing outside near the taxi zone. We stood and listened for nearly an hour before going home with big smiles on our faces.

Yeah, we sure love Mariachi and wish we had more of it and a lot less of that stupid gringo noise.

But not at 3 AM! :D

This coming year is going to be the one where we get a hotel in GDL for the Mariachi festival. They have some great ones there. I remember landing at the airport one time and apparently some big convention was coming to town, the sponsors had a really excellent Mariachi band playing outside near the taxi zone. We stood and listened for nearly an hour before going home with big smiles on our faces.

I can't agree more, it's my favorite too!

I've still not experienced the festival but it's on my list if I can plan on being there in September sometime. Mariachi baths my Soul!

Do see the mariachi parade, then go to some of the venues. When the time comes, you can go online and find where various mariachi will visit smaller towns in Jalisco that week. Pick out a couple of small towns and be there; it is a once in a lifetime experience. We used to visit Tlajomulco de Zuniga, just over the mountain, for mairiachi, as well as just for fun at other times. We were generally the only expats there and loved it. Other bands will visit such places as Atotonilco, La Barca, Ocotlan, etc., so check the lists and times for the mariachi festival week.

Do see the mariachi parade, then go to some of the venues. When the time comes, you can go online and find where various mariachi will visit smaller towns in Jalisco that week. Pick out a couple of small towns and be there; it is a once in a lifetime experience. We used to visit Tlajomulco de Zuniga, just over the mountain, for mairiachi, as well as just for fun at other times. We were generally the only expats there and loved it. Other bands will visit such places as Atotonilco, La Barca, Ocotlan, etc., so check the lists and times for the mariachi festival week.

Thanks so much for the heads up! I'll be in heaven checking this out!

Is there a particular website where I can search this schedule of events? If so, do you have the address?

So how do we find these guys and get them over here in the evenings when this is going on? The municipal offices are closed when the nightly racket starts.

Realistically, do you think anyone there is going to do anything before the election? Given what you've gone through to get any services from the current bunch I wouldn't be optimistic.

Invite them to dinner?

Thanks so much for the heads up! I'll be in heaven checking this out!

Is there a particular website where I can search this schedule of events? If so, do you have the address?

There will be a Guadalajara Mariachi festival website with all that information. Maybe it is a permanent site; look for it as the time approaches; proximamente is all it says now.

http://www.mariachi-jalisco.com.mx/

There will be a Guadalajara Mariachi festival website with all that information. Maybe it is a permanent site; look for it as the time approaches; proximamente is all it says now.

http://www.mariachi-jalisco.com.mx/

Thanks soooo much RVGRINGO! All you guys and girls are invaluable! So lucky I am to be in contact with you!

UPDATE! My handyman was just here fixing something and we got to talking about local music because I was playing/watching Marvin Gaye videos on Utube. A very cool "ad" came up which was produced in Guadalajara featuring some of the top rock musicians there doing a great production of the great Mariachi hit, "Guadalajara", He said one of those musicians lived here in Ajijic. Bueno!

That got us talking about music and noise (I'm doing this all in Spanish) and HE asked ME if I could hear the new noise coming from Plaza B. I asked him if he could hear it and he said Yes. I knew he lived in the area, but I never knew exactly where. He said he lives near Hotel Italo! That's around 5 blocks from Plaza B, and he said all the neighbors hated this, too!

He said the soundproofing materials were available here and that that is the only way this loud noise can be tolerated. BECAUSE IT IS ONLY NOISE - IT IS NOT THE CHEERFUL, ROMANTIC, MELODIOUS TRADITIONAL MUSIC OF MEXICO! Besides their outdoor 3RD floor terrace, Plaza B has a large room up there that could be used IF!!! the proper steps are taken.

I told him to talk to all his neighbors about this issue so we can get together and DO something - and also that it should be an issue in the local election coming up. We need to stick together on this issue! SOMOS UNO! WE ARE ONE!!

I also let him know that certain neighbors took action over a year ago which brought about the positive changes at El Barco, who tortured the neighbors for FOUR YEARS with their rot-gut rock music played at excruciating levels.

Here are a couple videos from a couple great "rock" groups from Guadalajara who have not forgotten their roots! If only we could hear stuff like this coming from bars...

BARRIO ZUMBA

MANA

Archived