Chapala.com Webboard

2 accidents in front of Walmart within days

anyone see the jaguar in Walmart parking lot. It looks like it came from the street jumped the curb and landed in the parking lot also hitting the car parked away from everyone. Ambulance was there.

Earlier in the week, saw gorgeous red car in the wrong lane that had hit a Telmex truck.

I drove by when the Jag was up on it's hind wheels and wondered what the heck happened! Saw the pics of the red convertible that hit the Telmex truxk. I wonder where the transito's were. They usually park there looking for newbies to shake down for making illegal turns.

Almost every newb does the same thing. Even forewarned is not necessarily forearmed, because the first time you get a shakedown, probably in your entire life, you're not entirely clear how to handle it.

There have been many dead and accidents on that intersection.

Unfortunately, Transito does nothing to prevent accidents.

I have witnessed many cars pass the red light on the right lane at full speed .

The problem is that turns are deemed illegal based on the newness of the driver and car, i.e if the transito doesn't recognize you he will pounce. As long as you know your rights, that they cannot tow your car OR make you follow them to the police station. Always insist on the ticket, refuse to pay mordida and have water and a book to read while you play Mexican standoff. If you insist on the ticket they usually won't bother you again.

When I was new here and after I bought a new vehicle I was pulled over for no reason several times. I suspect it was driving while being blonde female and gringa. They finally stopped after I had a few tickets. I do offer them a bottle of water if it is hot. I can outwait even the slowest ticket writer.

afetr reading how much our Chapala cops get paid I wonder how much the transitos do. at 50pesos a day for police work I think I'll be paying more mordida. poor buggers.

They get paid at least 5X that amount per day.

http://www.secretariadoejecutivo.gob.mx/work/models/SecretariadoEjecutivo/Resource/347/1/images/Salarios_de_Policias_2010_y_2011_210911.pdf

got my figurs from Guadalajara Reporter Saturday. sorry no idea what you page says. paper says 400 bucks a months.

That is still $300 pesos per day not $50. $6,000 pesos per month. $400 US X 15 = $6,000 per month for 20 days work = $300 pesos per day.

The message I got from the OP was that the intersection in front of Walmart is a very dangerous one, and to be careful when driving through there. There have been a couple of nasty accidents there very lately. As usual, it's devolved into a discussion about transitos and whether and how corrupt they are, how much they get paid/don't get paid, etc. Be careful in front of Walmart. It's one of the most dangerous intersections Lakeside, I think.

afetr reading how much our Chapala cops get paid I wonder how much the transitos do. at 50pesos a day for police work I think I'll be paying more mordida. poor buggers.

I wouldn't worry about the transitos,they do very well,especially in Chapala,it's a very coveted assignment,for all the obvious reasons.

Archived