Chapala.com Webboard

Ceiling fan repair

Is the speed control a pull chain type, or a wireless remote? Either way, a decent electrician should be able to get the right part and change it for you. Send a PM if you'd like a reco.

Heck, I'd like a good reco too: been through so many "electricians" it feels like I have a turnstile on me. The last one was pretty good, but gringo-priced me to death. NObody's worth 700 pesos/hour, no matter what the experience, for this kind of electrical work.

I'd LOVE to know a good fan guy. Had a great one in PV but it's a bit far for a house call...there we had the fans (10) serviced every year. They got a lot more use than here and it was worth the 1,000 pesos for all 10.

Most problems with fans (hum or loss of a speed level) can be fixed by changing the capacitor and capacitor's only cost about 50 pesos each...and I sure wouldn't be paying anyone 700 pesos an hour when I can buy a brand new fan for around 1200 pesos.

Anyone?

I checked for you all - he prefers not to have his info posted, just too busy, here is what he can mention, to be of help:

For a corded type speed control fan (pull chain), it is better just to replace it, generally not worth the time to repair.

For a remote control (wireless) type fan, the problem is generally the receiver unit inside the ceiling fixture. There are replacement receivers (they come with a new matching hand remote included) available in most ferreterias for about 600 pesos, only about 10 minutes to change it using a decent electrician. Make sure they match up with wires correctly before disconnecting the original one......

Archived