Chapala.com Webboard

Fresh Alaskan salmon?

Kyle

He advertises "Fresh Wild"; doesn't specifically say Alaskan in his advertising. I haven't been in to get it, because I actually have overdosed on salmon lately, so I haven't asked about the source or type. You can see in the link below three distinct types (I'm going to assume he gets Pacific and not Atlantic).

However, he did say something about iced gel packs and styro containers that keep the fish very cold without freezing, for the long trip. Online prices for this kind of delivery are minimum $20/lb., plus $30 bucks for shipping. This example is only in the U.S.... no idea where he gets his, but I'm certainly hoping he's right.

http://www.wildpacificsalmon.com/site/680079/product/King#Order%20Now!

The link is for King salmon. Costalegre is not selling King salmon, the largest variety from Alaska with fish that can approach 100 lbs in weight. He has what are called hatchery run Silver or Coho. Kings command a high price, Silver much less so. His fish are the real deal. BTW, easy to get fresh fish from Alaska or Canada to here in under 24 hours. Check them out, if you know anything about wild salmon you'll recognise the difference between these and the junk Altantic "farm-raised" from Chile.

The link is for King, as well as Alaskan Sockeye, and Coho.

And I was using it strictly as an example of a site that ships using gel packs in styrofoam containers, which is how he said he gets his, in response to the OP... including "what kind", as my post acknowledges that the ads don't specifically state "Alaskan".

So you've asked him, then?

I have no experience with what you are referring to as junk Atlantic "farm-raised" from Chile. Why would that be so, in comparison to any other farm-raised?

Here is one of the simplest explanations of the types of salmon from Alaska. Every time you see the words "Copper River", just substitute" Alaskan", and you will get the idea.

"The Copper River is actually home to several different species of salmon. What most people call “Copper River Salmon” is the sockeye, or “red salmon,” with its brilliant crimson flesh. Even more prized is the king or Chinook salmon with its larger size and rich oily meat. Lesser-known but also popular with chefs are the coho or silver salmon, which run later in the summer and into fall, with sometimes lighter flesh than the sockeye but a more delicate flavor. There are also keta, sometimes called “chum” or “dog” salmon, and pink or “humpback salmon” which are generally sold canned at your local grocery store or in value-added products such as salmon patties."

Given the fact that the Alaskan salmon season just started a week or 2 ago, the fish shop can only be selling hatchery run salmon, which are usually Coho. Nothing wrong with Coho, they are quite tasty and much less expensive. Even living in Seattle for 22 years, I very seldom would pay the price for King (Chinook) salmon.

Regardless, I will be at the fish shop next Wed. for some Coho :)

The link is for King, as well as Alaskan Sockeye, and Coho.

And I was using it strictly as an example of a site that ships using gel packs in styrofoam containers, which is how he said he gets his, in response to the OP... including "what kind", as my post acknowledges that the ads don't specifically state "Alaskan".

So you've asked him, then?

I have no experience with what you are referring to as junk Atlantic "farm-raised" from Chile. Why would that be so, in comparison to any other farm-raised?

The Atlantic salmon variety is inferior to those from the North Pacific, IMHO. I've yet to have any farm-raised salmon that compared to wild. You may wonder why Chile, which is on the Pacific, raises Atlantic salmon, it's because they got the technology from Norway and still get their eggs and milt there!

Here is one of the simplest explanations of the types of salmon from Alaska. Every time you see the words "Copper River", just substitute" Alaskan", and you will get the idea.

"The Copper River is actually home to several different species of salmon. What most people call “Copper River Salmon” is the sockeye, or “red salmon,” with its brilliant crimson flesh. Even more prized is the king or Chinook salmon with its larger size and rich oily meat. Lesser-known but also popular with chefs are the coho or silver salmon, which run later in the summer and into fall, with sometimes lighter flesh than the sockeye but a more delicate flavor. There are also keta, sometimes called “chum” or “dog” salmon, and pink or “humpback salmon” which are generally sold canned at your local grocery store or in value-added products such as salmon patties."

Given the fact that the Alaskan salmon season just started a week or 2 ago, the fish shop can only be selling hatchery run salmon, which are usually Coho. Nothing wrong with Coho, they are quite tasty and much less expensive. Even living in Seattle for 22 years, I very seldom would pay the price for King (Chinook) salmon.

Regardless, I will be at the fish shop next Wed. for some Coho :)

As I posted earlier, they are hatchery run Coho. They're also delicious and head an shoulders above anything else I've found here or in Guadalajara.

Hatchery fish are the result of artificial insemination using the eggs and milt of wild fish. When they are of sufficient age they are released to go to the Pacific and live or die as wild fish. Their adipose fin is clipped so that when caught they are easily recognizable.

I have been told too that hatchery salmon are fed food with dye in it to give the fish the "correct" color. Nothing but NW Pacific salmon for me.

That's true for farm-raised fish, but not hatchery fish who go to sea for 7 years and their natural diet gives them the color. Go ahead and eat. Alaska is in the PNW! Last year we were getting some fish from B.C., also hatchery run from the PNW.

Archived