Chapala.com Webboard

Do we need a car to explore the area?

Hello! My husband and I are visiting the Lake Chapala area in June. We are renting a house in Ajijic for 5 nights. We would like to explore the villages. Can we do this by bus?

Also, where do the Expats hang out? Will be eating most meals out.

Without a car you will only see the core of some of the towns. You will miss many of the interesting things Definitely need a car.

The expats hang out in many different places.

Rent a car at the airport via Expedia or other. First morning have breakfast at the Jardin on the plaza in Ajijic. 8:30 is a good time. Go for a walk on the malecon. La Bodega will be the only venue for music when you are here. Ajijic Tango, El Serape for dinner. Lake Taco for lunch. Salvatore's for breakfast too.

Oh, I don't know. If you're adventurous the bus will get you to each village and you can walk from there. Car would be easier of course, but bus is pretty easy. I'd definitely head to the plaza in Ajijic, and likely the plaza in Jocotopec. In Chapala, the plaza and/or the malecon. San Juan Cosala folks, where would you advise? In Riberas, any restaurant, or believe it or not the Lakeside Friends of the Animals store right beside the Ladron vet clinic. There are tons and tons of restaurants, some more expat oriented than others. Don't be shy. If you see expats, stop and talk to them. I think most people are happy to talk with you. I know I would be. Stop by LCS and wander the grounds. Talk to people. The first time I had use of a car was when we moved here, otherwise it was buses and cabs during visits. Be aware cabs stop running pretty early in the evening.

You do not need a car!

Ajijic village is very walkable. Chapala to the east and Jocotepec to the west are also very walkable and easily reached by bus. The buses run here very frequently during the day and are well marked. There are many restaurants in the area that many gringos frequent especially in Ajijic. Since you are only going to be here for five nights there will be plenty to do and see without the use of the car. If you like the area and want to return and explore the surrounding area then you might want a car but you can determine your needs and wants while you are here visiting in June. Enjoy your stay!

A couple of years ago I was doing a two month house -sit and did without a vehicle for the entire time. Lots of walking around and taking the bus to Chapala from where I was staying in La Floresta right on the carretera. If out into the evening time there are lots of reliable cab service folks. On a recent trip down there last month I rented an inexpensive "older"car from Mark Turford for the month in order to get to places where and whenever I wanted... and it was easy, convenient, and affordable. So, it's your call as to what you feel most comfortable with during your stay, if you want to go far, then get the car. Enjoy.

Carretera is spanish for 'highway'. In this case it is the main drag between the villages that have been discussed.

My take on the car.... after you get here, see if you need one; they can be rented easily at Lakeside. If you have any trouble walking for distances (age or otherwise), the cobblestone streets might present a problem so bring very comfortable walking shoes. 5 days is not a lot of time and a car will help you make the best of yours.

If you want to limit your visit to Ajijic village, you don't need a car. It's hard to drive in those narrow streets. You will also be done in one day, unless what you have in mind is to visit restaurants. Then, you might want to visit the area, so a car is always faster and easier than a bus.

In San Juan Cosala, going west, towards Jocotepec, you can visit the Thermal water pools. It's right below Racquet Club, That could be a relaxing day. The bus will stop at the door about 15 minutes by car or 20 by bus. You also have many restaurants close by at the water front.

Going around is not complicated at all: you've got the highway going east-west. Chapala/Ajijic/Jocotepec.

Have a nice trip.

We will soon make our sixth visit. We have never rented a car. We take the bus or a taxi. If you are not limited in walking and wear shoes good for walking, it is very enjoyable to walk. I have been to most of the other areas by bus. Also, everyone is so friendly, another expat may give you a tour. If you are staying at a B&B in town, the proprietors are very helpful and will fill you with info and give you the number of a person who rents cars if you decide you need one. Do visit the Lake Chapala Society....so many local expats there willing to offer tips. Enjoy!

I suggest a car otherwise you'll spend your limited time waiting for busses. You will also be more limited as to what you can see. If you are coming here to explore the possibility of moving here then you want to drive around neighborhoods. You will have much more freedom while you are here with a car. Also if you rent at the airport you will save the cost of taxi both ways and that alone will almost pay for two days of car rental. Will you have secure parking where you are renting?

We first visited here for one week and did not feel the need for a car. We next came back for 3 months to determine if we wanted to move here again with no car. We now live here very happily and do have a car. Driving down here can be challenging. If you choose to rent one, it is ESSENTIAL that you have insurance. If an accident occurs, you would be SOL without it. There are dozens of good restaurants here. One I highly recommend if Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosala. The food is delicious and varied and the owner is a saint. You can get there on the bus with a on block walk from the caraterra. The taxi's are really cheap here and can take you anywhere you want to go. If you find a driver you like, you can get his number and use him whenever you need him. Most of all, have fun. Bienvenido!

We do have secure parking. We are renting a house on Linda Vista. Is this a safe area? Is it close to center of the village? Yes, thinking of moving. I love Mexico. My father was from Guadalajara, but I don't speak Spanish. I still have family there, but haven't seen them for years. We are staying in Guadalajara for 3 days also, so who knows??

Thanks everyone for your input!

We are renting a house on Linda Vista.

Linda Vista is on the west side of the village proper... right past one of Ajijic's barrios in Seis Esquinas (Six Corners). It is just off of a east-running one-way street called 'Ocampo', which is the 'local' bus route back into the village (and farther if you wish). Walking from Linda Vista to the plaza is doable but a fairly long treck... mostly with sidewalks but sometimes not.

The malecon in Chapala is a very nice place in the evening and I personally prefer it to the Chapala Plaza or even the Ajijic malecon--and I lived in Ajijic for a year. There are gringos from Europe, Canada and the USA hanging out just down to the west around the place called The Beer Garden across from the large church. You will hear them speaking English and they will be glad to meet you. Chez Manu Café on Degollado near Cristiania Park is a great place to get a sandwich or one of their specialty coffees or fruit drinks in a quiet garden atmosphere any time of the day or evening. Cristiania Park is a lovely place to wander through on a morning or afternoon (lots of gringos playing volley ball and tennis on the court at the far left hand corner as you look at the park entrance). You pay 5 pesos a person to get in but it runs right along the lake and has a nice walking area. The beautiful old train station (now a "museum" of sorts) isn't too far from there. There are restaurants along Chapala's main streets and, if you care to climb stairs, Il Giardino can give you a wonderful view of the neighborhood after sunset when all the lights are on. A personal note about The Beer Garden; I find it too pricey but it often hosts live music of various types. I live in Chapala and I have eaten at almost every establishment that it has. All the places I mentioned are friendly and have Mexican staff who speak two or three languages. The bus from Ajijic to Chapala is 8 pesos (the local that stops in Ajijic, San Antonio and Chapala to the East as well as San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec in the West). They run every 15 minutes. The bigger Chapala busses are caught on the careterra and they cost 9 pesos and follow the direct route from Jacotopec to Chapala but do not go through the picturesque villages. You can get a Chapala Plus bus from the Chapala bus station to Guadalajara's old bus station for 50 pesos each way. The bus is comfortable and air conditioned. Taxis are parked outside the station and can take you to "the Cathedral"--they all know that--or the zoo. The cost of a cab is really low but you must make sure that they have a working meter. I took a cab ride not too long ago without asking and paid 100 pesos for a 26 peso fare! I called the guy a thief in Spanish (believe me when I say he WAS a thief and not a regular cab driver--he was using an old cab that he bought and it was in terrible shape and I should have known better!!!) and made such a stink that he got out of their fast.

Wonderful information from all! Buses run every 15 minutes, so what time in the

morning do they start and what time do they stop? Are you able to find Taxies at night?

I was afraid we were going to end up on the West Side. I saw where the pepper

Sprayer had returned to that area...

If the rainy season has begun when you visit you will get soaked by cars going through puddles as you walk and also as you wait for the bus. I'd say a car for sure in the rainy season.

Agree the Chapala Malecon is pretty neat and best visited during the week. The bus service between Ajijic and Chapala is really frequent. Do NOT get on a Directo as that goes to GDL via the libremiento.

The buses run until around 10PM I believe. I'd plan on 9 just to make sure. Your best bet is to visit the places west of Ajijic earlier in the day to be sure of the buses. Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosala is a good choice for lunch after visiting a spa.

Pretty much everything lakeside is an easy walk from the Carretera as you will see on a map of the area. Jocotepec is a bit more spread out, it would be a long hike from the plaza there to the Malecon.

If you had a car, that would allow for a day trip to either Mazamitla or Tapalpa, two nearby and really neat mountain towns.

On a five day trip here, you'll find plenty to enjoy just between Jocotepec and Chapala.

Would recommend a rental, but not at the airport. We use Mark Turford, who rents "good used" cars by the day or week. Insurance is included in his price which is not costly. We've rented a small Toyota a number of times and been very pleased. PM me if ou want more info, like a phone number. Have a great time.

Gary San Juan Cosala

The only thing about renting a car locally for someone who is flying in (presumably) is that they will still have to pay for a taxi from/to the airport which is about 400-450 pesos each way.

We rented a car the first time we came and glad we did but we didn't know then that you can hire a taxi hourly which is interesting. Last time I did that it was 180 pesos/hr, about a year ago. You might even be able to get a cheaper rate for several hours being it's the low season now. It's also nice to have a tour guide (taxi) who could show you around. There are some here that are excellent and who speak English. If you go that route, arrange everything ahead of time.

If you decide against renting a car at the airport, when you arrive, just hire a taxi there since if you are late and likely won't be able to communicate with the driver your late arrival, the taxi driver will likely leave. There is a booth at the airport to pay for taxi and they will give you a ticket. Any taxi will be able to drive you to Lakeside. The booth is right at the exit door past Customs.

Driving here can be tricky because of narrow streets, different rules compared to NOB and drivers who don't obey traffic laws. We survived though lol

It's really a toss-up and it depends on your comfort level of driving in an area you've never been to and we have a lot of one-way streets that aren't all signed properly, etc.

As for buses, they do run frequently. The only thing is they don't necessarily bring you all the way where you need to go and they are frequently crowded.

Archived