Chapala.com Webboard

Office/Home Printer

I have a Brother Lazer printer , really like it===== I bought it a Best Buy NOB. Maybe check Guad Best Buy. I need to locate toner. My printer came with the capability to print 1500 copies, so that lasted me most of one year. NO color , but fast and so far trouble free.

I had a 4 in 1 Kodac printer but was constantly having problems with the ink supply.

Also check WalMart and Soriana. They don't carry a regular "brand"; it's whatever they get. Last few I bought were Samsung at Soriana. Very reliable. Lately I've seen some odd name at Soriana, but several customers have them and they work just fine.

I have a Brother HL-3170CDW. I bought it on Amazon and was very happy with it for about a year. At about twelve hundred pages it started acting up: printing pages with blotchy, blank portions, long streaming black lines through my colored images, paper jams etc.. I contacted Brother and they are replacing it with a refurbished model due to a "manufacturing defect" which was causing my problems. However they flat out refused to ship to Mexico and finally have sent my replacement printer to the address of a friend of a friend in Michigan. They want me to return the "lemon" printer within six days or they will charge me the value of the printer which in my estimation is ZERO since it does not, and will not work. As I live here full time and have no plans of returning NOB in the immediate future, I still have not worked out the details of returning the "lemon" printer.

All in all, I bought the Brother after some lengthy investigation into the various laser printers in my price range. It got great reviews initially and then those reviews started deteriorate via people reporting problems after less then 1500 pages printed .

I am an artist and very dependent on being able to print a detailed image so that I can work. This has been a very frustrating experience. Things happen, things go wrong but trying to deal with a company whose customer service representatives are absolutely unable to think out of the box, or even try to come up with a solution for a special circumstances case (shipping to Mexico) has me feeling pretty disappointed in Brother.

So I now have a replacement printer in Michigan which will not be brought to me until January when my snowbird sister returns to Mexico and I am going to have to buy something inexpensive to make due until then AND I still have the problem of getting my defunct printer returned to Brother.

I have a Brother HL-3170CDW. I bought it on Amazon and was very happy with it for about a year. At about twelve hundred pages it started acting up: printing pages with blotchy, blank portions, long streaming black lines through my colored images, paper jams etc.. I contacted Brother and they are replacing it with a refurbished model due to a "manufacturing defect" which was causing my problems. However they flat out refused to ship to Mexico and finally have sent my replacement printer to the address of a friend of a friend in Michigan. They want me to return the "lemon" printer within six days or they will charge me the value of the printer which in my estimation is ZERO since it does not, and will not work. As I live here full time and have no plans of returning NOB in the immediate future, I still have not worked out the details of returning the "lemon" printer.

All in all, I bought the Brother after some lengthy investigation into the various laser printers in my price range. It got great reviews initially and then those reviews started deteriorate via people reporting problems after less then 1500 pages printed .

I am an artist and very dependent on being able to print a detailed image so that I can work. This has been a very frustrating experience. Things happen, things go wrong but trying to deal with a company whose customer service representatives are absolutely unable to think out of the box, or even try to come up with a solution for a special circumstances case (shipping to Mexico) has me feeling pretty disappointed in Brother.

So I now have a replacement printer in Michigan which will not be brought to me until January when my snowbird sister returns to Mexico and I am going to have to buy something inexpensive to make due until then AND I still have the problem of getting my defunct printer returned to Brother.

This is an argument for buying locally--at Office Max, Office Depot, or Best Buy in Guadalajara. Your warranty, supplies, and service will be where you live.

Where is ink located in Soriana? I walked all around the electronic area on the right hand side of the store as you enter and didn't see any ink.

The last time I looked, a few weeks ago, the small selection of inks was on the other side of the counter that has the computer accessories. That's to the left of the cell phone booth, and in a little. It's also the shelf where the printers are displayed.

Ajijic Charlie: I suppose you're right; I had a Kitchen Aide mixer that calved at six months of age and Kitchen Age was as unwieldy as Brother. My mixer had no idea that it had crossed not one but two boarders (I am Canadian) but it quit just about as soon as I got home and after weeks of trying to sort that one out I finally took it to a local repair shop and they put in a new mother board to the tune of about a hundred dollars CDN. It made my expensive mixer all the more expensive but it has worked fine ever since.

It has all made me recognize that, at least in large companies, "Customer's Service" is an oxymoron. I expect that that is the same no matter where you spend your dollars/pesos.

Wal*Mart has (as CG says) nice compact & inexpensive Samsung laser printers; with wireless capability in the model M2022W for about 1100 or 1200 pesos.

Works great.

Archived