Chapala.com Webboard

Dinner first night in Ajijic

annied

Another vote for La Nueva Posada. Love the big stairway, garden setting, the Lake at your the foot of the garden, pretty interior if you want to eat inside, handy parking, good service, usually quiet, and they are used to newbies, and the menu includes items recognizable to gringos altho many of the dishes are Mexican.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are no great places in Ajijic. You have to go farther west for great ones. If you are stuck in Ajijic La Nueva Posada is your best bet. Once at Armandos and Hacienda Del Lago was enough for me

Chac Lan and La Vita Bella. For setting and ambience heads above any others. Like places you would find on the ocean shore.

We ended up at Jardin de Nanette and had a wonderful evening! Oscar the chef is a great guy, the food was delicious and we thoughouly enjoyed the music. The music of Veracruz to flaminco dancing (Oscars beautiful wife.) who knew! A complete evening. Thank you to those that recommended it. A perfect first day. Bruch tomorrow at Remy and then low key for a couple of nights.

Nice, but the OP is in Ajijic w/o a car!

I hear that Chac Lan is very inconsistent, but has a great view.

So, if in Ajijic without a car: Cocinart on 16 de Septiembre #4 D. 10 a.m.-6 pm. (Look for the "Kiss my Glass" sign next door). Excellent breakfasts and lunches or early dinner. "Shabby Chic" decor, friendly staff, very reasonable prices. This one is a keeper. We had eggs benedict yesterday. IMO, best in town. $70 pesos incl. coffee or tea.

We ended up at Jardin de Nanette and had a wonderful evening! Oscar the chef is a great guy, the food was delicious and we thoughouly enjoyed the music. The music of Veracruz to flaminco dancing (Oscars beautiful wife.) who knew! A complete evening. Thank you to those that recommended it. A perfect first day. Bruch tomorrow at Remy and then low key for a couple of nights.

You you have not met the beauty in the family until you haved met their daughter who will be 1 this July 4!

Monte Cristo, Ninette, 4, or for superb St. Remy, only a short walk for you.

I can't abide Armondo or Hacienda del Lago (which has never been able to keep a chef for more than 3 months!)

While that might make great gossip, we've had three chef's in three years, and considering how we usually only open during the higher season we contract our chef's per season. Please get your facts straight when you are talking about someones business, there is way too much gossip.

I'm told ten percent is what the Mexicans tip but around here the expats have trained the waiters to expect at least 15.

It depends on the cost of the meal too. Breakfast at Salvador's is dirt cheap so percentage wise I tip 20 percent. For two, it still comes to less than a buck per head.

Remember, these guys basically make their livings off of tips, I doubt many of these restaurants pay the waiters more than a pittance, if that.

insanity. 10 for good service 15 for beter than good

Insanity? Did you not read my post. I said some will say less. Servers in Mexico are almost totally dependent on tips for their livelyhood. Never hurts to be generous to folks willing to work for a living.

20% if the service is good, if exceptional, maybe a bit more. Some may say less. A don't think any waiter here would very unhappy with 15%.

Most restaurant bills include the IVA (sales tax) of 16%, so if you tip 20%, you are actually tipping 25% of the actual food bill that the restaurant charges and receives and also tipping for the government's share.

If tipping was less, like it is in Europe, maybe the restaurants would have to pay a living wage to employees and their pay would not be left up to the whims of the customer. Employees in many businesses that serve the public and have to put with all kinds of demands, don't get any tips. As far as the wait staff depending on tips, there wouldn't be any wait staff any more than there would be gardeners if the pay was only 25 pesos per hour.

This is an anachronism compared to most people serving the public with retail sales of goods and/or services with good work.

Even with "tipping", service can be deplorable, so it doesn't always work anyway.

Imo, if it's a short order joint, 10% is okay.

If it's good service in a full service restaurant, 15%.

If the service is really, really bad and/or the waiter snarky, much less......to make your point.

20% is for the big cities when you're on an expense account. :unsure:

Agreed, Slainte. And somehow I don't see me changing the culture or the norm by over-tipping. It is what it is. Expat spending over the years has created expectations that are out of line with most of the pueblos in Mexico, yet we can't ignore what has become reality here. It's difficult enough in this town to know what to pay part-timers like cleaners and gardeners, and guys who wash your car.

LOL....true, or showing off when picking up the tab, dining with a bunch of high rollers.

Slainte, it's probably best if you stick with a 10% tip as you are not very good with numbers. Gringal, I actually tipped less when I was entertaining on an expense account because I was spending shareholders money, not my own. From your snarky remark I imagine it is beyond your expierence that some people, maybe even most, behave this way. Slainte, I know a good number of very affluent people but I don't know any "high rollers". I frequently dine alone with my wife and if we have spent a couple of hours over drinks and dinner and the food and service has been good we seldom tip as little as 20%. It's a personal choice after all.

To both of you; your misguided and uncharitable comments are not appreciated.

Slainte, it's probably best if you stick with a 10% tip as you are not very good with numbers. Gringal, I actually tipped less when I was entertaining on an expense account because I was spending shareholders money, not my own. From your snarky remark I imagine it is beyond your expierence that some people, maybe even most, behave this way. Slainte, I know a good number of very affluent people but I don't know any "high rollers". I frequently dine alone with my wife and if we have spent a couple of hours over drinks and dinner and the food and service has been good we seldom tip as little as 20%. It's a personal choice after all.

To both of you; your misguided and uncharitable comments are not appreciated.

I certainly did not intend to be either snarky or uncharitable. I don't believe we are at all misguided, however, but are basing our opinions on "most people". The fact is, your decision to tip so much is not the normal custom in this area, but you are free to do whatever you think is right......for you. Most people on expense accounts are not as scrupulous as you seem to be. Been there; seen that.

I would very much like to see waiters be well paid, but that is not the issue here. The issue is about normal tipping. Your policy is your own, but is not the norm. Peace.

You are entitled to your opinion and so are we. No one said that you cannot tip, whatever you want, but only the reasons that others don't tip as much.

"misguided and uncharitable comments" is a bit strong for just stating an opinion that is different than yours.

“When in Rome.....“, the norm in Mexico seems to be 10% and such tips are appreciated. However, if you feel the service and the meal were way above the norm, you might wish to give more. If you want to sign over your home and car in appreciation, go for it. Just, please, don‘t brag about it. Going out to eat at all is a rare treat for many folks and trying to shame them into giving bigger tips is nothing more than obcene braggadocio. So, as Mr. Bunker used to tell Edith, “Stifle yourself“. Please.

Archived