Chapala.com Webboard

Donkey, possibly abandoned, without help

There is a very friendly donkey which appears to be abandoned.

That donkey is wandering mountainside, East Ajijic, top of Revolucion & Lazaro Cardenas

Very sweet animal that appears it may possibly have been abandoned,

as it's working days are past? At least that is what a friend said.

We've been trying to keep tabs on it, and feed it a few carrots and apples, but the situation looks gloomy.

Is there anyone who can help? So very sad. Someone tried to help by tying it to a fence,

however it cannot graze if tied like that, so it will not be untied.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=344s0f8&s=8#.VVPk3Cjw420

344s0f8.jpg

Update: My friend and I returned to feed and untie the donkey.

Turns out someone had rescued and taken the donkey to his home.

We are not sure who this was, but good to know she won't be wandering all night.

If anyone hears what happened to her, please post here.

She did look pregnant... I thought it was just me thinking that. I am surprised if so, why didn't they wait for the birth. For it seems as if she were merely a work donkey... poor sweet soul. She was so very sweet she came up to my car and tried to put her head in with three dogs in the back.

I'd love to know who decided to take her in.

The scars still make me curious. They're not from a pack saddle and all seem to be toward the back.... like maybe hit by a car or attacked by dogs? She's got good weight all over not just in her belly, so she hasn't been starved. Love to know this lady's story.

Well it appears that she was seen in the mountains, living there... a while back...

As reported by a hiker friend.

Now if she reappears in that same location, my friend will report back. In that case I will update you.

The second time she took a carrot from me, we were face to face. I went to shoe away flies from my face,

and my hand waving slightly near her face, got a rather immediate reaction.... stepped backwards and fast.

Cookie, I'd like to know her story too.

It's difficult to tell from the photo but for sure she has a very bad case of fungus or parasites on her tail , legs and withers...probably a condition called rain rot which is fairly easy to treat. The white hair on her rump is actually scar tissue that is a result of rubbing...either from a rough rope or cheap harness that goes over her back and under her tail or from loads she has carried. The triangular scars look like cuts that have healed. Nothing looks like deliberate abuse to me. She is not that well fleshed out, but can't tell how bony she is because of the remains of her winter coat hiding her backbone and ribs. She belongs to somebody for sure. Tying her up, not good at all for her safety and needs. Poor old girl.

Archived