Chapala.com Webboard

Can I sell my vehicle to a Canadian who is returning to Canada?

About three years ago, we were told to park our 2009 NAFTA van until it became "eligible" to be nationalized. Several "experts" gave us this advice because then, as now, the vehicle was well maintained, and was/is in excellent condition with very low mileage (currently 35,000 Ks). So we waited and here we sit no closer to legalizing our vehicle. People return NOB all the time and I am wondering if I can legally sell to a returning Canadian, or trade for a "legal" Mexican vehicle of similar size and condition?

Yes, you can sell it to a returning Canadian and have them drive it out of Mexico for you. If you trust the buyer, put together a permission letter (POA - Spencer can do this for you) which grants the buyer permission to drive the vehicle back to Canada for you. The buyer would then have the TIP cancelled upon exiting at one of the US/Mexico border crossings. You will get the TIP fee returned as a credit against the credit card you used within 3-5 days.

The process to complete the transfer of ownership will vary depending on what province the vehicle is currently registered in and the province that the buyer is going to register it in.

For example, if it is currently registered in Ontario and the buyer is from Ontario, you do not need to go to Canada at all. All you need to do is give the buyer the original of the ownership and complete the section on it called "Application for Vehicle Transfer" including your signature. You should also provide the buyer with a copy of the "Used Vehicle Information Package" which you can order online for $20 CDN . This document has a section in it where you can provide a receipt to the buyer. Upon arrival in Ontario, the buyer needs to have a safety certification done, an emissions test completed and passed at a Drive Clean clinic. The buyer then goes to a Service Ontario office, presents the paperwork, proof of insurance, pays the transfer fee and sales tax and it is all done,

Good info from Ezzie, only note to add is that if it has been in MX for 3 years on a TIP, likely the refund won't apply (expired), or it was imported before the current fees took effect.

A Carta Responsiva form from a local paper / office supply store can work. That is a form Mexicans use in selling a vehicle. I have a copy I can email and a translation if you wish. If in doubt call Aduana as it is their lawyers who guided me as to the process 01-55-5802-0000 and 01-55-5802-2069.

saludos

Sonia

A Carta Responsiva form from a local paper / office supply store can work. That is a form Mexicans use in selling a vehicle. I have a copy I can email and a translation if you wish.

saludos

Sonia

Are you saying that it's legal to sell a vehicle that was temporally imported and that a Carta responsiva purchased in a papeleria protects the seller from any future responsibility regarding the vehicle?

If the vehicle has a clear title but no current Canadian registration it will surely be stopped in US.

A few years ago, we drove our Ontario plated car back to Canada without a current Ontario registration and were not stopped once in the U.S. In fact, we stopped in Texas and asked a couple of police officers to assist us in getting back on the right highway, with our plates in clear view, and there was no interest in our expired license plates.

But then I was stopped once out in the boonies of eastern Colorado because I only had (legally) one plate on the car (Florida), and it was current! He also asked my why I had Florida plates (I had just purchased the car) and a Colorado driver's license. He was bored I guess and he sent me on my way reminding me to 'get that car plated in Colorado right away'.

But then I was stopped once out in the boonies of eastern Colorado because I only had (legally) one plate on the car (Florida), and it was current! He also asked my why I had Florida plates (I had just purchased the car) and a Colorado driver's license. He was bored I guess and he sent me on my way reminding me to 'get that car plated in Colorado right away'.

When I went to and then lived in Mexicali I got pulled over 16 times in Baja California in 9 years and was told about 8 times it was for no front license plate. Then I got tired of this and went to DMV in San Diego and got new plates. I still got pulled over after that because they knew my car and me.

Archived