Chapala.com Webboard

VPN services for NetFlix, etc.

You'll have to try it and see. I have clients who are using their Roku for NetFlix; these were set up before the Roku upgrade, which allowed NetFlix to block their "app". It's not the Roku itself that gets blocked; just the app. So you can still use Pandora, for example, because that app is not affected.

For Android, tech support says: "The new version of the Netflix app (3.7.2) for Android uses Google DNS hardcoded into the app. As a result it will bypass our service. Please use the old Netflix app instead or if you have a DD-WRT, Tomato or Open WRT router you can forward traffic to our servers."

NO VPN NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!

It’s a very exciting day without our community, bringing the release of the extremely anticipated TVMC for Windows release, along with updates for Mac and more.

In case you somehow haven’t yet heard of it, TVMC is a custom build of Kodi which comes preconfigured out of the box with all the best add-ons, tweaks and customizations; making your addon-centric Kodi streaming experience a more enjoyable one. As soon as it’s installed, it’s ready to use, no configuration work or technical experience necessary.

This is very exciting because it finally means that any one out there can enjoy Kodi without needing to take the time to follow guides or learn anything at all. This is the release you want to send to your mother, your father in law, and your coworkers. Just download it, install it and enjoy all the best that Kodi has to offer!

1) TVMC for Windows Released: http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-windows/

2) TVMC for Mac Updated: http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-mac/

3) TVMC for Android 13.2 Download: http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-android/

Just be careful. That download includes all kinda advertising crap; NLU, if you have experienced this, I'd like to know what junk ended up on your PC and if you were able to get rid of it easily.

That's why I was asking what you experienced, before I posted my thoughts.

Here's what happens during the install process: They are very open about it, but that makes them no more acceptable in my book.

First they tell you to get the TVMC, you will install their ezdownloader, a well-know spyware gateway. "May display ads in websites, including coupons from PriceMinus" (another spyware gateway). "Includes youtube products."

If you click EXIT at this point, it takes you through several windows: two offer more junk that looks cool but isn't. A third asks ARE YOU SURE, and if you click OK it installs it all, plus Adblocker. You have to click Cancel instead, which is counter-intuitive and is actually nasty OPT OUT technology. Here it will open two more windows to replace your search engine with its own. Then it takes you to a blind webpage with a giant PLAY button, whatever that's for... And one time, on my PC, it actually crashed my FireFox browser.

They do offer links to their Privacy information, which will tell you they can collect any information you provide any time you use it, and can use that info for advertising purposes "for ezdownloader, but not limited to ezdownloader" if they want to sell it to other advertisers. Which of course is the whole point.

Just make sure you read every window that pops up. You may find this perfectly acceptable, and if it gets you access to NetFlix and the search, ads, and coupons don't bother you, then no problem.

I can get Netflix fine on my Roku, I just checked it to be sure. I have my DNS service programmed into my Telmex router, instead of messing with the Roku settings, so I think you must be fine if you go that route.

Computer Guy's warning above in reference to Kodi is accurate. I also have XMBC (Kodi) and when it was installed on my laptop it did double my pop ups and I ran my spy wear program and I had several issues that were not there before. It was most likely the Kodi install. I now have Kodi installed on my Amazon Fire TV and it works really well in this format and there are none of the issues that haunt the PC versions.

I will say that I have seen an extreme slow down of Kodi in the last 2 weeks as have 2 other friends of mine, they have it downloaded to a PC and an Apple TV. Hopefully this gets better or I may be using my Roku a bit more again.

Back to the OP's original question, if you are just using it for a PC, I have Easy Hide VPN, I have for years, I am now one of the beta testers for their new builds, and I can tell you they are always working on improving an already really good product..

I can get Netflix fine on my Roku, I just checked it to be sure. I have my DNS service programmed into my Telmex router, instead of messing with the Roku settings, so I think you must be fine if you go that route.

Unfortunately, this is the problem now: changing the router settings in the TelMex modem no longer gets you U.S. NetFlix. It's impossible to change the Roku DNS settings.

But it's also true that I have had success with some Roku boxes in the last year; that's one of the reasons I went with Unlocator in the first place. So again, it must all come down to the firmware version in the Roku itself.

I cannot confirm, but my thought on slowdown of Kodi (which I have also been experiencing) could easily be to overload on servers (which is also now common on their forum) due to more people having downloaded new system.

Re dedicated mini or Amazon or ....

That sounds like s good ides.

But, I have NEVER had any problems on my 2 PC's in the 2 1/2 years i have had XBMC/KODI on them.

And I haven't either. Partly because I have been choosy with what I download, but also because their are lots of purveyors of Kodi that are up and up. Sometimes good software gets bundled with bad stuff.

I apologize for possibly having hijacked this thread.

But since I did start a side issue (Computer Guy & I have done it since the original post in PM mode), I thought it best to give KODI's Forum response to download issue here.

1. Its really simple guys...."YOU ARE CLICKING THE WRONG DOWNLOAD BUTTON"
    Read the Install guide
    It DOES mention what button NOT to click ....

TVMC for Windows
Free Download - Version 14.2
Very Important: On the next Download page, be sure to click the BLUE "Download Now" button and NOT the Orange “Download” button!

Darn, he beat me to it. I was just about to post an apology and a retraction: I discovered last night that I had indeed clicked the wrong button. As I mentioned to NLU in our offline conversations, the instructions explicity state: "Do not click the orange button, click the blue button". Being a fast reader, and assuming I'm smarter than I am, I transposed the statement in my head and clicked the orange button. After realizing this, I went back and clicked the blue button, and installed a perfectly-good, spyware free version of Kodi.

First, my sincere and most public apology to NLU and anyone else who has been following this thread. I will be available for public flogging.

Second, a note generated as part of our side conversations indicates that the orange button installation is causing some Web page script errors. I have lost access to certain secure sites (eg. Siriusxm.com) which other people were having no trouble seeing. I will therefore be doing a system restore to undo the damage my own error has caused.

Many sites that purport of offer "free" software use this ploy, particularly torrent download sites: Buttons that look even more alike than in this case, with DOWNLOAD stamped on them, to trick you into going places you don't want to go. As an advocate against this kind of foul play, I have fallen victim to my own petard.

Archived