Chapala.com Webboard

VPN services for NetFlix, etc.

I've been researching these "IP Blocker" services for months now, trying to find the most reliable. These are simply services you subscribe to for $50 or $60/year, to make it look like your computer is in the U.S. instead of Mexico... thus enabling you to subscribe to streaming services like NetFlix, Hulu and music streaming services like Pandora. The U.S.-based streaming sites are not licensed for broadcast outside the States; when you try to subscribe, you'll either end up at the Mexican version, or be told you cannot view the content from your location.

CBS, NBC, and the networks all offer broadcasts of their TV shows, but like Showtime, you can't watch them outside of the U.S.

Some of these VPN services work very well; some do not. The biggest drawback I've found is that they want to charge you extra for every device you use. So, you set up your PC to stream NetFlix (of course, you must have subscribed to NetFlix), but you can't get it on your tablet, iPad, iPhone, iPod, Smart TV, or any of your other devices, without paying an extra buck or two for each one. And your visitors can't hook up either.

The way around this "multi-device" problem is to change the settings in your TelMex modem, using a VPN service that allows that. The majority do not. Unblock US, for example, will sell you a router that is preconfigured to do this, but charge you a bit more. And then of course you have to get it here. Real tech-heads can figure out a way to set up their routers, but that's for real tech-heads.

So I finally found a service that allows for all devices to be accessible with only one basic charge. It won't work with the Technicolor modem that TelMex provides, but it will work with the Huawei modem they provide. But to make things worse, right now NetFlix is working very hard to prevent this kind of access. So if you have a Roku, for example, you can't use any service right now, unless you were already using it before they changed the settings. (For example, if your Roku auto-updates to the latest operating system, your NetFlix could disappear.)

And those with Telecable modems will pretty much have to stand on their heads to get anything like a VPN service.

Thanks for the research.

I use an Apple Extreme Base Station with an Apple Express extender for the back room for my Local Area Network. Very simple to setup.

I configure the base station with the UnblockUS (< $5.00 a month) custom DNS numbers, and everything that goes thru the Apple router uses those settings. Apparently you can't configure the Telmex Huawei modem to use them.

This gives me the added benefit of a personal network with a real network name, instead of those "gawd-awful" Infinitumxxyzzbx network names.

I have not tried this setup with the 'new and improved' Technicolor modems. In fact, I thought Technicolor went out of business a few years ago. Maybe Carlos Slim bought out their brand name. Still cheap, crappy hardware.

Other way around, headpooch: Can't change the DNS in the Technicolor modems here, but can change them in the Huawei. Also, just as a note, all TelMex modems can be configured to choose your own Network name... one of my customers uses "policiafederal" in hers... .

And once you've configured your base station with the Unblock US DNS, it works? Very good. I have not had the same experience with add-on routers, but I haven't really delved into that aspect, either. With the service I'm using now, no extra equipment is necessary, and it's very simple for the customer to maintain the settings without having to call someone over.

I use a Chromebook and most VPN's are not supporting Chrome but I use Witopia and am very happy with them. They allow installation on up to 5 devices and also support Windows and IOs. HDMI cable to TV and I can watch everything I subscribe to.

Other way around, headpooch: Can't change the DNS in the Technicolor modems here, but can change them in the Huawei. Also, just as a note, all TelMex modems can be configured to choose your own Network name... one of my customers uses "policiafederal" in hers... .

Great news, how do you change it?

And once you've configured your base station with the Unbluck US DNS, it works? Very good. I have not had the same experience with add-on routers, but I haven't really delved into that aspect, either. With the service I'm using now, no extra equipment is necessary, and it's very simple for the customer to maintain the settings without having to call someone over.

Thanks for the positive news.

Whenever I try to access the modem using a browser, it asks me for the user name and password. When I enter the settings located on the modem, it refuses access and says they are incorrect. Tried many times.

Normally the username for an Infinitum modem is TELMEX and the password is the 10 character wifi WEP code. They change modem styles so often one can never be sure.

To access Telecable modems you have to search for the default password based on the type of modem.

Bought a cheap $ 40 USD modem in the states, had son-in-law set it up with Strong VPN (same as I had for single computer @ $ 55/yr) and plugged it in off the Telmex modem. Works fine, whole-house VPN. Been using it a couple years now with no problems. Simple

John is right on with his info. And a search for Scientific Atlanta should bring up a thread from not too long ago that discusses the TeleCable modem logins. TeleCable blocks out user modifications, though.

Bought a cheap $ 40 USD modem in the states, had son-in-law set it up with Strong VPN (same as I had for single computer @ $ 55/yr) and plugged it in off the Telmex modem. Works fine, whole-house VPN. Been using it a couple years now with no problems. Simple

Modem or router?

Normally the username for an Infinitum modem is TELMEX and the password is the 10 character wifi WEP code. They change modem styles so often one can never be sure.

To access Telecable modems you have to search for the default password based on the type of modem.

Thanks, John. That was the key.

I just bought, but haven't received, so of course haven't used, the Shell Fire Box on Indiegogo.

I like this concept. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shellfire-box-vpn-evolution

Auto-deploy with the box, so no pesky settings to deal with. From a company already well-established in the VPN business. And only $10 for international shipping... no one can beat that.

I have Telecable Internet service but plug my own router into the standard Telecable router. I have been using IronSocket (formerly HideMyNet) DNS for several years with few problems. (When I do have a problem, IronSocket's tech staff can always be counted on to go the extra mile in resolving it. Once they even called me back and walked me through a rather complex fix.) I use Roku for some streaming services (HBO. Netflix, Amazon) and wonder whether I will now encounter problems. I've been away from Ajijic since mid-February and will return in June. Is there anything I can do to forestall a possible loss of Roku connectivity? BTW, I was grandfathered into some sale price when I first joined HMN and still pay only $25/year.

Nice. Well, tech support at Unlocator told me that the last two updates to the Roku operating system have locked out the NetFlix app from being able to change the DNS settings. Perhaps you can get into the Roku and turn OFF the auto-update funciton; haven't checked.

I use a Chromebook and most VPN's are not supporting Chrome but I use Witopia and am very happy with them. They allow installation on up to 5 devices and also support Windows and IOs. HDMI cable to TV and I can watch everything I subscribe to.

Just got an email from TunnelBear: they have a new add-on specifically for Chrome.

While I have barely a layman's understanding of how VPN and DNS work, I'm wondering whether the ROKU software "fix" really affects me, in as much as the DNS changes are made in my dedicated router which "broadcasts" over Wi-Fi to my Roku. Separately, will I still be able to get US Netflix on my Ipad via the Netflix app and WiFi connected to my dedicated router?

Archived