Chapala.com Webboard

Would You Live in Chapala Haciendas

It's not really the truth though - it is about perception. Rony is from Belgium, worked a career as a flight attendant. He is not used to, and obviously uncomfortable, in the suburban paradise which makes up much of Canada and the U.S.A. The fact is that many people moved to Chapala after selling their large, suburban homes and were able to build an equivalent home for at one quarter to one third the price, and without the ongoing taxes and climate induced overheads. Rony does not have a car, another inconceivable fact for most of Canada and the U.S.A. Most suburban dwellers have two or three

Again with crime - gossip spreads like wildfire, and I am just not hearing of violence or robberies to homes or workers. Check back for a few years on the Chapala Haciendas Crime watch site - it is just not there. People are quick to report suspicious activity and the office checks it out right away (albeit during the day). Now saying that, having lived (and gossiped) so many years in Puerto Vallarta, and talking to many here, it is a totally different picture among gay men. Especially in the countryside, many bad guys feel that gay men are "fair game" for robbery, fraud, kidnapping and even murder. Although the last murder in Chapala Haciendas was a couple years ago in a love triangle gone wrong.

As far as "pit bulls" - I have seen many more pit bulls off leash in Chapala and Ajijic then I have ever seen in Haciendas (which is again, never). Mtn Mama's husband was the one who got bitten, and she is staying put.

No one side is better than the other. One side floating in their swimming pools, could be Chapala, could be San Diego. Another side living in their magical dusty pueblo, when it is really just a run down service town for local ranches and now extinct fishermen. A municipality of 26 -30,000 is really not going to be able to offer much in the way of picturesque snapshots or genuine cultural experiences. I guess we are all aboard a ship of fools.

I am not disagreeing with Rony's opinion, I don't even know, or care, if he is gay. I am saying that there are many areas of perception which form our judgments, and that in Mexico gay men live in far more dangerous world than you might imagine.

Archived