Chapala.com Webboard

Would You Live in Chapala Haciendas

We are considering a rental in Chapala Haciendas #2 but have heard it may not be as safe as other subdivisions / fraccs. i.e., more robberies.

We have also heard there are lots of scorpions and we are concerned our dog may get bitten. Are the scorpions poison enough to kill a medium sized dog?

Thanks in advance for sharing your insights and experiences.

I can't comment on Chapala Haciendas regarding burglaries so I won't. I don't know why it would be any better or worse than anywhere else around Lakeside.

We live "out in the sticks" east of Chapala and have 5 small to medium sized dogs we keep in a fenced yard behind our house. We sometimes get scorpions inside the house but are able to keep them under control by spraying Home Defence around the windows and doorways about once/mo. Never have had any problem with scorpions and the animals. The dogs somehow know about scorpions and all gather in a circle around one if they encounter it in the house and bark at it to let you know it is there. After awhile, they have taught us humans to recognize this and we quickly come and send the offending insect back to it's maker.

We purchased a home in CH over 5 years ago. We first purchased in Ajiic but after three years found it to be a bit noisy and busy for us. The property we puchased in CH is much bigger and peaceful.

We have quite a few dogs and thankfully so far none have been bitten by scorpions. We have from small to large size dogs. Tiny size dogs are at risk more so than bigger dogs. The smaller light colored scorpions are more dangerous than the darker. If you are concerned keep a bottle of liquid Benedryl on hand. We spray around the house quarterly so the ones that I do see once in a while are dead.

We have not been robbed or vandalized. There have been some thefts here, but no more than anywhere else.

We feel completely safe here and would not live anywhere else.

We currently live in Chapala Haciendas and have fewer scortions in this house than some we have lived in previously. We use Cyn-Off every few months as a preventative.

Chapala Haciendas has a Neighborhood Watch group, security cameras and we watch out for each other. No subdivision is totally safe. I'd say we are as safe as most.

We rejected Chapala Haciendas for the simple reason of having to be completely car-dependent and not having easy access to a normal neighborhood with all of its conveniences. We spent a few years in Ajijic, then a decade in Chapala centro with so many conveniences within a few minutes walk.

If you like a semi-rural/suburban lifestyle then sure, why not? Chapala Haciendas doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I'm a "towny". I don't mind the activity, relative noise and occasional mayhem of living in town. Because all of the conveniences, and being able to walk to anything if I choose to, more than make up for them. So it just depends on your priorities.

We're out in the country (at least we WERE) and scorpions come with the territory. Until he passed on, our Jack Russell was "scorpion dog". He taught the Weimer and when Zack died (old age) Zoe took over. Her technique is to stomp 'em with a big front foot and then bite them in two. The problem with that is, I have to find two scorpion parts. Now the Red Heeler is into the game.

"Mr Useless" is the 70 pound Amstaff who is scared to death of them.

Is this safe to use around pets?

Yes as long as it is completely dry. Don't let pets walk across wet floors.

We moved here from off-grid in the Colorado Rockies, so for us, tranquility is an important factor. Hearing birds rather than boom boxes.

Just an FYI. There is a "rescuer" - read hoarder - who lives somewhere in CH 2. We can't hear the dogs but have friends who can. Check out the property a several times during the day and evening.

We google walked, researched then physically walked a number of neighborhoods from Roca Azul to Vista del Lago. If they had appeal we walked our dogs in that neighborhood at different times of the day. We chose the Haciendas because it's quiet (mostly). We do hear cohetes during festivals, dogs do bark at night (usually when the herd of cows is around or 'there's a party going on'), you do get to know your neighbors and we do watch out for each other. We wouldn't want to live anywhere else. We use Cyn-off once a month and once it's dry you only see dead or dying things. My only caution would be if the house you want to rent has an empty house next door that is maintained check with other residents to see if it's a party house.

The fact that you are asking the question (about wanting to live at the Haciendas) is already answering it...... and it has been asked quite often (which must mean something, no?).

This is not going to help the sale of my chocolate, but ...... if I think of Chapala Haciendas I think of : lose Pittbulls that for the longest time have caused a lot of fear and harm there, I think of criminal activity (over the last 10 years, it is a looong list, but people tend to have a short memory) and easy escape routes (for potential criminals, almost immediately on a good escape route to Guadalajara), the police taking the longest time to get there (you will find posts about that here on the webboard), I think of a lot of bickering among the people who manage the Haciendas...... I have a lot of friends living there and personally, I would not even like to spend the night there.

If your car breaks down,....... public transport is a problem too. If a bus passes by (even the 2nd class one), the driver might not even want to stop.

Granted, lately, it seems that the criminal activity has been less of a problem, but it also appears that our region is entering another episode with a lot of turmoil.

And I do envy the people there for living so close to nature and in a more quiet environment....... but not at any price. Yes, crime happens anywhere, but ... "priorities" is the key word..

To summarize....

Prices are pretty low there (compared to other fraccionamientos) and not without a reason. Check with people, who don't have any personal interest in defending it (or are able to rise above it) and use common sense (referring to the points I mentioned above). This is the personal conclusion from someone, who doesn't have a dog in this fight and has been following up the Haciendas for the last 10 years (through friends living there and the local media). And check with Mexicans. Through my employment project, I have sent a lot of people there and crime is their concern, going there to work (and returning home after 6 pm). And believe me, Mexicans know..... (they might not tell their employer directly)

And to all the people living there, who will be angry with me now....... you can only really improve a situation, if you first admit the shortages and problems. You will be your own worst ennemy by ignoring it..... but, so be it. It is what it is and people will only believe what they want to believe.

Did I answer your question ?

Rony

The fact that you are asking the question (about wanting to live at the Haciendas) is already answering it...... and it has been asked quite often (which must mean something, no?).

This is not going to help the sale of my chocolate, but ...... if I think of Chapala Haciendas I think of : lose Pittbulls that for the longest time have caused a lot of fear and harm there, I think of criminal activity (over the last 10 years, it is a looong list, but people tend to have a short memory) and easy escape routes (for potential criminals, almost immediately on a good escape route to Guadalajara), the police taking the longest time to get there (you will find posts about that here on the webboard), I think of a lot of bickering among the people who manage the Haciendas...... I have a lot of friends living there and personally, I would not even like to spend the night there.

If your car breaks down,....... public transport is a problem too. If a bus passes by (even the 2nd class one), the driver might not even want to stop.

Granted, lately, it seems that the criminal activity has been less of a problem, but it also appears that our region is entering another episode with a lot of turmoil.

And I do envy the people there for living so close to nature and in a more quiet environment....... but not at any price. Yes, crime happens anywhere, but ... "priorities" is the key word..

To summarize....

Prices are pretty low there (compared to other fraccionamientos) and not without a reason. Check with people, who don't have any personal interest in defending it (or are able to rise above it) and use common sense (referring to the points I mentioned above). This is the personal conclusion from someone, who doesn't have a dog in this fight and has been following up the Haciendas for the last 10 years (through friends living there and the local media). And check with Mexicans. Through my employment project, I have sent a lot of people there and crime is their concern, going there to work (and returning home after 6 pm). And believe me, Mexicans know..... (they might not tell their employer directly)

And to all the people living there, who will be angry with me now....... you can only really improve a situation, if you first admit the shortages and problems. You will be your own worst ennemy by ignoring it..... but, so be it. It is what it is and people will only believe what they want to believe.

Did I answer your question ?

Rony

PEPPER SPRAY BANDIT from other posting..I guess any place is vulnerable

Just heard today that our friend's daughter in law who is staying their house in West Ajijic was attacked with pepper spray today about noon. The robber broke into the house and when she heard noises and went to investigate, he sprayed pepper spray in her face. She managed to get out of the house with her purse and laptop before going to the neighbour's house in much pain.

The police were called and came promptly but the intruder was gone. Not sure yet what was taken. This man fits the description of the "pepper-spraying bandit" of last summer and the summer before. He is a fairly big man and agile. He wears a ball cap low over his face and looks and dresses like a gringo. Often he has a backpack. This time he was also wearing a bandana over his lower face. He has been described to the police several times. He likes to take silver, money, jewelry and small electronics. I do not know any other details. Just to warn you to lock up carefully and be vigilant.

Archived