Chapala.com Webboard

Best route Ajijic to Ciudad Juarez?

We are planning on driving to Durango, CO in late June, crossing the border in Ciudad Juarez. Any recommendations on what route to take would be appreciated. For example, from Guadalajara would you recommend the cuota through Aguascalientes or Rt 84 directly to and through Zacatecas? Any recommended places to stay (towns that fall at the end of a day of travel and maybe even specific hotels/motels)? Finally, which crossing (assuming that there are more than one) in Ciudad Juarez or environs? Thanks for your help.

Hola El Toro,

When you say Rt 84 I think you might mean Rt 54. This route has been debated over and over, some for some against. I'm in the against camp (I've taken it and Rt.23 from Guadalajara up towards Zacatecas). Why against? Although it looks like a shortcut, I make better time going the cuota up to Aguacalientes. Also getting from Lakeside to the other side of Guadalajara where 54 starts is a royal pain. THEN, one is greeted by a very very curvy road for a significant part of the way to Zac. BUT, you do save some cuota fees.

I drive the other way 'often'... just last month. I take the 80D cuota north up towards San Juan de los Lagos. Just past that vicinity, take a new 'short' cuota up to cuota 45D... it will be marked as to Aguascaliente. Then follow 45D west to Aguas. "Bypass"** Aguas and head to Zacatecas. Bypass Zacatecas to the north on a cuota following 54 past Fresnillo; then take Rt 49 past Rio Grande an on up to cuota 40D towards Gomez Palacio. Bypass that metro area and take 49/49D to Jimenez.

I make it to Jimenez for the night by leaving Lakeside around 6:30am. I only stop for gas and potty breaks. There are several motels there but I have been staying at a newer one just entering Jimenez.... Hotel Jimenez Plaza. Can't miss it on the right. Good rates, good security, nice big modern rooms, pool and restaurant on the grounds. Also close to a Pemex.

Next morning continue up 45D cuota towards Chihuahua. Continue on 45D until just short of Ciudad Juarez. Seemingly out in the middle of nowhere, veer off 45 right on a sign marked something like Jeronimo/Janos cuota but also saying "Sta. Teresa N.M." This road will head NW and out west of Juarez and you will cross the border at Santa Teresa N.M., a suburb of El Paso. If you miss the Jeronimo exit you can continue until you get a bit closer to Juarez and then you can take Rt. 2 west and meet up with the road you missed. Google Maps shows all this very well.

** If you decide to go through Aguascalientes I'll point you towards a couple of ways to get through that city.

El Toro, I haven't gone that way in 10 years but I wish I had the benefits of Rick S's advice. He's bang on - that route through the west side of Guad is $%&/()ic, inconvenient and suicidal.

• 5 weeks later...

Rick, thank you for the great advice. We will follow it. When you say, BYPASS Aguascalientes, which route do you take to do this? I can count three or more ways to do this on the map. The most straight-forward-looking one is Siglo XXI, but rumor has it that there is a lot of construction going on there. Thanks again for your help.

I wouldn't disagree with the cuota route via Aguascalientes, but the new eastern periferico that begins just north of the airport makes connecting to route 54 on the north side of Guadalajara a breeze. Although that route is quite windy, it's a beautiful ride, and should be considered.

Rick, thank you for the great advice. We will follow it. When you say, BYPASS Aguascalientes, which route do you take to do this? I can count three or more ways to do this on the map. The most straight-forward-looking one is Siglo XXI, but rumor has it that there is a lot of construction going on there. Thanks again for your help.

El Toro,

Yes at the moment Siglo XXI is under construction and probably not the way to go (if it ever was.... just the way I have always gone).

But see the thread "Traveling North thru Zacatecas" below to understand that the best route is 'probably' the 'western' route as described there. I can't wait to try it and confirm (for me) that it is the way to easily get through Aguascaliente.

Safe trip.... Enjoy Durango!

Archived