Chapala.com Webboard

staying illegally

I hope you don't imagine that being illegal in MX is in the same universe as the way illegals are treated NOB - it ain't.

NOB illegals, if caught, are sent to a Homeland Security detention center, wait for their immigration deportation hearing and then if not pardoned, deported.

In Mexico illegals, if caught, are sent to an INM detention center, wait for their immigration deportation hearing, which has to completed in 2 weeks, and if not pardoned, deported.

Both at the expense of the federal government.

I suspect illegals from south of the Mexican border have a very different experience from illegals north of the border.

Amnesty International isn't too impressed with the treatment of the former and with good reason IMHO.

The latter are so small in number compared to their opposite counterparts that they hardly merit any attention at all. And from what I can discern, they don't get much.

Before moving to MX in 2007 I lived in Lakeway, TX to the W of Austin for 22 years. In those times they used to run "sweeps" to arrest illegals and deport them. It was a common joke that the INS was running another sweep so no one was getting their lawns cut or maid service for a couple of weeks which was about what it took for them to get back out of MX and up to our area. There are cities and entire counties today that are "safe harbors" where police are not allowed to ask for legal status and others where if arrested, ICE won't take them into custody, so things are a bit different than in MX - or here in times past.

Archived