Chapala.com Webboard

staying illegally

Probably nothing as long as you don't drive a car. You won't be able to open an account at a Mexican bank, apply for INAPAM, or do anything else that requires you present a valid residency permit during the application process, but if you are willing to live out of ATM's for cash and keep a low profile you're probably home free.

I believe some people get around the residency requirements by coming in on a 6-month tourist visa and then going back to the border and reentering on a new tourist visa every 6 months. That keeps them legal, and lots of people like to go back north that often anyway. But, I am NOT an authority on this!

What if you come and dont hve enough to qualify for residency, if you stay like so many of them do in the usa what are the chances you get caught?> and what could happen?

Worst case scenario,a little jail time and then they deport you to Texas.

What if you come and dont hve enough to qualify for residency, if you stay like so many of them do in the usa what are the chances you get caught?> and what could happen?

I don't mean to stir the pot but posts like this are hard to ignore..... What a rude insensitive thing to say...them??? who them???

In the USA the, "them" are the illegal aliens. Had a friend have this happen to him. His US passport expired and he had no Mexican visa. They came to his house and scooped him up and the next day he was in California. Then his house was robbed with his elderly mother sleeping. His mother died in his absence and they took pity on him. He is legal now.

Guest bennie2

now the word "them" is insensitive? we are all somebodies "them". just have a updated passport, the 6 month visa renewed. its not a big deal. my father had an outdated passport & no visa @ all. no one came looking. then again, i wouldnt fool around these days.

Guest bennie2

call it whatever you may. they dont call it that in mexico. they call it "pay a fine" in his case. which didnt happen as this was not a concern. he still paid property taxes & frac dues, go figure.

I recommend staying legal but, I know a lot of people which have lived here for years illegal. I mean 40 years. Probably you would never get caught if you don't drive. Remember I prefer legal. but.......there are ways. I have been notified my citizenship card has been printed. Any day now!

Well Mexico has no problem with sending millions of non documented people north, turn about is fair play, eh?

It's a lot easier to be legal here than NOB, however. May as well take advantage of that.

In seven years, I've never had my visa checked by anyone. However I have needed it to do a number of things.

What have I seen people do?

Get married.

Get an online job so that with their other income qualifies them for temporary residence.

Live ilegally

Some may qualify for the amnesty program

Guest bennie2

dont drive like my father & other friends of his. not sure if you can have a bank account unless you have some kind of visa. tourist is ok maybe. also rentals, not sure it may depend upon the landlord. you do need a passport for sure. best policy: dont ask dont tell. especially on forums.

In recent years, the need for a CURP, RFC, Passport and Visa seems much more necessary than in the past for so many things, like phone service, travel through some checkpoints, real estate transactions, driving license, car registration, etc, etc. I would not want to try it.

Guest bennie2

most important is passport. in all the years here i was only asked to show visa one or two times. that was for a banking update. a xerox copy was sufficient. on my fathers death certificate it said ID: expired passport. RVgringo is correct, for all of the above you should have a current visa.

Any type of encounter with police will bring you under further investigation, in custody, as a possible lawbreaker on the run. A lot of them already here in Mexico. While they might be interrogating you in the interests of law and order, they are really hoping there is a big fat bounty on your head! On the other hand, I hear fake I.D. is cheap and plentiful in Mexico, but it is a lot to ask a newcomer to jump into that serpent's nest. Same as illegals in the U.S.A. really - the weak are victimized, most often by their own people.

Guest bennie2

not driving, or having a bank acct, paying rent upfront: then it would most likely work. then again there was a felon down here arrested, sent back. i had seen him driving a car. his family paid about one years rent in advance in 2 seperate rentals w/renewable lease. the driving part is somewhat odd. he may have liked living on the edge.

Archived