Chapala.com Webboard

Info on glutten free bread

mistermister

We haven't found any yet, mind you we never found another NOB either. The fresh GF bread at Superlake (with the baked goods at the front) is made by a lady who sells at Tuesday market at La Huerta. We always use it for toast but kind of falls apart during slicing. For the times we eat sandwiches we prefer the bulk buns we get at Walmart or Soriana. That's the only gluten we have so it doesn't cause much/if any discomfort.

You can buy gluten free breads at the Organic Market on tuesday (they had set up on left side/ in the back, as you enter from the front of the Market), and they have a new shop across from Lake Chapala Society on the corner (next to Simply Thai Restaurant). They experiment a lot with various kinds of loaves and biscuits (GF) using different grains, seeds, nuts.

Be warned, the bread on the top shelf on the left as you face West is not Gluten Free. It was labelled Gf for a long time, then was labelled 96% GF. Not sure what the label says now but I had a long discussion with the woman who bakes it. It is not GF and she was very unaware about GF in general, GF baking and cross contamination in particular. And I believe she is the same one who sells at the Tuesday market, not 100% sure. The label also used to say it contained a small % of wheat then the label changed. If you are celiac be very cautious with these products.

There is a couple who sell at the Monday Market under the label Otro Pan who make a good bread and pizza crust. Their products are truly GF and tasty. I have not seen them lately which is a pity, I hope they return soon.

There are a couple of vendors at the Tuesday Market; the young couple who also have Di Minno's Geeen Door Deli across the street form LCS (located on the far left hand back isle as you come in the front door) and an older couple who make tasty cinnamon buns as well as some breads on the far right isle as you come in the front door.

I have found the best to be Otro Pan sold at the Monday market. It is sliced very thinly. I like it best toasted and it makes a good grilled sandwich. They have a Facebook page which is best to check as they don't come every Monday.

El Otro Pan - sin gluten

There are a couple of vendors at the Tuesday Market; the young couple who also have Di Minno's Geeen Door Deli across the street form LCS (located on the far left hand back isle as you come in the front door) and an older couple who make tasty cinnamon buns as well as some breads on the far right isle as you come in the front door.

Are these vendors both gluten free? I have never noticed a sign nor been told, and I always ask. Thanks!

Are these vendors both gluten free? I have never noticed a sign nor been told, and I always ask. Thanks!

Both vendors have small signs near the actual bread. The DiMinnos folks have some gluten free but not all. They are usually marked or just ask.

Archived