Chapala.com Webboard

IMPORTATION OF AIR RIFLE?

Can anyone provide accurate information regarding the legality of importing a non-co2, cocking, spring type air rifle?

I know they sell them all over Mexico in Walmarts, etc. but I'm reading mixed reports as to bringing them into Mexico. Some say they've had no problems at all, considered a sporting good or "toy" under Mexican law, even having had them checked at military check points, only to have them handed back and given the blessings to continue on. Others say they are illegal to import, try and go to jail.....

I have an extensive firearms collection which I'm going to have rid myself of before moving to Joco full time. Among them is a beautiful German made RWS 350 air rifle in .22 cal., considered the finest air rifles in the world which I'd truly like to hang on to. They can be purchased in Mexico apparently but for around $2000US! Four times what they cost in US and I'd hate to fork out that kind of cash to replace it. I especially want to keep the one I have for sentimental reasons, being it would be the sole survivor of a life long rare collection.

Anyone familiar with Mexican law surrounding this topic?

Thank you!

Here is the answer

http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2011/descargas/ImportacionArmas.pdf

Here is the answer

http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2011/descargas/ImportacionArmas.pdf

Muchisimas Gracias Spencer!

This wouldn't apply to Pedro's Pistols - but are you sure there isn't some fine print on the air rifles. I was looking at an RWS 9mm (357 calibre) air rifle a few years ago. It had a muzzle velocity of 1,200 fps, semi automatic (I think 18 slugs), mostly quiet, and was charged with a high pressure scuba tank. I thought that this could not be sold under air rifle status in Canada, and sure enough the velocity was too high.

On a brief search I found that South Korea is producing a variety of large calibre air rifles. Now I don't have any use for this - but I know Spencer is a firearms enthusiast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t-7lEPKeWY

This wouldn't apply to Pedro's Pistols - but are you sure there isn't some fine print on the air rifles. I was looking at an RWS 9mm (357 calibre) air rifle a few years ago. It had a muzzle velocity of 1,200 fps, semi automatic (I think 18 slugs), mostly quiet, and was charged with a high pressure scuba tank. I thought that this could not be sold under air rifle status in Canada, and sure enough the velocity was too high.

On a brief search I found that South Korea is producing a variety of large calibre air rifles. Now I don't have any use for this - but I know Spencer is a firearms enthusiast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t-7lEPKeWY

This is a good point. The 9mm PCP's are as lethal as cartridge rifles and can be used to hunt deer! I can't find one in RWS though. I wonder if Mexican law has even considered these "big bore" air rifles. PCP powered rifles are allowed importation but who knows in this large calibre.

This does not affect me since mine is a .22 cal. Many thanks to Spencer again for clarifying the law on this point.

You are likely right. I remember they were made in Germany, but the reviews mentioned the awesome power for an air rifle, but they aimed poorly and were thought to be noisy. RWS, as the finest air rifle manufacturer in the world would never let that go into production.

Spencer has always wished for a gun club Lakeside, I believe he is a skeets instructor. Maybe an air rifle/pistol club only is a more easily put together alternative? Competitive target shooting, some sort of motion targets. It would certainly be a lot quieter and "greener" than a typical gun club and the pellets would be easily recyclable. I don't know the laws in Jalisco, but the number one advantage would be that you could take your airarm (another new word folks!) home with you instead of locking up at the club to become an attractive target for thieves.

You are likely right. I remember they were made in Germany, but the reviews mentioned the awesome power for an air rifle, but they aimed poorly and were thought to be noisy. RWS, as the finest air rifle manufacturer in the world would never let that go into production.

Spencer has always wished for a gun club Lakeside, I believe he is a skeets instructor. Maybe an air rifle/pistol club only is a more easily put together alternative? Competitive target shooting, some sort of motion targets. It would certainly be a lot quieter and "greener" than a typical gun club and the pellets would be easily recyclable. I don't know the laws in Jalisco, but the number one advantage would be that you could take your airarm (another new word folks!) home with you instead of locking up at the club to become an attractive target for thieves.

A range Lakeside would be very cool. I would support any venture in setting one up. Didn't know that was an interest of Spencer's. I shot skeet with my Browning Citori O/U for some years at our local club in Port Townsend, WA. but quit some 10 years back. Now out of practice. An air rifle range would be wonderful, and as you point out, would not disturb anyone and be greener.

You are not kidding that air rifle shooting is another world. They even have precision bench rest shooting with rifles such as Feinwerkbau ($3000US and up) etc. I gave up skeet to do long range precision loading and bench rest shooting with a custom hand made rifle I had built in North Carolina by a famous retired Marine Corps sniper rifle armorer. Our range only extended to 300 yards but we could get groups of 1/8' MOA at that distance. Putting all the rounds in one hole just about. To see what the rifle really can do you need a 1000 yard range. None around here. I've been away from that too in resent years. Would be fun to get back into the air rifle equivalent when I retire to Joco! Would be great to get some people together on this.

I had sort of lost interest in this - then I realized it would be a great opportunity to build a reproduction Carnival side show "Shooting Gallery" on a vintage Mexicana theme. You know the shooting ducks - win a prize type contraption. It would be great fun for charity raising events. If you have a commercial bent, it could also be rented out for private parties, etc. I have an organization in mind who could possibly supply many air gun members, as well as a master woodworker with a full shop.

Of the research i have done, the carnival shooting rifles were all air hose fed bb guns. Makes sense, because you could dial down the velocity. This is never stated, but I have no doubt that the sharpies operating these attractions had a foot switch which would drop the air pressure if anyone looked like they were about to win a prize.

There are opportunities for pest control hunts here, upon invitation of property owners. Rats, of course, but they are now also farming bull frogs on the Lake, and based on history, it is only a matter of time until they escape and then they spread rapidly and destructively. I am very surprised the environmental authorities allowed this, but then again, maybe they didn't even know about it. In Southern B.C., hunting has been the only way to eliminate the Bull Frogs, in many areas native species have been completely wiped out.

Another thought - the air rifle is used in a number of Olympic events, is it not. Another opportunity to involve locals and Tapatios.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What I find not logical is the SAT reg's that Spencer links above is the fact that a "rifle scope" requires special permission, but the air rifle itself does not....hmmm.

Doesn't make much sense to me either but I'm sure the logic goes that a scope can be used and makes a high powered rifle more effective as well.

• 7 months later...

Hi Pedro Malo, tried your PM, but it indicates "no permission". Like you I have an RWS 350, that I want to bring to lakeside. Were you able to bring it in? What mode of transportation did you use?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Just for your info I was coming through customs about a month ago and a guy was bringing in 2-3 professional style air guns. The first guy was a little bit unsure. Called the boss over and he said that it was ok. The first guy wanted to see a club letter????? The second guy said no problem. I believe they had scopes. As always an adventure here..... Asked about hunting knives . Said no problem. No bayonets or sabers though ( Long curved and sharpened on one side).

Archived