Chapala.com Webboard

Aljibe Repair

chartiec

My aljibe began losing water. The gardener said he could seal the cracks and repaint the inside. I let him do it and now we're having misgivings. He drained the tank and seemed to do a good job repairing the cracks as it now stays full. Our concern is that he painted it with oil based paint which he let dry 24 hours before refilling the tank. He became quite sick from the fumes while doing the work and there remains a slight odor to the water. Our concern is could this be toxic? Any thoughts on toxicity or how we should do this the next time would be appreciated.

Not sure if it is toxic, but painting the interior of an aljibe should not be done for those reasons, eventual flaking, etc. If you use your aljibe for drinking water I would stop. Maybe someone who knows about water filters will comment if they might work.

"Painting" the inside of an aljibe is kind of strange if he just used some sort of regular oil-based paint. Can you provide details on the specific product that the gardener used (brand, product type, etc.). Fester makes some excellent products for this specific purpose.

Archived