Chapala.com Webboard

Hit and Runs

HarryB

Monday between 11 and 12 someone at Dr. ladrones/Animal shelter hit and took out the entire passenger side of our car. We have Dr. Ladrones sign in sheet and am checking with the Animal shelter re security cameras. Too often it has become common practice among expats to do something like this and not own up to those damaged. Of course, many will say that's what Mexicans would do.

Firstly some Mexicans would own up to their damages. Those who run have nothing to lose. Your insurance is based on the value of your car, Jalisco is basically no fault. Those who leave the scene of an accident do have something to lose. Jail time if caught. Fines, impoundment of your car, loss of your residency permit. Liens against your property both here and in your home country. Is it worth it? All someone has to do is say I saw....

The justice system is slow and painful, police are too lazy to go after drivers and you need to file with the ministerio publico and bring lots of papers. Best to call your insurance company and have insurance. People are cheap and lazy. I have cases where foreigners were too lazy to call their insurance, too cheap to want to pay their deductible and stiffed Mexicans after crashing into them all the whole promising to pay. Next time we will ask for them to go to jail if they dont pay on the spot or call their insurance.

Harry, what an awful thing to happen! And I am bothered my the implications: People who really care about their pets go to Lladron's (and other vets), and one wishes to think that people who care about their pets care about other people, too! These are people who would not let their animals suffer, but think it is okay to let you suffer??? I know that you are a pet lover AND ALSO a car lover. Yes, cars are only metal but but one may love one's car. Especially when one has a lovely car. I can only hope that whoever smacked your car was delirious with concern about their pet, and had no insurance. GUTLESS and indigent? Alas, those terms may apply to quite a few people here. I am imagining a person for whom their cat or dog is their greatest asset, and who now has a banged up old car that barely functions. On the other hand, they may just be an arrogant SOB. One never knows, do one? At any rate, my sympathies!

Harry--I saw a white SUV backing out of the inside parking area of Ladron's and coming very close to another vehicle (I think an SUV) parked right outside the gate. I remember thinking as I drove by that if the white SUV did not pull forward and straighten out it was going to scrape the side of the other vehicle. However, it would have hit the driver's side not the passenger side as you describe so I don't believe that was your car in its way. I also think it was later than noon. Good luck in finding the culprit. I have had someone back right into my vehicle with me in it and knock off a piece of trim. That driver never even stopped to see if he had done any damage.

I echo Spencer's concerns. There is a new Transito Commandante and I'm going to discuss this issue with him when I get a chance. I don't want to see other expats treated more harshly, but, I do want to see hit and runs punished severely as it is becoming so commonplace in our community. Expats add much to the life here. This is one detractor that needs to be dealt with..

About three weeks ago, we were going to Roberto's and an expat hit a Mexican motorcyclist on the road. Now we were walking by and my husband ran to the motorcyclist to help him up and get his motorcycle off the road. The woman immediately said, "I don't have any money" and her husband started to berate my husband asking him what the hell he think he was doing whereby my husband replied, "I am just trying to get the motorcycle off the road." They were smug and didn't give a hoot about the poor fellow. If we had had our car we would have taken him to a clinic because his leg was torn open. Some Mexican youths took him to the side with his motorcycle and we left as we had no car.

About three weeks ago, we were going to Roberto's and an expat hit a Mexican motorcyclist on the road. Now we were walking by and my husband ran to the motorcyclist to help him up and get his motorcycle off the road. The woman immediately said, "I don't have any money" and her husband started to berate my husband asking him what the hell he think he was doing whereby my husband replied, "I am just trying to get the motorcycle off the road." They were smug and didn't give a hoot about the poor fellow. If we had had our car we would have taken him to a clinic because his leg was torn open. Some Mexican youths took him to the side with his motorcycle and we left as we had no car.

Mexico never used to have a Good Samaritan law protecting you from helping an accident victim. Not sure about now so before you attempt to help any such victim check with your attorney. If anything happens to them and you have any money at all.......well you can probably guess the result even if your help had nothing to do with it.

What we wish and what we believe can be completely irrelevant. Cruz Roja is the only authorized first aid resource that I know of. Others may not be permitted to assist without liability. Unless something has changed in recent years, I assume that still applies.

Guest bennie2

people have helped me when i fell, both expats & mexicans. people helped my mother (cpr) when she had a heart attack. doesnt look like the law is followed.

people have helped me when i fell, both expats & mexicans. people helped my mother (cpr) when she had a heart attack. doesnt look like the law is followed.

There is no "law" to follow bennie, that's the point!

Guest bennie2

it was illegal to give my mother CPR, but they did. this opinion is based upon what i read on expat forums. who knows how true it is?

Harry a lot of the parking spots in front of the Ladron Clinic are used by people visiting the businesses on the east side of the Careterra, on the next block passed the Catholic Church. I hope you find the culprit.

it was illegal to give my mother CPR, but they did. this opinion is based upon what i read on expat forums. who knows how true it is?

Not illegal, just that no law exists to shield the good samaritan from being sued by the victim if they think you caused any harm. Such laws are prevalent in other countries, especially where many Lakesiders come from, and they find it hard to believe there is no such law here. You won't be arrested for giving first aid but you may well be sued.

Harry, any progress on this? I am trying to think that the damage was caused by some person who had just dropped off their pet for a "last visit" to Lladron's and was perhaps sobbing and not quite in their right mind. Altho I must say that I have been there, in terms of last pet visits to Lladron's, and I managed to drive okay. And I would be perfectly capable of leaving a card under your windshield wipers, even if I could not bear to stay. Well, I hope you can restore your car. I seem to remember that I paid extra recently to get coverage from Parker Insurance for this sort of situation. Since this was an enhancement to previous coverage, I have to think that this sort of thing is increasingly common here. I have a friend who parks his truck in front of his house in Joco, and one night the neighbor (uninsured of course!) came home drunk and rammed into my friend's truck at speed, with a vague thought of trying to park. Of course, my friend is never going to get any money out of his drunk neighbor, who is uninsured. SIGH! And then there are the drivers from Guad! Not to mention that I went to SJC today and there were those white uniformed donation-seekers at the fish restaurant strip, and one guy actually stuck out his hand and touched my windshield both going and returning--he is damned lucky I did not hit the accelerator! Well, I digress!

Last year while our car was parked an old pick up ran into the back of it and then hit a Honda Pilot which was driving down the street on Juan Alvarez, they just kept going. The driver of the Honda Pilot chased him down. The pick up driver said "I don't have any brakes so I'm not paying." After being upset for a day, I duct taped my smashed up bumper and left it that way for about 3 months until the tape started coming off. I then went to what was Fernandos got a new bumper and had it painted. Just like new for 2500 pesos. I have told the story many times and we all get a good laugh. The guy was in the wrong, but hey I want to live peacefully and it is all about attitude. We are no longer NOB and this is just the way things are...right or wrong. Move on.

Archived