Chapala.com Webboard

El Sarape Restaurant

Wookie

We stopped for dinner at El Sarape tonight. They had 3 or 4 specials listed on their board so we decided to try the pork chops and they were delicious. The price was what we thought a little high at $120.00 pesos until they brought them out. There were 2 very large pork chops with a really tasty sauce, rice and beans. We both took a pork chop home and will have lunch tomorrow. You might want to give them a try next time you are there.

120 pesos, $7.75 USD is high??? Seriously?? this is what is wrong with this Chapala, people who think just because it's Mexico everything should be given away. You get what you pay for.

Just for the record, 120 pesos is $9.40 Canadian but it's still a bargain for the dinner provided. I'm betting it would cost you at least $20 Cdn. in Canada.

I agree with ComputerGuy.... lets compare pork chops to pork chops !

Yes, it was supposed to be a full on recommendation as you say Computer Guy. I just know that there are some that are watching their pennies at times and I thought it prudent to mention the price. Also, that it is more than enough for 2 meals and it is very good. We eat at El Sarape's at least once a week and enjoy all their offerings, however, we had never had pork chops there before. Besides the Mexican food, which we really like ... every other kind of food we have had there has been great. It is also my favorite place to go for a cheeseburger and fries ... they know that I can not eat iceberg lettuce and never forget to put fresh spinach on my burger instead. Comfortable, friendly, reasonable prices, excellent service ....

If you get a group of people together, ask Marco if he will make you a pizza a couple of days in advance. We did and it was yummy. He loves to cook new things and has many cookbooks that he will let you look through. Just assure him you will bring enough people to not have leftovers that he can't charge for. Prices are always reasonable and he will get any wine you want and have it ready for you. We have had him fix "Thanksgiving in July" for a group of friends and it has always been great. He is very accomodating, just inquire.

Try their enchiladas sometime. I think that they're delicious. Makes me hungry just thinking of them.

And his shrimp soup, a full docena and delicious. His Mexican style chicken soup, white meat or dark, on the bone or no bones? He has regular customers that come for just that and to go. Fish, breaded and fried or grilled in butter and garlic. His homemade tartar sauce to go with that is special. Oh yeah, he does serve fajitas. Apple dapple for desert? Not always available but when it is............ Bring some vanilla ice cream in case he's out and he will keep it frozen and top the apple dapple. I'm hungry just typing.

• 4 weeks later...

I really dislike registering a complaint about a restaurant because I know what a difficult business it is and mishaps can happen in the best of them. Until this past Thursday, every meal we have ever ordered at El Sarape has been enjoyable enough to warrant return visits when in the mood for Cal or Tex Mex walk down memory lane. So, it was a great surprise that all three of us were uniformly and seriously disappointed in our respective orders of a camarones a tequila con arroz, barbecued ribs, and a combination plate of a taco and enchilada. Overcooked and "tasteless" shrimp dish, fatty and mostly bone ribs (including the underlying bone plate) and enchilada and taco essentially devoid of filling. Wow. We are still shaking our heads over the experience. We will, of course, return there for lunch in hopes that this experience was just a rare "one of those days."

Somebody's got to be the naysayer, so here goes: I hate to think what tequila is in those margaritas, but whenever I've had one, a world class headache results. I gave up, and now just order a beer.

Also: If you order a burrito, it's good, but bone dry. Needs some kind of sauce, but the only sauce available (far as I know) is a fire breathing bowl on the table. Nothing against hot sauce, but if I can't get it past my tongue, I know my stomach isn't going to love it.

However, on the plus side: They have a great chicken dish with a delicious mild sauce, the soups are outstanding and the service is friendly.

Archived