Chapala.com Webboard

Internet and TV

asisis

Someone told me one can get a satelite dish on roof and through Shaw get TV, internet AND phone.

Is this true? I dont seem to find anywhere to actually sign up locally for if it is true. Are there other ways to get all this in one package locally without using the TelMex or Telecable system?

Someone told me one can get a satelite dish on roof and through Shaw get TV, internet AND phone.

Is this true? I dont seem to find anywhere to actually sign up locally for if it is true. Are there other ways to get all this in one package locally without using the TelMex or Telecable system?

In certain areas of rural Canada you can get a satellite dish for internet (Xplornet) and they have a deal with Shaw for a % of reduction in cost if you have both Shaw & Xplornet). They both use dishes.

CG or Pete :

Technical question: If we brought down a Shaw satellite dish and receiver pair designed for broadcasting/transmitting back up to the Shaw satellite, why wouldn't the internet and phone features work here?

Both of Shaw's main satellites 107.3W and 111.1W are over the equator, making them much closer to us here in Mexico, than the Shaw users in Canada. By being closer to the Shaw satellites over the equator, a Shaw home internet system in Mexico would actually hit the satellites with more power than from Canada.

Is there possibly an issue of how Shaw's receiving antennas on their satellites are aimed/tuned (focusing on receiving only Canadian-geography based customer's uplinks)?

Is Shaw using more than one satellite for the phone and internet uplinks? If Shaw uses only one satellite for internet & phone, and that satellite is the same one we receive our TV from, then their special internet/phone dish + special receiver might work here for internet?

... but ... even if the satellite's receiving antennas receive our Mexican home-beamed uplink signals, still, the downloads might be pokey-slow - because the satellite's broadcast antennas are aimed at Canada. ?? ... Just curious.

The service is not available here. They partner with xplornet and it is not available to just anyone in Canada. Generally speaking, two way communication with Shaw works through the phone line connected to the receiver box, so obviously that becomes a moot point. As to the technical issues to which you refer, I would direct you to their website support.

OK... Thanks.

I had assumed Shaw had copied the Hughes system, with satellite uplinks, to be able to provide phone and internet to rural customers who had no physical phone lane-line or physical Shaw cable coming into the house.

Your proposal says that the Shaw internet service only works when you have a telephone wire land-line running into the house - like a DSL line or Shaw cable - which means the Shaw internet and phone services don't work in rural, remote, or mountainous areas of Canada?

Seems odd to claim nationwide phone and internet service across Canada, when Shaw require either a fiber-optic cable, a copper cable, or DSL cable into every house - or no phone or internet service. Believable, but weird. (imagine that, a big company over-states their services in commercials)

No, sorry, I should have been more clear: their On Demand TV, and PayPerView events, require a phone line, because you order these things via a menu item and it "calls up" Shaw. Thus the reason for the phone jack on the back of the boxes. They don't actually use the dish that way, and it's not for Internet. And I am unfamiliar with the explornet option, that's why I suggested checking their site. I did spend about five minutes looking for info on this, and it was very sketchy, so it will probably require some emails with them to figure out the options.

No, sorry, I should have been more clear: their On Demand TV, and PayPerView events, require a phone line, because you order these things via a menu item and it "calls up" Shaw. Thus the reason for the phone jack on the back of the boxes. They don't actually use the dish that way, and it's not for Internet. And I am unfamiliar with the explornet option, that's why I suggested checking their site. I did spend about five minutes looking for info on this, and it was very sketchy, so it will probably require some emails with them to figure out the options.

Xplornet is very pricey ( more or less $90.00 Cdn a month) for internet service. It is a parallel set up with dish and receiver and yes, it transmits and receive Internet only. If you are a Shaw Direct customer your get a 15% reduction. They usually give you a deal for the first 3 months at a cheaper rate then back to regular price. As ComputerGuy said this service is available in Canada only.

Thanks.

It only makes sense to offer nationwide coverage and service if Shaw uses a special dish and receiver combination to uplink with a satellite.

That leads me back to the question: Has anyone on this board tried bringing the special Shaw dish and special receiver/transmitter here to Mexico, to see if it uplinks with the Shaw satellites that sit over the equator (closer for Mexican Shaw users to beam data at). Clearly, under Canadian broadcast rules and international agreements, Shaw must tell their customers: "No, our service is only for Canada." which is different from saying that it does or does not work in Mexico. ?

I usually bring down my Shaw equipment, have done so since before it's first day of transmission on then Anik F-1 at 107.3 W. in February, 2001

I love my 75 E elliptical dish and yes the footprint which is pointed toward Canada does leak into the US and Mexico from all but the newest satellite, Anik G-1 which doesn't reach this far south. And yes, if I wanted to communicate back with Shaw Direct, I would need to connect a telephone line to the back of my receiver. I guess I would use a VoIP device so that my telephone number would appear to be from my up North Canadian cottage.

And yes, when I need a rehit, or to renew my programming information, I go on line using a VPN to suggest my location to be near my cottage. No, Shaw Direct satellites located at 107.3 and 111.1 West to not receive information from our satellite dishes and pass it on to someone else. The are there to receive data from their upload stations and send those signals back down to the ground,

Sadly the new satellites are better focusing their signals over their intended target with less bleed-over reaching this far south.

Remember that these satellites sitting over the equator focus their signals on the countries they are trying to reach, and if they are pointing to Europe even though we can point our dishes toward them, we don't get the signal. It doesn't matter that we are close to the equator, the same goes for signals meant for South America. So just because we are closer to the satellite we might want to receive signals from, we are only get signals from those that are pointed toward or almost toward us.

This link: https://www.xplornet.com/plans-pricing/residential-plans-pricing-details/shows Xplornet packages running from 1.5 Mbps to 10 Mbps, via 4G satellite. Prices go from $5Cdn to $85 per month, with a $99 activation fee.... which leads me to think that the Internet service could be location-specific, as opposed to Shaws blanket coverage. That might make it tricky to get anything here. (Note that these prices do not include Shaw anything or phone; for that info you have to contact sales.)

Archived