Chapala.com Webboard

FMM at MEX or GDL?

I have never done this yet but it would seem logical to me that you would need to do it in MEX as that is the "Port of Exit" from Mexico. The flight from GDL to MEX is a domestic flight and the gate attendants wouldn't be looking for the exit form when you board the plane.

Is the desk before or after Security? I'll be on Iberia. And someone told me you have to check-in first before doing the FMM. Is that true?

Sorry, but I do not remember exactly. Our experience has always involved flying on Aeromexico to Mexico City and then connecting with an Air Canada flight to Toronto. I am pretty sure we were able to check our bags in Guadalajara right through to Toronto where they also issued us with the Air Canada boarding passes. So we did not have to check in again in Mexico City. My recollection is that they wanted to see the Mexican Immigration stamp on the bottom portion of the FMM at the gate, before boarding the flight. Perhaps a local travel agent could tell you. I have found they are quite helpful, even if you did not book the flight through them.

Once in Mexico City you will take the train to the International Terminal. You have already gone through security (in Guadalajra). You will only have to go through security again IF you re-enter the main terminal.

As you walk towards your departure gate, before getting to the gate, you will see on your left side an immigration area (it is small and usually only one person). There will usually be a few people lined up there.

IF you arrive at the gate area you missed it....go back and look again.

Agree with the other posters, you clear immigration at your point of exit. Mexico City in this case.

Since the DF airport has few signs ,here are some waypoints to help you out.

When you check in at GDL ask if your bags will be checked through to your final destination or if you have to pick them up and check in again in DF. If you have to check in again do that first on arrively at your departre terminal. In this instance you will need to clear all security points again. If you arrive and depart from T1 you will not need to go through security again. If you do not need to check in again in DF, proceed directly to immigration on exiting yor plane. Simply walk in the direction of increasing gate numbers until you see the immigration kiosk, as described below. If you need to recheck your bags then go to baggage claim, collect your bags and proceed to check in. Prepare to walk about 1Km from T1 baggage claim to where you check in for your international flight.

If you fly into T2 and out of T1 you need to find the train to transfer terminals. You will exit the secure area and head for level two (be sure to pick up your bags first in baggage claim if you need to check in again). Watch for and follow the signs with a picture of a train. You will likely have to go up the escalator to the second level from your arrival point. Be prepared for a security checkpoint at the access to the train (the usual type). Guards will ask to see your passport and boarding pass for T1 before allowing you on the train (a copy of your itinerary will do but a pre-boarding pass is better).

Once you get to T1, cross over the small bridge to enter the terminal and head left towards check in if you have to recheck your bag. Otherwise, when flying international out of terminal 1 you must clear security again at gate G or H (second level past the food court and Hilton hotel). Once clear, turn left past all that duty free shopping then head to the immigration kiosk, always heading left or as if you are going to a higher gate number. The kiosk is down the hallway past gate 25, located sort of as a small island between the Starbucks and the Hermes stores. If you get into a long hallway with moving sidewalks you went too far. The kiosk is well marked and usually has one agent present.

On the other hand, if Iberia flys out of terminal 2 you still go through immigration there, but you are on your own to find it, unless some other reader has left the country out of that terminal.

Happy travels

Archived