Chapala.com Webboard

How is Telecable reliability these days

The number of people I know with Telecable service is a tiny percentage, so I can't really say, but it appears to be better than it was. I'm waiting for this new 100MB download speed to materialize, as promised by the new Unity/Telecable service...Then let's talk.

I remember maybe 4+ years ago when I was told soon Telecable would have 90+ channels. Sadly soon apparently meant 3+ years ago. Some 6 months ago the same Telecable supervisor told me that in maybe a year we would be at 100 megs. He laughed when I reminded him of what he told me the last time about when we would have more channels.

What I do know, is that my analog/digital Telecable connection is much more reliable where I live at the top of Juarez in Ajijic, everything is much better than before but still slightly less reliable than my more or less perfect Telmex ADSL connection. However, I am apparently, according to Telmex, only live 1080 meters from my Telmex DSLAM card, and that is probably why I almost always get the 10 megs I am paying for.

Telmex still sucks and I'm still happy with Telecable.

It totally depends on where you are so I would ask your neighbours. We are on the opposite side of the carretera from Villa Nova...down Rio Bravo and west on Ocampo. Telecable has either been stringing new lines or updating old ones or putting in boosters...dunno. But that's the first time in seven weeks that we've been without Cable and it only lasted a couple of hours.

We're paying 400 pesos (+ 52 pesos for wifi) for 8 mb/sec and often get 10 in the early a.m.

YMMV

Anyone have experience with Telecable in Chapala, specifically the south east corner? I now have TelMex and it is getting worse and worse (guess I mean slower and slower).

When I lived in Chapala Centro over four years ago I had Telecable and it went out regularly for hours or, sometimes days, at a time. Telmex has been very reliable but this slow down is killing me.

Telecable has been pretty reliable over the last year or 2 but as stated, a lot may depend on your location. I have the 10mb service and the majority of the day speedtest confirms that number down and about 1.5mb up. At times the speeds slow down but not that often.

The price is listed on the Telecable web page although they are only valid if you subscribe to some level of TV service. Without TV the posted 10mb fee of $402 pesos rises to a little over $700. You can subscribe to Internet without TV if you want.

Don't waste the $50 pesos/month "rental" for a wireless modem unless you want to minimize the number of boxes you need for service. At that price it wouldn't take long to pay for a wireless router that plugs into the cable modem.

They did install fiber optic along the carretera a couple of years ago and it looks like they are bringing it into some of the neighborhoods. Once the fiber is in place they might have the chance of offering some serious speeds.

There are lots of reasons why DSL Internet can slow down, that don't have anything to do with the service provider, but rather the modem itself and your computer settings.

I started with the router at 6mb, then they changed it down to 5mb. I could live with that but the actual down speed is around 3mb and the up speed is down below .20. That clips my Vonage phone.

I'm more interested in increasing my up speed than anything else

I also live in Villa Nova. On January 1st I understood the package deals with Telmex changed. They now allow free long distance calling to the US and Canada. If I read the new plan descriptions properly it says for both the 389 pesos plan and the 599 pesos plan that the Internet speed would delivered at the fastest speed possible in your area. I have the 389p plan and my standard 3M jumped to 5M and stayed steady at that level. It seems the difference in price has to do with other features like the number of calls and free long distance to the US and Canada and the world.

My Telecable speed dropped in January to 1mb even though I pay for 10, call them weekly and months later no fix

I also live in Villa Nova. On January 1st I understood the package deals with Telmex changed. They now allow free long distance calling to the US and Canada. If I read the new plan descriptions properly it says for both the 389 pesos plan and the 599 pesos plan that the Internet speed would delivered at the fastest speed possible in your area. I have the 389p plan and my standard 3M jumped to 5M and stayed steady at that level. It seems the difference in price has to do with other features like the number of calls and free long distance to the US and Canada and the world.

It sounds like my 2mb drop was given to you. GIVE IT BACK!!!!

Telmex used to advertise their speeds and the $389 package could have modem settings as high as 6 + megs down and you could get maybe 5 megs down if you are located close enough to the internet network (Where your DSLAM card connects to the internet) Often they still offer that speed to those close in.

I live at the top of Juarez in Ajijic which according to Telmex is 1080 meters from my connection to the information highway (DSLAM Card). I pay $599 and because I am close, I receive excellent service in fact right now I am getting

4317089709.png

Yet folks living about a block further West from me have been forced to go to Telecable, which I am told by these neighbors is much more reliable than it used to be.

In fact the Telcel folks are talking about giving speeds even higher than they have today.

What is best for you? It all depends upon where you live. For me Telmex is terribly reliable and almost never goes out, which sadly is not the case for JM30655, who is now looking at Telcel for a better option. I wish him the best and hope he finds Telcel to be great where he lives.

I think that most of us are ticked off by the veil of secrecy that Telmex is operating under.

We used to get 5 down and 1 up in the same location that we are now. That dropped to 1.7 down and 0.6 up and we started calling Mexico City to find out what was going on... "There's a problem"......NO KIDDING! However we were never told what the problem was or when it would be fixed. Then we find out that the $999 peso plan no longer exists. Helllloooo? We were still paying it long after it no longer existed. That's called fuzzy math.

I am but one customer and I am crying foul. If you're happy with their service then you're lucky. I certainly have been happy with their service for nineteen years but I hate being treated like a mushroom by being kept in the dark and having $hit thrown at me. YMMV.

Sure Telmex changed my setting cutting the speed in half telling me (incorrectly) my line quality was not good enough to give me the faster speeds. However I was prepared for that,I went in, brought copies of the settings in my modem showing that they had cut my speed in half and showed the records by date of speed data for Telmex and spoke with respect in Spanish to the folks there and they phoned not Mexico City but someone in Guadalajara and within a few days my speed was set back to the higher speed.

I find the nicer I am to these folks the better. In fact, when the speed was set back up I went in and thanked them profusely for helping me.

And no, my Spanish is not close to being perfect, but it's understandable. I also have Telecable analog and digital and I always get great service from them. again because they remember me as being a polite foreigner who tries to Speak to them in Spanish.

But were I to be located in an area where there was no good connectivity, all the niceness in the world would not help.

Like Intercasa, we have the same problems with our Telecable internet. We've spent so much time with Profeco, their engineer, Jesus Felix, and many other technicians. The problem is never localized to our property but either in the office or with the fiber optics cable.

We pay for 8 and usually get 1-2 and it cuts in and out intermittently constantly which makes streaming extremely difficult and frustrating.

Wish we had another option. TelMex is equally as unreliable, in our experience.

ARGH!

Valerie :(

I find the nicer I am to these folks the better. In fact, when the speed was set back up I went in and thanked them profusely for helping me.

And no, my Spanish is not close to being perfect, but it's understandable. I also have Telecable analog and digital and I always get great service from them. again because they remember me as being a polite foreigner who tries to Speak to them in Spanish.

But were I to be located in an area where there was no good connectivity, all the niceness in the world would not help.

LOL! Why, Pete, are you assuming that I wasn't polite?

The fact remains that we are in an area where good connectivity was the norm. Now, it's not and nobody seems to know why. Curious don't you think?

Sorry Ferret, I did not mean that, even if it accidently sounded that way. I was only trying to say what is happening with me. And all I know is the more Spanish slang I can speak and the more I can joke around the better luck I have getting better service.

I'm just very lucky to live where I do, where they can give me fast service, should they want to.

Yes both analog and digital Telecable is now out in my part of upper Ajijic. In fact the three or four US network channels from the antenna at the West Chapala Telecable office near Maskeras are out as well

Telecable came back up around 3:30 this afternoon so it was out about 5 hours. It was a little squirrely yesterday evening with download speeds about half of normal. Now speedtest reports about 10.5mb down and 1.6 up. That's normal or a bit better.

Well both Telmex and Telecable were down today. Telmex beat Telecable back up. They both go up and down. I give both a C- but Telecable is investing in the wiring while Telmex is slowing folks down and doing nothing to improve product. I would bet money on Telecable being the first fast internet lakeside but when who knows. My Mom has Fiber Optic cable with 60 download speed for what I pay for 10 (600P)with Telecable if you want to know what the modern world is doing. If this still does not make you feel better you should remember when service here was very very bad both slow and intermittent. For now I keep both Telmex and Telecable for some sense of reliability.

I happened to be at the Telecable office today two times, because I needed a new remote for my digital TV receiver. Apparently Telecable was down where I lived in Ajijic during part of the day because they were updating the cabling down below in or before Ajijic. And they stated that it would be running again soon when I was there around 3 PM.

PS The were very helpful and replaced my remote with a new one free of charge.

Archived