Chapala.com Webboard

Need Advice on Route To Travel

3palms

We are planning on travelling north in a few days. We will be taking Hwy 57 Cuota Road to Saltillo and staying overnight there. From there we were thinking of taking the highway to Eagle Pass. Has anyone taken this route lately and could advise on the condition of the highway. According to my map it doesn't look like a double highway or a cuota road. And of course wondering if it is safe to travel. Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

Also any suggestions as to a safe and convenient hotel/motel to stay in Saltillo?

I have taken that road (57 Saltillo to Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass) many times and lately. It is a very good, wide 2-lane road and not cuota. Mostly straight as an arror from Saltillo to Monclova; then normal from there to the border. Gas up before you leave Saltillo as there is only one Pemex (new) and it was not open the last time I went through that stretch.

Drive straight thru Monclova..... do NOT take any bypass out through Frontera..... on 57 (Harold Pape Blvd). It is divided 4-6 lane but with many signal lights. Obey the posted speed limit. Nice clean city/town.

After that, and just past Sabinas, take the toll road towards Piedras Negras and do NOT take the free road in that section. Immediately after the toll road ends (outside Allende) is the Immigration station if you need to cancel a TIP or do any visa transactions. Small facility and never busy. Once in Piedras Negras just follow signs to the border/bridge.

One does not go thru Saltillo on the 57 route.... you skirt it to the east/north. There are not any motels out on that part of 57 and you may have to 'double back' into town (on the north side around Ramos Arizpe) towards the airport to find any number of hotels. It is not far out of your way and then you can just retrack out to 57/Monclova in the morning. I usually stay in Matehuala prior to Saltillo or Monclova (which is a longer drive from Lakeside... but plenty doable).

I have taken that road (57 Saltillo to Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass) many times and lately. It is a very good, wide 2-lane road and not cuota. Mostly straight as an arror from Saltillo to Monclova; then normal from there to the border. Gas up before you leave Saltillo as there is only one Pemex (new) and it was not open the last time I went through that stretch.

Drive straight thru Monclova..... do NOT take any bypass out through Frontera..... on 57 (Harold Pape Blvd). It is divided 4-6 lane but with many signal lights. Obey the posted speed limit. Nice clean city/town.

After that, and just past Sabinas, take the toll road towards Piedras Negras and do NOT take the free road in that section. Immediately after the toll road ends (outside Allende) is the Immigration station if you need to cancel a TIP or do any visa transactions. Small facility and never busy. Once in Piedras Negras just follow signs to the border/bridge.

One does not go thru Saltillo on the 57 route.... you skirt it to the east/north. There are not any motels out on that part of 57 and you may have to 'double back' into town (on the north side around Ramos Arizpe) towards the airport to find any number of hotels. It is not far out of your way and then you can just retrack out to 57/Monclova in the morning. I usually stay in Matehuala prior to Saltillo or Monclova (which is a longer drive from Lakeside... but plenty doable).

Thanks Ricks, would it be a safe route to take or would it be better to stay on the toll road to Laredo. We are going west on # 10.

Archived