Chapala.com Webboard

Packaged tuna

ComputerGuy

Another thread mentioned tuna for cats and has wandered off into tuna-land, so I thought I'd post my response in a new thread.

All the canned tuna here sucks. I don't want to pay for CostCo imported tuna, though. There are several brands of tuna in foil packs of 85g. Of the four I know, only TUNY is any good IMHO.

A benefit of foil-packs is your tuna is not floating in liquid in a million tiny flakes. I really don't like tuna in oil (why do they do that?), but for 10 pesos Tuny has Atun amarilla en agua. It doesn't come close to the flavour of the tuna where I come from, but with enough mayo and chopped celery, salt and pepper (and oh yeah, a little sweet relish), it makes a pretty decent toasted sandwich. No bitter aftertaste like the rest seem to have.

When I am jonesing for a real tuna sandwich or salad, I spring for a can of Kirkland and enjoy it.

Other than that, I too have found that only the foil pack stuff is worth even buying. Tuny and Dolores are decent enough and do not break the budget.

Flash frozen tuna is available at Pacific Seafood west of Ajijic. It is so much better than canned or pouched in foil. It can be cooked like a steak and, if marinated, may fool your taste buds into believing that you are eating something other than fish.

Just an FYI, every brand of Tuna I have seen for sale in Mexico except Kirkland, be it cans or foil, has Soy added. The Kirkland brand from Costco does not. No idea why anyone would add it but I read labels and have yet to find one without soy.

What's wrong with soy? I see lots of people on the Web complaining about it being in tuna, but no explanation as to why. Soy is a by-product found in all kinds of food, and has long been cherished as a healthy vegan choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bennie2

usually sythetic soy derivative. some folks may have a headache from it. cant find the plain old tuna w/just salt like the old days. always something else added.

Google "dangers of soy" and you will get a huge number of hits. Not sure how accurate they are but LOTS of hits listing LOTS of concerns. Not saying I agree or disagree - just saying that it is very easy to find lots of articles discussing the negatives in great detail.

Yeah, a whole bunch. Usually I'm pretty good at Google searches; I must have restricted my own searches to include the word tuna. Unfortunately, everything I've looked at is, as you suggest, not necessarily the most reliable source. Don't see any actual scientific studies with just a quick look.

Archived