Chapala.com Webboard

Security Meeting

HarryB

This friday the 24th from 12 to one p.m. there will be a meeting at LCS to present to the public and get input to a proposed new security plan for the area. All residents are encouraged to attend this open meeting. The new commandante of Transito will be present. The plan originator is candidate for Chapala presidente, Javier Degollado.

Yes, it is Gerardo Degollados brother. I dont think transito has anything to do with security unless they mean the security of peoples money blowing away with the wind at traffic stops.

I did not know that we had security issues...I haven´t heard of break ins or robberies around....

I'm not sure where you would hear of them as the Crime webboard has shut down due to lack of participation. Optimistically, maybe this means there was nothing to report...? But then sometimes I think ignorance is bliss.

A candidate running for Mayor of Chapala has a security plan, that if elected, he may or may not attempt to put in place with or maybe without any and all changes suggested at this meeting and we are encouraged to attend. Why?

I am sure this would be a great photo op for this candidate showing him with a large group of the foreign community, but if he is not elected then what?

I hope I am wrong, but this seems more like a meeting that is politically motivated more than anything else

Why not invite the other mayoral candidates for a security discussion with all of them? That would be interesting and informative. Hopefully..

A security plan proposed by a candidate along with the Transito comandante?

That plan can only be carried out if Degollado is elected, otherwise, that would be a pure waste of time.

BTW , expats don´t vote for municipal candidates why would he want to meet ?.

<snip> I dont think transito has anything to do with security unless they mean the security of peoples money blowing away with the wind at traffic stops.

Absolutely... BUT it may be a chance to tell the new Transito Comandante how pissed of the Gringo community is with having to pay Mordido to his patrolling banditos !

Are you going to attend Spencer ?

Absolutely... BUT it may be a chance to tell the new Transito Comandante how pissed of the Gringo community is with having to pay Mordido to his patrolling banditos !Are you going to attend Spencer ?

It's your choice to pay a mordida or not, you can ask for the ticket rather than paying a bribe,

Guest bennie2

crime site closed because the person went back to the US. there is a local crime section on TOB. more yappyyap then straight foward organized reports. its better than nothing.

It's your choice to pay a mordida or not, you can ask for the ticket rather than paying a bribe,

Exactly! just what I was going to say....ask for the folio (ticket)and sit there until they write it or tell you to get going.

Don't act like a piece of ripe fruit waiting to be picked. And of course, no violator ever offers anything to be let go.

Exactly! just what I was going to say....ask for the folio (ticket)and sit there until they write it or tell you to get going.

Don't act like a piece of ripe fruit waiting to be picked. And of course, no violator ever offers anything to be let go.

I agree.... in fact I've posted the same advise myself BUT until you have faced the master extortionist that stopped me recently, I'm telling you it's easier said than done.

I'm not sure where you would hear of them as the Crime webboard has shut down due to lack of participation. Optimistically, maybe this means there was nothing to report...? But then sometimes I think ignorance is bliss.

Plenty crime around....just not reported . There were 3 break ins in the community where we stayed this winter. I do not think we can report breakings here or violent crimes.

Oh Oatsie you are part of the problem instead of part of the solution. I was stopped, asked for mordido, he even called for his English speaking cohort who asked why I didn't want to settle it right then. They finally gave me the folio which cost me less than what they were asking. The monstors aren't on the road Oatsie, they are under your bed!

I hope this is open to the entire community rather than just foreigners, the vast majority of whom are non citizens and therefore non voters. This political rally should be open and advertised to all voters in the Municipality of Chapala who should be welcomed with their thoughts and questions to help them make an informed decision when it comes time to vote for their néw Presidente.

Is it, Harry?

Well..well..Oatsie..so 'you are part of the problem'????? To quote some one here???

Really..... ??: Makes me sick that some people are so bored and ill informed that they have to play games on this board!!!

I know your story...and other's stories too....and sometimes you cannott even beg a real ticket...some transitos are extortionists..PERIOD......and thats the truth as I see/ hear it!!

So what do they do when "you cannot even beg a real ticket"....put a gun to your head. At that point, anyone should pay a mordida, as it is, no longer a mordida.

I agree with you and have been travelling in Mexico for a very long time. Not all pólice are the same. It might be foolish to stick to the value of never paying a cop to let you go on your way in Mexico. I have been stopped 15 times in 9 years and did pay mordida 2 times. I was asked to "help them out" 4 more times and thought it wise with those police at that time to ask to follow them to the office to pay the ticket. All these times I was driving a California plated car. 4 times I followed them to the office to pay and 3 of the cops didn´t go into the driveway to the office and I waited for them to return and they didn´t show up so I left. The most I paid was $110 USD and was relieved at 4:30 AM to pay it as these 2 cops were very abusive and might have done something ugly to me had I not given into their aggressive demands. The other time I had expired tags and had been south for months and parked my car at my house in Mexicali and the tags were in San Diego and would have had my car impounded and missed a day or two so gave him $300 pesos to go on my way. Using discretion is always a good thing to do and not worry about what might happen if you run into someone who is willing to make your life a nightmare over a few dollars. IMO

PS. Not all places in Mexico are only transitos allowed to give traffic infractions. Here in our state municipal, state and as in all other states Federal Police can stop anyone and give them an infraction. In most places if you are from out of state or out of town they usually ask you to follow them to the office to pay the infraction and take your drivers license and when you arrive with them at the office they write out the ticket at that time and give back your drivers license.

Really..... ??: Makes me sick that some people are so bored and ill informed that they have to play games on this board!!!

I know your story...and other's stories too....and sometimes you cannott even beg a real ticket...some transitos are extortionists..PERIOD......and thats the truth as I see/ hear it!!

Whoa, I have no idea what this thread is talking about any more, but... and I'm not supporting or defending anyone... maybe transito is being represented in the security meeting specifically because of the mordida situation. Bribery is theft, and theft is a security issue.

To backtrack just a little: most newbies here have heard that "the little bite" is a way of life in Mexico, and are presented with ample proof of the concept when they arrive. Having no idea how much an actual ticket is going to cost them, or the traffic rule they "may" have broken, or the language, they are at a huge disadvantage. Heck, they don't even know the difference between a transito and a cop. They will do what they think is expected of them and cough up their "tip".

16 years ago, that's how I was introduced to the "system". A transito in Chapala, in front city hall, kept pointing at the car my step-Dad hard parked on the corner. We were, of course, illegally parked. I had no Spanish at all, so I was at a loss. A couple of minutes later, my step-Dad turned up, pulled out a 50 peso note and gave it to the transito, who thanked him and walked away. I thought "How cool". Times have changed, I've been harrassed for money enough times here, in Guadalajara, and on the highways throughout Mexico to now know what to do (most of the time).

Archived