Chapala.com Webboard

Police versus Citizen Rights

Zeb

Just a comment, Zeb, on your statement above. We have been coming to Mexico since 1999 about 6 months a year, and we have found that the police NOB are much more dependable and trustworthy and honest than those we encounter here. Every place has exceptions. If you want to know about the police, your best bet is to ask the Mexicans, who really know what is going on here; not people like us who live in our own little world here.

Makes me wonder when you mention one example NOB and generalize for the whole country that the police are disregarding "the rule of law". That dog won't hunt here. We, and no one in our families NOB, nor any of our friends NOB, are aware of anything like what you state. And, you even admit that has never happened to you. I think it is good that you have decided to move to Mexico and welcome. You will find a better fit here, since you seem to be familiar with no "rule of law" being enforced. :D

I may not have been clear, so I will clarify. Not all the police are doing the things I mentioned,however ,they are happening. You and those you know being unaware does not make these events not factual. I would say that for myself as well if someone told me of some events with which I was unfamiliar Things don't always have to hit home to be correct.

There is a level of corruption everywhere. It just takes a different forms.

I don't personally have the answer to the OP's question, but I'd certainly trust Spencer's response in Reply #3. I knew it wouldn't take long for this topic to devolve into a diatribe against Mexican police. I am not doubting that some people have had some bad experiences. However, in the 5 years this gringa has lived here, I have NEVER been treated with anything but politeness and respect by any of the varieties of police. This includes the 4 years I drove a US plated car. I have never been pulled over for no reason, I have never been forced to pay mordida. I have been stopped at road blocks, politely answered the questions, then sent on my way. I was in a car with a friend driving when she was rear ended. The transitos were polite, respectful, and professional. The biggest hurdle for me is my lack of good Spanish, but I manage to get by. On one occasion quite a few years ago, we were burgled and called the police. They arrived promptly and were very polite and thorough. I have heard all the horror stories, but have never been subjected to it myself. Of course, today is a new day...

I am glad to hear the more upbeat positive side of this topic.

I think one's opinion is naturally based on personal experience, as well as the experience of people we know. This is just natural.

Guest bennie2

US is a huge place 3x the size of mex. every state is different. every neigborhood is different. the border states are not the NE. i have had one terrible experience. (visiting LA many years ago). they were idxxts. it was like a comedy act about walking across the street (getting a ticket). they were bored. since i dont drive i dont come in contact w/police in general, its a non issue. most here in mex i wouldnt trust. my friends brother joined the force in chapala. he was fired, he's one of the better ones. the state police can be worse. theycan breakdown your door. the PD in my old neighborhood in the US? i would trust w/my life.

And you will find some people on this board are just more naturally negative about Mexico than others, no matter the thread topic.

I've noticed that too,I've also noticed that many of them are from the same state..

Guest bennie2

this place attracts many people from that state. to get back on track: it may not be wise to have the smell of a semi illegal product coming from your window. you are an american, its an opportunity to threaten, extort $ whatever. why take a chance. spencer knows more about this. i wouldnt fool around in mex w/some vague laws.

I've noticed that too,I've also noticed that many of them are from the same state..

Why is that germane to the discussion?

I guarantee you if the cops around here were paying much attention to geezer expats smoking a few joints, half the town would be in the slammer.

Let discretion be the better part of valor. Keep it behind the walls and I doubt you'll find anyone cares.

However, if you get in a car accident shortly after smoking, they do blood tests and the stuff will show up on those tests. And then you have a big problem. Happened to someone we know and it took months and a lot of money to sort it out.

Remember, though, if you are buying it on the street, you are likely supporting the cartels and their killing and corruption. In my book that makes you an accessory to cartel crime.

Should be easy enough to grow your own here, again behind those walls. Cheap too.

Simple drug use and possession of small quantities of illegal drugs has been decriminalized in Mexico. The limit for marijuana possession is five grams. I do not believe that cultivation of pot, in any quantity, is legal or permitted.

That was my understanding as well,suggesting that someone grow their own,like a previous poster on this thread did is probably not advisable.

Federal, state, and municipal laws are not all necessarily in agreement on the issue. Federal law decriminalized small amounts of ganja but did Chapala? how about Joco? jalisco? Take the U.S. as an example ( illegal federally but legal in some states for recreation and medical use in others).

If you can't buy it and you can't grow it, what's the alternative? Receiving it as a gift or stealing it? ^_^

Not using it.

"Can't grow it" would probably come as quite a surprise locally. The key point is keep it small quantity and keep it private. How many people can't grow a couple of small plants in a pot here?

Or you can give money to murderers, your choice.

:)

what ever you do keep a low profile. i never understood why people like it. i get sick from the smell. each to his own.

Sometimes it's not a question of liking it. It's a question of needing a health remedy without causing other harmful physical effects. For some, pharmaceuticals are much more dangerous not only in side effects, but in potential other illness the drugs can cause (I get you can call those side effects as well). If you watch the drug commercials, you can notice all the potential things that can happen, and for some people these are not an acceptable risk.

I've actually learned a lot about this recently from a poster (Jim W) on the other board who is ill with cancer. This another topic and I don't want to deviate any further, but I at least, did want to respond. If we want to discuss this further, we can start another thread.

Drug crimes are federal crimes. If you are caught they will usually arrest you as it is a violation of many municipal laws. Then the municipal judge will decide if they will remand you to the ministerio publico. Many times they will arrest you and test the quality and quantity of the drug if you are caught with it outside your home.

Once the tests come back and the amount is small then, and only then may you apply an exemption under the law, decriminalization is not automatic. The municipal judge can still fine you and it is best to pay him a stiff fine to let it all end there.

If you are caught driving or transporting it then that is a federal crime apart from mere possession and quantity doesnt matter, this is a public interest issue and the federal courts ruled late last year that you being caught transporting a gram doesnt give you any more rights than the traffickers transporting a ton.

If you bring in into Mexico or take it out then it is introduction into the country, again which is separate from possession and once again quantity doesnt matter.

I do not do criminal law but I did spring a foreigner who brought it in from Texas late last year, had the case dismissed (introduction and possession) and then defended the appeal in the federal appellate court as the MP appealed my favorable ruling.

Archived