Chapala.com Webboard

Tofu

ichbinsaege

i am looking for firm or extra firm water packed tofu.

Costco has firm, but you must buy a three pack, and often the expiration date is the following week. Expired tofu is unpleasant.

I am NOT talking about the nasty Silken tofu that comes in the tetra paks that are on the shelf at superlake.

I would really like an extra firm one. I like to cube it and use it in place of chicken in my Kung pao chicken recipe.

Alternately, if anyone has a really good recipe to share, i would be okay with that too.

I don't use tofu much, so I'm curious about your comparison between the Silken and others. Meantime, I have a friend who buys tofu from a woman in the village... I will get the contact info for you.

• 5 weeks later...

Still curious about the dislike for Silken. Certainly they have an extra firm on the shelves... Is it the taste?

The silken, from my experience, is made more for blending it into other things. Even though they have extra firm, it certainly doesn't stay together well, again my opinion. I just really like the flavor of the fresher water packed. Everyone I have met that says they hate tofu have usually tried the silken. It's just a different texture. I don't know how else to describe it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still curious about the dislike for Silken. Certainly they have an extra firm on the shelves... Is it the taste?

For me it is all about the texture. Many people who try tofu don't like the mushiness, which is why I don't like Silken, even if it's the extra firm. I use it for tofu scramble or blended into a sauce, but never as a "meat" substitute; for that I need the extra-firm waterpacked stuff. Walmart? I have looked and not found it, but maybe I need to ask someone? Glad to know about Concha, and I've eaten at Chopstix so might try there next. Thanks.

For me it is all about the texture. Many people who try tofu don't like the mushiness, which is why I don't like Silken, even if it's the extra firm. I use it for tofu scramble or blended into a sauce, but never as a "meat" substitute; for that I need the extra-firm waterpacked stuff. Walmart? I have looked and not found it, but maybe I need to ask someone? Glad to know about Concha, and I've eaten at Chopstix so might try there next. Thanks.

AND one more thing: when I want a really meaty texture, I bake it. Just press out the water, cut into slabs about 1/2 inch thick, put on a baking sheet in a 450 oven for about 20 minutes. Cut to desired size and use it stir-fry, etc. If anyone is interested in my Orange Roasted Tofu with Asaparagus, let me know.

Yes. Her name is Concha and her tofu is the best I have ever had. Her phone number is 376-766-3255. You can increase the firmness of tofu by freezing it for a couple of days and then thawing it very slowly wrapped in towels.

Thanks for this info, and yes, I often put my tofu into the freezer, soon as I bring it home. Beware, if you haven't ever done it, the water content is raised considerably in the thawed state so it should be pressed between towels to remove the wate,r so that there is 'room' now for your marinade. I always either marinate or saute or bake tofu, usually in cube,s before putting it into any recipe. It easily takes on the flavor you add to it. You can make it taste like chicken, or bacon, or bbq.

Archived