Chapala.com Webboard

No business names?

TOB ("The Other Board") refers to insidelakeside.com which has very little snarkiness from the moderators but considerably more snarkiness from certain members. Many of us, including me, are members of both boards. TOB has a particularly snarky section, the Octagon, which is only visible to members. When I find the conversation is getting too offensive, I just avoid that part.

On insidelakeside, TOB means this board.

On this board, one is allowed to pan a restaurant or other business, but not a physician? We're becoming(?) a joke.

Oops. I didn't quite mean what I wrote. Would it have been more correct to suggest that, if the Administrator wants to keep business names anonymous, "Chapala.com" should be removed from this board's header?

The three mods are discussing this situation and deciding what to communicate to the Admin. We were blindsided by this as well.

Spencer's rather thoughtful post shows that this is not a simple situation. This is of particular concern to any business running a board like this IMO. So I understand where they are coming from.

As for TOB, they may find themselves in hot water one of these days as libel and personal attack is common there. Go at you own risk. Maybe it is time for some of us who want more freedom but without the abuse to start our own local board.

If you're interested in this, send me a PM.

Can you clarify, please, what constitutes a personal attack? Does writing about a bad experience at a restaurant, or auto shop, and naming it, constitute a personal attack? Or is a personal attack when it becomes inflammatory?

In the case of a personal attack, which is not allowed, a poster cannot mention names. Good idea.

When there weren't so many options and so many people in the area it was easy to get information about a bad business, doctor, contractor, gardener, maid etc... with the growth that is no longer true and webboards serve as an effective method of communication between citizens.

It is too bad that the real estate office connected to this board believes that the webboard functions best while wearing rose-colored glasses.

Mainecoons: So if we ask recommendations for tire place, plumber, painter, upholstery place, etc. a person can reply with a name and contact information of the recommendation as long as it is positive and not negative?

I'm as much in the dark as you at this point. I assume if you have a negative, the person who wants to know who you're writing about will have to PM you for the name.

I am informed that this is the case, in the event of serious negatives the names of businesses or individuals must be communicated on request via PM. This is the rule set down by Admin.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I think that covers the questions raised here. If you wish to discuss or lobby Admin further on this, you should contact him directly.

Closed.

Archived