Chapala.com Webboard

Magana has changed hours and days open

Xena

I guess most of the snowbirds have returned home?

Can't recall it having affected his business in all the previous years; he's grown and expanded from a dinky little place to his successful spot now. Unless it's truly a sign of how poor the situation is going to be this down-season.

Pappysmarket, I just threw all caution to the winds and went for it. I have always been a bit of a rebel. I was going to post that a well-known cafe in Riberas whose owner is famous for his fish and chips and signs had new days and hours and ask people to PM me for the name of the restaurant but that seemed really dumb as well as taking up a lot of my time answering PMs. I am hoping sanity will prevail here.

CG, the past couple of summers have been rough on many businesses here. I am hoping this is his plan for off-season. He might have figured the times and days his regulars come in and is having a summer schedule. I will be going in there next week. If no one else has reported back before then, I will post my findings.

I assume he needs the rest of the time to make and post more signs ;)

Seriously, I had heard that his business is down by approx 70,000 pesos per month at the start of the year. This figure is one he put out. I guess his business is down significantly.

Pappysmarket, I just threw all caution to the winds and went for it. I have always been a bit of a rebel. I was going to post that a well-known cafe in Riberas whose owner is famous for his fish and chips and signs had new days and hours and ask people to PM me for the name of the restaurant but that seemed really dumb as well as taking up a lot of my time answering PMs. I am hoping sanity will prevail here.

CG, the past couple of summers have been rough on many businesses here. I am hoping this is his plan for off-season. He might have figured the times and days his regulars come in and is having a summer schedule. I will be going in there next week. If no one else has reported back before then, I will post my findings.

Haha, great response!

Geoffrey's menu is so confusing. I believe in keeping it simple. My bridge partner & I went there when we played at a tournament double session at the Bridge Club in Riberas for 2 days. We paged through the menu trying to find something to order. There were so many items that said no substitutions, no sharing etc. It was really confusing! Their prices seemed to have gone up considerably since the last time we were there.

The other restaurant a few doors down-California -was much better- cheaper wine and better food that cost less brought us back there the next day!

maw

I agree with maw. He has priced himself out of his market. When I had to pay 300 pesos for two burgers, two fries, coke and an iced tea including tip, for an OK meal, that was it for me. I can have a full steak dinner for two for 50 pesos more at several places. I do like his signs and his British humor, however.

Jeffery has changed his menu and it is more reasonably priced. Most of the signs are gone. If you have not been there lately go see for yourself.

Jeffery shortened his hours because he pays his employees $50 pesos an hour whether there is 12 or no one in the restaurant. He is working hard to come up with ideas and plans to keep it open. Due to the lack of clients this time of year for most restaurants he is doing what he must. Remember he has a family to support.

Instead of slamming him why don't you give him and his restraurant another chance.

Just do what always has been done in this section.

The big problem here for restaurants IMO is that most of them lack economy of scale. They are just too small to make enough money to sustain themselves.

Tango has a lot of tables compared to most. That, plus consistency and price/service is why they do so well IMO. Lety's is a good example of consistency and enough tables as well. Both of these restaurants also have built up a very good trade with the Tapatio crowd.

That is what it takes to sustain a restaurant here. Or be a Brunos that just has such great food that they keep their fewer tables busy. Plus they own their building. It is really tough to be small and pay rent too.

Had lunch at Cafe Magana today (Saturday) a little after 12 noon and it was pretty much full. I didn't go to "support" the place per se but because i love the fish and chips and i needed books. The selection of books makes it worth paying a little "premium" to me and worth the drive from Joco.

And, for what it's worth, the portions seemed larger to me today and the menu seemed more reasonable in size.

Operating a restaurant is a tough row to hoe and I admire anyone who can tough it out.

Archived