Chapala.com Webboard
jh5127

U.S. Citizen Driving Mexican Vehicle into U.S.?

You would have to show a drivers license that works in the US.  Is my Jalisco or other Mexican state license excepted up north when driving a Mexican plated car? I don't know. But that could be a problem too. I have always had to keep both my WA State and Jalisco drivers licenses active, as I have a residence and car on both sides of the border.

Your Mexican driver's license is just as good in the USA as your USA license is good in Mexico. It is called 'reciprocity'.  I tends to frustrate some cops, who may never have had much experience with foreign plated cars or drivers, since they cannot "run the plates" or check your license. Too bad for them; good for you.  Just be friendly and tell them how much you love being retired in Mexico, and being able to drive up north to see your friends and relatives.

I have a WA State plated car in Seattle and keep a small condo unit there for my visits north of the border (I always fly between MX and the US). It is my understanding that I have to have a WA State license because I maintain a small Seattle Condo unit and own and drive a WA plated car when up north

I also was told that because I have a Mexican home and car and have a Mexican green card called Residente Permanente that I am required to have a Mexican drivers license when driving said car in Mexico.

I "aint" no attorney" and could be wrong, but I have always been told that under these circumstances, I need a drivers license for both countries.

I suppose it would be different if I only had one car that I maintained primarily in one of these two countries. And would only occasionally take it to the other country for short visits.

Pete:  I think you are over licensed, but you sure have all the bases covered at the same time.

The 30 day rule for the USA would apply if you drove your Mexican car to WA.  Either license will do in either place under reciprocity agreements.

There is no need, for those owning multiple homes, to have multiple cars, licenses or wives, for that matter.  Yet, some do.  Most of us just can't afford such a lifestyle.  🌮

• Like 1

Canadians suffer a restriction on not being able to drive a foreign plated car in Canada, under most circumstances.

I suffer similarly, here on the Texas/Mexico border. As we are also RP in Mexico, we cannot drive into Mexico, with Texas plates, to visit our dentist.  That arched bridge gets steeper every year, and walking it is particularly difficult in hot weather. We son't give up our status, just in case......

3 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Canadians suffer a restriction on not being able to drive a foreign plated car in Canada, under most circumstances.

I suffer similarly, here on the Texas/Mexico border. As we are also RP in Mexico, we cannot drive into Mexico, with Texas plates, to visit our dentist.  That arched bridge gets steeper every year, and walking it is particularly difficult in hot weather. We son't give up our status, just in case......

Yeah, I've been pondering that myself. Could we possibly drive in the border zone where no TIP is required using our Texas license and not saying a word about being RP? Is parking easy in NP?

We would need Mexican insurance, which would probably be suddenly invalid in an accident or theft, as we would have to present a passport, which would trigger our true status.  I don't think it is worth the risk.  Parking has always been a problem in Nuevo Progresso, and might even be found further away from our dentist, than the parking lot on the USA side.