Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Cuota Toll Tag

John Shrall

It used to be called IAVE or in some part of the country Capufe. It is now called I+DMexico and it is the electronic toll tag that allows you to use the Telepeaje Exclusivo lane on all cuotas in Mexico. No more carrying a lot of pesos for tolls and no more waiting in lines to pay the efectivo. The telepeaje lane is normally almost empty.

If the company made the process easier there would be a lot of people using it but due to a somewhat obtuse web site and clunky purchase system, it discourages usage.

It does require a credit card although the web site says you can deposit cash into your account via a bank or some merchants. I used a Bancomer credit card set up as post pagado meaning the tolls are charged as you pass through the tollbooth. The signup page lists several bank cards as well as AMEX. Don't know if a US American Express would work.

To sign up pick the type of tag you want - one that is permanently affixed to your window or one that can be removed. The cost is $100 pesos and the card will be delivered by Estafeta a few weeks after completing the form.

The application starts at this page: https://www.idmexico.com.mx/idmexico/inicio/RegistroCorp

You have to fill in all the info including the credit card number, print and sign the form, scan it and email it back to ID+Mexico.

Current toll prices can be found at https://www.idmexico.com.mx/idmexico/contenido/tarifas/2015.pdf

Having a tag can cut a substantial amount of drive time when traveling long distances on cuotas.

If you don't want to use a credit card, you can walk into Bancomer and buy your tag. You can also recharge the peso amounts at the bank as needed. I think I read that if you use this method, you need to be careful about your amounts as they may expire. So, use the site John posted to estimate your toll amounts for the trip.

Good points. The saldo is good for one year according to the web site (El saldo del TAG tiene vigencia de 1 año a partir de la fecha de recarga.)

You can recharge from $100 to $2,000 pesos with a maximum balance of $3,000. There is a fee for recharging at the bank with a web page listing the range of fees.

NOB there is a price reduction if you use a toll tag. Is this the case with the Mexican one or not?

Nope. Go figure.

The only good news is that you can blast through the empty toll tag only lane while the other folks queue up with pesos in hand. You can also reduce the amount of pesos you need to carry to that needed to feed yourself and your car.

If toll tags take off like they did in Texas for example, there will no longer be any people employed to take the tolls throughout Mexico. Can't see that happening.

I've had one for about three years or so. Don't link it to a credit card. Pre-trip just look up what the tolls will be and put that amount in the account at the local Bancomer. Works great, especially if you're driving the cuota when traffic is heavy and the lines at toll booths are long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

What is the url of the website to get current cuota rates, not the Pdf John posted earlier in this thread, but the one that has drop-down menu options to input your route?

thanks

Thanx for the website (again) JS. Helped me reconfirm my pleasure with our current arrangement. Our US address is in Albuquerque, so that's where we keep a car (with friends willing to let us park it on their property). Per the website, tolls would cost just under 3000 pesos to make the round trip to Juárez where we cross to go to ABQ, plus gas, plus wear and tear, plus fatigue, plus a place to stay probably, etc. So we take the bus. 5000 pesos round trip to Juárez. Sleeping arrangements are as comfortable as my easy chair at home, carry what you want to eat and DRINK along with anything you decide to move between the two locations, including the kitchen sink if you should so decide - at a fraction of the cost of driving. Can't beat it.

Mine stopped working back in the spring; first it would selectively work at some tolls, then say "invalida" and still charge the card, despite paying cash, and this last trip it doesn't work at all, despite pulling a printout showing plenty of funds available. Going to go to Bancomer and see if they will switch out for another tag. Something isn't working properly...

I went to Bancomer and they gave me a phone number to call 01-800-759-0065. Now I just have to find someone to help me make the call. I sure hope it didn't charge me when it said invalida because we tried it on all the tolls for 3 days. Lesson learned, never again.

I can't even get into my account anymore to check the balance.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Bancomer and they gave me a phone number to call 01-800-759-0065. Now I just have to find someone to help me make the call. I sure hope it didn't charge me when it said invalida because we tried it on all the tolls for 3 days. Lesson learned, never again.

I can't even get into my account anymore to check the balance.

Julie, I too had problems over and over again and last weekI called the phone number on the card with the tag and spoke with a woman who said that the "inválida" status sometimes occurs when a vehicle follows too closely into the line of sight of the scanner and interferes with the reading at the tollbooth. She said it would be 24 hours to get my tag back online but she did, and it worked consistently this weekend from Laredo. Another note: the scanners are positioned here, there and everywhere: there is no true consistency. Most are above the entry roof to the tollbooth, some are on a pole before, and yet others are tilted. No wonder many of them malfunction. One tollbooth (I think near Lagos) is cash only: the attendant says they do not accept the toll tag. When you call, you need your online user ID and scanner number so they can get into your account. Hope this helps.

In any case it says invalida and they did charge the toll to your tag, keep and save the toll ticket you get when you pay in cash. You will need it so they will return you the money.

In the almost 10 years i have the tag now it happened me twice the invalida showed up and i had to pay in cash meanwhile they did charge my creditcard. After calling them i had to send them an email with a photo of the toll ticket and within less then a week i got my money back.

Archived