Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for input and any comments that are based on solid

information and knowledge.

We've been here six months and living near the lake in San Antonio. We have been very happy with our choice for our first house to get acclimated. It is secure, comfortable and convenient. That being said we knew we'd want something larger because we have furniture and some other items we want to bring down, as well as have more room for guests and entertaining.

We have a great opportunity to rent a house longterm in Brisas de Chapala. It has just about everything we were hoping to find when we moved down.

My question is does anyone have knowledge of the security situation in Brisas. We know a family from there was killed a few years ago, but not at Brisas. They do now have a gate with a 24 hr security guard. I can also do a couple things that will help make the house more secure such as an alarm system and raise a section of the garden wall/fence.

Any informed replies are welcome.

Brisas de Chapala is a wonderful place to live. It is very peaceful and quiet, sometimes you hear the truck brakes coming down the hill, but that is only during the day. There are more birds and butterflies because of all the mature trees and gardens all around. Right now there are soft lovely breezes - brisas- which are more frequent than anything in San Antonio, Chapala and Ajijic. It is a gardener's paradise as well.

As far as security, as you meet your neighbors, you will discover that everybody keeps an eye out for each other. If this is a longer term move, change the locks to the triple bolt, pick resistant type, and renew all your padlocks. Your landlord should have a copy of the keys, and should be willing to share the cost if you agree to leave the locks. This way you know everybody who has a key and it sends a message to potential burglars that you take your security seriously. This is entirely a personal choice, but never let any workers, gardeners or cleaning people have a copy of the keys or leave them alone in the house. Always carry a set of keys in case you have to leave the house quickly.

That's the basics. The rest will have be done upon going over the property. If you want, there is a retired policeman over in Chapala Haciendas 1, who I can vouch for, who used to offer house security audits. PM me for his name and number. There is also a neighborhood watch group for Haciendas on yahoo.groups

Thanks I appreciate your reply. We love the neighborhood, but our landlady who is Mexican had some reservations...nothing to do with us moving out.

The owner is actually a retired police detective.

I have heard good things from a couple folks, but always try to learn all I can.

It is really a choice between being totally car-dependent for every little thing, or living where the lake, restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. We chose central Ajijic for three years and Chapala Centro for ten years more, for all of those reasons and for the sociability of the town square, mercado and meeting folks on the street.

We lived in Brisias when we first arrived. There were some serious electrical issues but I understand they have been improved. It is really city mouse vs. country mouse. We moved here from an off-grid house in the Colorado mountains, and much prefer country living. Yes it would be nice to walk to stores, but we value nature and tranquility too much to live in the Village. It is a good thing there are options.

We have two cars and Sorriano is five minutes away. I made it to my massage at Total Body from the front door of the rental in 16 minutes Wed. afternoon. Not exactly a trek if you lived in Atlanta for many years.

We treasure the rural setting and peace and quiet.

I've heard from several folks that the neighbors are watchful.

Thanks

As far as activities, there are plenty of distractions up here. Much more than the expected neighborhood gossip ( :o ) there are a lot of get togethers/potlucks and groups playing games such as Bunco (fast moving dice game with 12 people), Mexican Train (dominoes), Chicken Foot (dominoes), Bridge, Texas Holdem, all sorts of activities, many of which you would never imagined getting involved with when you were younger. If there is a small amount of cash involved it is usually pigeonholed for local charities - I don't want to give the impression that it is Las Vegas South! The houses are so much bigger that many have hobby rooms, home theaters, art studios, pool tables and the like. People up here, and possibly all over Chapala/Ajijic, tend to avoid driving into town after dark for fear of drunk drivers and animals on the highway. If you want a real night in the city, as you know, Guadalajara is an easy bus ride away, and you can spend a couple of nights shopping, theaters, world class restaurants, beautiful historic hotels and many other marvels.

Thanks folks I appreciate the response. It looks like paradise to me ( as close as one gets). It is two lots joined with a 20 year old mature garden, pool/waterfall, fountains etc. Satellite paid for two years, maid, gardener, pool man included.

The libramento is bad enough in daylight, so we won't be out late much, but it is five minutes to Chapala.

Thanks folks I appreciate the response. It looks like paradise to me ( as close as one gets). It is two lots joined with a 20 year old mature garden, pool/waterfall, fountains etc. Satellite paid for two years, maid, gardener, pool man included.

The libramento is bad enough in daylight, so we won't be out late much, but it is five minutes to Chapala.

If the landlord is who I believe she is (she is elderly, from Toronto and owns 3 homes in Brisas) then you will be treated well. Again, if same lady, I know she has held mortgages in the past with appropriate down payment.

When we lived at lakeside, Brisas was always our first choice.

I am sure you will love living there.

Sonia

A little country atmosphere, peace and quite. Hear the birds all day and seeing the hummingbirds at your flowers or dancing in midair above the swimming pool or a walk past your neighbors house to sit at lakes edge. Not for everyone, but for the few of us it is OUR paradise. Especially if you like to do a little gardening as thing grow here like you would not believe. Caution a broom left outside will have a few broomies popping up in no time. lol There is one other place similar to Brisas you might want to check out what a neighbor and others are calling The Best Keep Secret at Lakeside. Los Galapagos. About the same distance to Chapala, but near the Country Club and Vista Del Lago. Galapagos has experienced a real renewal after all the properties received notice that their deeds were in fact valid two years ago. All homes that were for sale have been sold but one and now several lots are available. 24/7 security and 3 min walk to the lake. Check it out for a comparison.

And why would it? The distance between them are two good golf drives. lol

That was not my point hammer. All the dealings of Los Galapagos residents have to be done in Ocotlan. Paying taxes , ...etc. .All administration issues will have to go to Poncitlan,.... when Vista del Lago residents ...." two good golf drives away lol" have an easy drive to Chapala. Of course if one rents and do not have to deal with "city hall" in any way, might not have an issue. That was my point. You will not see many NOBies buying in that paradise for that very reason unless they are fluent in Spanish, do not mind to drive long distances on secondary Mexican highways or have a good lawyer who will do all that for them (for price).

Sorry OP for not sticking to your subject.

Just to keep the wrong info from being circulated for those who NEED to know and Islander or others interested Only dealings of for mentioned are taxes once a year in Poncitlan, city of, not Ocotlan and drivers licences can be obtained anywhere in the state of Jalisco as most of us are now doing in Guad. because the Chapala office is not open at this time. The last 3 of 4 sales or 4 of 6 were NOB people none were fluent in Spanish and why should that be anymore important then in Brisas or Chapala etc. What's with that? Correction from last post. There are 2 homes for sale. Over 50% of full time residents are Gringos.

Is there an issue with land titles like in Tlachichilco few miles down the road? We were interested in the area (many moons ago) and wonder if that is still the case. I believe it was not ejido land just some kind of communal property. I do not want to spread false rumors.... just want to know the status today if anybody knows. Thanks.

No issue with the titles. Really never was one. Properties got a clean bill of health legally as all expected about 3 years ago or so. That's why all the rehab, remodeling, new house construction and sales the last couple of years.

It is really a choice between being totally car-dependent for every little thing, or living where the lake, restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. We chose central Ajijic for three years and Chapala Centro for ten years more, for all of those reasons and for the sociability of the town square, mercado and meeting folks on the street.

We in Brisas are greatly dependent on our car, however, we are NOT totally car-dependent as you state. The bus comes by the main entrance very often. You will need to walk up to the highway and schedule plenty of time when using the bus.

Archived