Chapala.com Webboard

Stress Test

Semalu

I can't believe anyone is already trying to "blame the victim" of this horror story.

The way I heard it, she was across the street. Why does anyone have to fear walking down the street? Why were the dogs loose?

Blame the person responsible instead of making excuses for the untrained and loose dogs.

A ridiculous interpretation of my question. It is good for any person walking where dogs might be to understand how they interpret things. The rest of your comments make sense.

A dog jumped off a roof and attacked an elderly man??? That is absolutely horrifying. An aerial pit bull attack is one of the most horrifying dog attack scenarios I can think of. Its one of my great fears when I walk past those roof pitties that are in a rage bark mindset. For the victim here, I am so terrible sorry, and a back injury is no joke. I'd not worry about those "poor cute labs" and put them down. What if they attack a child next? I've been attacked by two Rhodesian ridgebacks whose owner simply let's them roam around the lake. Those dogs nearly killed my neighbor's adorable brown lab puppy, and my neighbor,mand the only reason they both lived is because he's a huge strong guy able to fight him off. I'm a tiny female and my twelve year old dog would have no chance.

And yes, asking a victim if he or she had fear is blaming the victim. If certain dogs will attack a person who may fear dogs, that dog isn't safe for ever being off leash.

Get those dogs put down. You might be saving an innocent life from a horrible dog attack or even death in the future.

Get well soon.

R2D2, was the owner of that dog a very tall, slim American man with dark hair? if its the person I am thnking of, he carries a taser, a very long hunting knife, and does not appear to be mentally stable. He told me he likes to whip out his taser and intimidate people when people complain about his dog (full grown, rambunctious choco lab.). He's also told me, with pride, how he tased a dog that was off leash and approaching his dog (which I can sort of understand since his dog was violently attacked once, but maybe not the best approach). I'm not trying to publicly burn anyone here, but I would steer clear of this man if it's who I am thinking of.

Speaking of chipping, is that a common thing in Mexico? Is it done at a vets office? And do shelters and most vet offices have the ability to check for chips on incoming dogs? My dog has a chip from my time in the US, but had no idea it was available here.

Tycobb, I bought a very small vial of pepper spray at Superlake. It's sold in that plastic case near the man who sits in the desk by the entrance. Has a pic of a mean looking, large fanged cobra on it. Have no idea how well it works, but it may be one option.

A dog jumped off a roof and attacked an elderly man??? That is absolutely horrifying. An aerial pit bull attack is one of the most horrifying dog attack scenarios I can think of. Its one of my great fears when I walk past those roof pitties that are in a rage bark mindset.

It happened across the street from us.

The owner is a true pendeja in every sense of the word,the neighbors are fed up,that vicious dog's days are numbered.

Here's a message to all the dog owners who allow their pets to run loose,attack people,crap on other peoples property and bark incessantly.

You all need to change your attitudes and start having a little respect for your neighbors.

Speaking of attitudes:

When they first built that fine Ajijic Malecon, it was a peaceful pleasure to walk there. As time went on, it became very popular with people walking their dogs. Many of those people felt "entitled" since they carried a leash attached to their hand, but not to their dog or dogs.

Sometimes, those dogs behaved badly but the owners continued to leave them loose. Sometimes they threatened people or got in kerfuffles with other dogs or with loose street dogs. Sometimes, they harassed people. There is no particular reason why the horrible OP's story hasn't also happened on the malecon......yet.

Like many others here, I'm not as strong or as fast on my feet as I used to be. I can't fight off a large animal and would go down easily. Why should I need to worry about that on a walking path designed for everyone to enjoy. It's also the only place in town with a flat walkway favorable to "fallen women" (and men). What's fair to the most people?

There is a "free spirit" dog park near La Floresta. That's where dogs can exercise to their hearts' content. Why isn't it used, instead of a public park?

What I would like to know is what excuse these dog owners can make for taking their dogs to the Malecon and letting them run loose?

There are animal protection laws, but there is also a leash law. I am in favor of seeing both enforced.

"And yes, asking a victim if he or she had fear is blaming the victim. If certain dogs will attack a person who may fear dogs, that dog isn't safe for ever being off leash."

Sentence #1 is a leap. I merely offered a possible explanation, not an excuse, for the behavior reported. There was never any associated blame except in your minds.

"And yes, asking a victim if he or she had fear is blaming the victim. If certain dogs will attack a person who may fear dogs, that dog isn't safe for ever being off leash."

Sentence #1 is a leap. I merely offered a possible explanation, not an excuse, for the behavior reported. There was never any associated blame except in your minds.

Let's just say the intent of your statement was not understood, okay?

I say that no dogs should be running loose: then there would be no problem for those who fear them, understand them or not. Peace in the valley.

Meanwhile, if fines were being enforced, there would initially be more money in the local public coffers, and after word got around, there would be fewer unleashed as well as loose dogs. A win win, IMO.

Cbviajero, I love dogs, but not enraged roof dogs that attack seniors minding their own business. That dog needs to go down. It could kill anyone at any point.

I avoid roof dogs who are in a rage bark because they are utterly unpredictable. And pretending to not be scared will nevere, ever prevent a dog who wants to attack from attacking. You cannot hide terror.

Oso, I suppose we just disagree on this. The fear of a victim is irrelevant, as if a dog will attack a fearful person minding his own business, that dog is dangerous and need a leash and supervision. I still have scars from a neighbor's dog who ripped into my knee while I was trying to protect my dog, and I didn't have any fear for my safety (at least not before it sunk it's teeth into me.)

I would point out that there is a behavior difference between well trained dogs off-leash walking WITH their people and dogs unsupervised outside their property. Husband was attached by a neighbor's unsupervised pit bull, badly bitten and still has trouble with his hand. Dogs loose in a neighborhood can easily form a pack and become very dangerous as OP unfortunately learned. SOmeone had suggested a cattle prod or something similar on another thread. Just an FYI, I was helping break up a dog fight and pepper spray didn't help at all. So, can we legally carry a taser or cattle prod and if so, where can we get them?

And Free Spirit is only really open in the morning as two large aggressive, untrained dogs take over the park in the afternoon.

Once a dog has turned on his ‘wild wolf‘ and is running on pure adrenalin fired rage, only death will stop it. You must eliminate the threat before that happens.

With so many incidents , maybe It is time for the Ayuntamiento to create some sort of "ASPCA Law Enforcement" Department .

Unfortunately I just saw on Canal 8 TV an interview with the police chief and he said that our police department is working with ony 40% of personnel and he didn't want to disclose how many vehicles were operating.

Maybe off topic, but where is this "Free Spirit" park?

is it the one in San Antonio, near La Floresta?

Anyone know how much do they charge to bring my dogs?

Thanks

Oso, I suppose we just disagree on this. The fear of a victim is irrelevant, as if a dog will attack a fearful person minding his own business, that dog is dangerous and need a leash and supervision. I still have scars from a neighbor's dog who ripped into my knee while I was trying to protect my dog, and I didn't have any fear for my safety (at least not before it sunk it's teeth into me.)

Please clarify on what I said that we are disagreeing on.

Tasers for sale 500 pesos usually at the Monday Market. The sound is reported to scare dogs off. Walking stick with a sharp end would be a helpful solution. The dog park cost 40 pesos per dog, per hour. This may be out of date info by now. I don't find it a viable solution to needed daily walks.

The park does not charge by the hour.

• Memberships / $400 pesos per month
  • Daily Rates / Minimum 5 sessions for $200 pesos
  • Memberships for your dogs are available by contacting Pat Lawrie

• With a membership, your dogs are able to visit the park between the hours of
    8 am and 11:30 am.

Please contact Pat Lawrie to Begin Your Membership ( English / Spanish )
Phone: 376 766 4170
Cell: 333 442 6244

The best thing would be a custom made catchpole, which would be used like, and look like a walking stick. One end would weighted, to use as a club. Cover that end with metal or plastic so it can stand up to hitting the ground. The Longstaff was an extremely viable weapon in older times, just ask Friar Tuck!

Archived