Chapala.com Webboard

Global Entry Program

I travel back to or through the US at least 4 times a year and I've seen the folks whizzing through immigration at these special kiosks. I almost missed a connection once in Dallas due to a mob in the immigration lines and not enough agents working one Sat. am. My question is: does anyone have experience applying for this program as I want to know what the time lag is between the acceptance of your online application and your invitation to the in person interview plus wait time for that appt? I'd like to apply now for a trip in 4 weeks but fear I might be too close to be able to do the interview part in Phoenix before I come back this time. Thanks for any input.

My husband and I both have it. We applied online, gave a credit card for the $100 fee. About 3 days later we got our conditional approval with a special login number. We were then able to use the Global Entry website to make an appointment for a 10 minute interview where they take fingerprints, ask a few questions and show you how to use the kiosk machine. You can make the appointment anywhere in the US that has an immigration office. Airport or city. I believe you have 90 days to go to an appointment. 4 weeks should be plenty of time. Also, sometimes it can be a bit difficult to find an open appointment, but don't give up. New appointments open up. They add more agents and people change appointments all the time. Best thing we did was getting Global Entry for traveling. $100 for 5 years is cheap for the convenience as it also gives you TSA Pre Check.

They told me, as a resident of Mexico, its not available. If you have a US address I suspect is the key?

You need an additional piece of documentation like a US drivers license and I'm sure they expect you to have a "residence" in the US other than a private mail box at MailBoxes Etc. in Laredo...just like the credit card companies do. Fortunately I do still have a house in Phoenix for this purpose.

My wife and I have Global Entry/Nexus after a 1 1/2 hour wait in line at DWF 3 years ago. It's the best thing we ever did. It even expedites our driving across borders and not having to take shoes, belts etc. off is an added bonus.

A Google search shows:

"Eligibility for Global Entry

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, citizens of Germany, the Netherlands, Panama, and South Korea, and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program."

My wife and I applied for Global Entry/Nexus after a 1 1/2 hour wait in line at DFW 3 years ago. It's the best thing we ever did. It even expedites our driving across borders and not having to take shoes, belts etc. off is an added bonus.

http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/about/eligibility

I think the time required depends on the enrolment centre that you go to. In the Toronto area it takes several months... in other not so busy places, it well be considerably faster.

we signed on as US citizens as mexico residents with a mexico drivers license

mexico address

its a great program

my platinum american express paid the $!00 fee for one person

we set a appointment online after filing application the appointment about three hours before we were to catch a fight back to mexico in Miami.

we were going to try Dallas but we were flying through on a sunday, they were closed.

this was two years ago.

We went for our final interview in ATL on our way down here a couple of weeks ago and the whole process was breeze. Initial approval one day after online applications and final approval by the time we reached the Sky Club after the 5 minute in person interviiew. As was the case with a previous poster, $100 free covered as a Platinum AMEX benefit.

HOWEVER, last week TSA announced that the frequency with which travelers are granted PreCheck approval based on the information contained in their frequent flyer profiles will be greatly reduced and encouraged travelers to enroll in one of the TSA sponsered Known Traveler programs such as Global Entry. This may result in a return to the long processing times that existed prior to TSA's to widly grand PreCheck status a year or so ago. If you are going to do it, do it now.

Just my thoughts.

We renewed our NEXUS cards online (which gives us Global Entry). We had to pay for another 5 years but no new photos and no interview. They sent new cards but we were in the computer to show we had renewed.

Btw, if you get a new passport at any time, don't forget to go to the GOES website and fill in the updated information. If not you will get stopped even though your Global Entry is current.

I renewed in December 2014 in Dallas and yes, I did have to go in for another (2-minute) interview, perhaps because I have a green card. I renewed my spouse's and son's the following month and in 48 hours we received notifications via email that their renewals were complete. (one is a US citizen and one is dual.) Several weeks later we all got Global Entry cards which, curiously, the TSA agent told me in my interview, aren't ever used nor are the stickers renewed: to continue to use my green card/family members' passports as previously.

The link also says there really is not a "renewal": you do the whole shebang again, but the online application retained previous information which just needed to be updated. Same cost as original: $100 US.

Archived