Chapala.com Webboard

An Amparo With Major Implications

Sonia

I thought this was a very interesting article that she posted. I am interested in educational reform throughout Mexico. Here at Lake Chapala, schools are reasonably good, not perfect but not awful. But I have heard there is much corruption nationwide. NOT that I can do anything about this, but I applaud all efforts to shine some sunlight on the situation.

Also, if I am reading and interpreting the last paragraph of the article correctly this may be a step toward prosecuting the Federal employees and individuals who committed fraud regarding the receipt of monies from people seeking to nationalize their cars? as it encompasses all fraud not just that of educators?

Also, if I am reading and interpreting the last paragraph of the article correctly this may be a step toward prosecuting the Federal employees and individuals who committed fraud regarding the receipt of monies from people seeking to nationalize their cars? as it encompasses all fraud not just that of educators?

Not fraud as you describe it as this agency only tracks federal money alloted to the states and municpalities and sends their findings to the justice dept. The article linked below is inaccurate. If they have evidence and the state or municiplity is responsible then the justice dept. has a case. If not then they have no case. [this in not completely true however]

The thing about the article that is wrong or left out and is not accurate as there are federal offices in every state where federal money is controlled by federal empolyees and every bit of federal money is earmaked to a payment that the federal controllers authorize [from Mexico City] and the administration and the administrators in the local federal offices for each of the different "Secretarias" in each state is responsible for seeing these payments get used as the money is certified in Mexico City before it is transfered to the accounts for payment. It is very easy to check at the federal level and match up payments and bank deposits.

If reallocation of a certified payment happens the paper trail should be easy to follow as to where the money ended up but needs the state controllers administration documents to follow the trail. If the problem has been in the past that in some states and municipalities there was no cooperation from some state and municipal controllers then this federal dept. the Federal Auditor’s Office (ASF) with documents proving payments were not made to the certified payees can ask the justice dept. to indict the responsible heads of these offices along with the heads of the state federal offices and demand they prove with their documents where the money ended up and continue to investigate what happened to the reallocated funds.

This is the news.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/analysis-finds-billions-irregular-spending/

Past: Mexicanos Primero had no “legitimate interest” in these cases of fraud, since they did not directly affect the organization. In other words when they found fraud they would not prosecute.

Ruling: ASF is responsible for “auditing the three branches of governmental power, constitutionally autonomous federal organizations and, in general, all public institutions that receive federal funds including states, municipalities, and even private persons.” Budgetary fraud of federal funds detected by ASF must now be prosecuted when detected. The Auditor must now indict.

Now tie $23 Billion US in with: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/analysis-finds-billions-irregular-spending/

This affects every aspect of government and includes municipalities receiving Federal funds when the funds have been "misdirected" be in Chapala, San Miguel companies such as PEMEX, CFE. Billions of pesos have been paid on non-existing teachers and yet little done. Union leaders in PEMEX, CFE , etc and their families have large numbers of people who never go to work.

The other most interesting part in this is the "teeth" that the auditor has been given / charged with to indict.

In both countries NOB, this is not part of the gov't auditor's function, though many often wish it would be / should be, given what they typically uncover in their audits and investigations.

Archived