Chapala.com Webboard

Thanks to a kind friend's PM, I have learned that the quote was from none of the three sources I named but another post in this thread.

I was confused by the placement of the quote.

I have lived here for 15 yers and am a Mexican citizen. When I came this area was very rural outside the villages and even the villages were less populated. There was little traffic, few stores, some restaurants and LLT and the auditorio.

You knew almost everyone and mostly made your own fun.

In those 15 years the population has swelled, both Mexican and foreign. Roads are crowded, water levels are dropping and even though CFE has expanded service it still is not very reliable.

At what point is an area overbuilt? From Ajijic to Chapala we are, in my humble opinion, reaching critical mass.

There are two other projects proposed at the present time. The proposed hospital is needed. The luxury hotel that is proposed is within a reasonable size and will create jobs and will help the economy.

Lake City, will destroy the area and make it unliveable.

People had strong reactions to the sales pitch that was looking for both investors and people willing to put up money for pre-construction.of future apartments. I think the presenters were the rude participants. They insulted our intelligence by not having answers to important questions that spoke to serious concerns about the infrastructure and how they would ameliorate the incredible overload of what exists now in an already crowded corridor and one that has already lost many homes and offices to very unstable land in the area.

Their answers to these questions when they responded was they would be taken care of "eventually". Forgetting the huge amount of habitations they envision, picture a convention hosting 5000 people emptying out at the same time time. That alone is enough to defy rational thought.

I can write much more but I cannot believe this project will really come to fruition.

• Like 1

I would strongly suggest to the local government who is involved in this venture as well as the principals that they get a good translator and pay very close attention to the blowback this issue is generating from the foreign community - if they don't want to lose a heck of a lot of money. After all, this project was ostensibly developed for "us" - we were the ones notified of the very first presentation...so, they need to listen to the quite articulate and informed feedback they are getting.

IN the USA, Urban Development is a now seasoned field of expertise born of hard experience over the last several decades since the 1950s. It is an area in which the US is far ahead of Mexico, if I may politely say that. We've already Been There And Done That! That's why so many of us are quite easily able to see the disastrous aspects to this project.

The construction alone would be a disaster for the area. Imagine all those workers trying to get to their jobs on the little narrow 2-lane street! Imagine all the dust, dirt, and noise the neighbors would have to put up with for 3 years! Imagine the excavated land after the first strong unseasonable rain!...

Another friend and I were chatting about this issue today. She was at the meeting and told me that the woman presenter actually said at one point, "We know what's best for you." Huh??? From all accounts, it sounds like the PR people expected a group of doddering and senile old folks with money to pick like low hanging fruit - who would be wowed by this gargantuan proposal. But, it turns out we are a lot more savvy than they expected.

Hopefully Dale Palfrey will have some updates for us when work resumes next week. Maybe someone could provide the missing pages to the documents she was given. Those missing pages speak volumes... Is that not a sign of bad faith or fraud?

And the plot should thicken when the news hits the Mexican community! Already today, there was a political rally on my street...

It was not a "meeting". It was a sales presentation.

I object to the proposed project as much as anyone. It is absolutely ridiculous as it's "envisioned". Like many here, I'm making sure all of my Mexican friends know about it - and many hadn't heard - since they need to be aware of what's what. For me, I take comfort in the idea that the project, as it's proposed, is so absurd and ridiculous that it will never happen in a bazillion Mexican years.

Still, it seems unfair to ridicule a reporter for simply reporting what happened at a public presentation. She was just doing her job. And there will undoubtedly be more to the story…….unless the whole shebang just evaporates, which at this stage seems entirely likely to me. :lol:

I'm not ridiculing anyone. I am expressing my opinion that a less than stellar job has been done by the press here. As you say, it is their job.

What we needed was some hard nosed questioning of this and the people responsible, particularly these government people. What we got was a lot of complaining about the people being blindsided by this thing, deceived by the government and talked down to by the presenters who basically presented little more than smoke and mirrors and baloney.

FYI Dale is a he.

If you are going to pontificate try to get your facts right.

FYI Dale is a he.

You better check that one yourself . :D

Dale has accumulated considerable experience and knowledge about Mexico, its language and culture from 25 years residence in the Lake Chapala area.

After several harrowing years of daily commutes between her home in idyllic Ajijic and bustling Guadalajara, where she worked in international relations and promotions for the University of Guadalajara, she has recently returned to freelance work (writing, editing, research, translation, public relations) which keeps her more relaxed and closer to home.

http://www.mexconnect.com/authors/162-dale-hoyt-palfrey

FYI Dale is a he.

Personal attacks are are not allowed. You are also incorrect in your claim and thus have contributed nothing to the conversation.

You have been warned.

• Like 1

Odd, I went to a lecture given by Dale and I was surprised that he was male. It certainly wasn't a personal attack-I don't know where you get that from.

Dale would be very surprised to hear that she is a male. So would her husband and everyone who knows them.

I promise you, Cedros, Dale Hoyt Palfrey is a female who is happily married and has two grown children. I've known her since I started writing Tech Talk for the Guadalajara Reporter in about 2001.

I just got the Reporter this morning and read her front page story on this "high-rise senior city". I showed the article to several folks at breakfast at a local restaurant who went to the presentation. They told me that they were surprised or shocked at the many angry outbursts made by some of the English speaking senior citizens who were obviously very much against this project.

golden bead . . . you are correct, I stand corrected. I should have said "year 2035" rather than "35 years" (I was focused on last years report).

"The OASI Trust Fund, when considered separately, has a projected reserve depletion date of 2034, one year earlier than in last year’s report."

When I told my housekeeper of this "Lake City" plan, she just shook her head and said, "Won't happen".

Dale would be very surprised to hear that she is a male. So would her husband and everyone who knows them.

I sure got my wires crossed several years ago. I'm not quite sure how but it happened but it doesn't matter as now I know-Wayne and Dale.

Now I have had a chance to read the article (from Dale, wife of Wayne). I saw only one instance of editorializing about the crowd's behaviour, when she used the word "boorish". Perhaps that was not the best choice, but it did not define the article. I personally would jeer if I was presented with these unsubstantiated claims from the presenters.

Now, to carry this to its logical conclusion: the crowd knew ahead of time, and so yes, were all too ready to be negative... as is their right when presented with atrocious, far-fetched, and unsupported claims, as Dale pointed out when she quoted 'these issues have been "taken care of" ', and 'appropriate solutions will "eventually" be found'. BUT the only way you are going to get "hard-hitting questions" as an investigative reporter is when you've had time to prepare for something like this. And of course she did not, because a: where would she get these details before the fact, and b: that's not her job: the suggestion that it is her job means a pre-decision on her behalf, with no facts to support one argument or another.

Just received this in my email:

The permits don't appear readable on my screen.

Oldy, please watch the first, you keep equating this huge project with small stuff. This is a character changing proposal for this area. And yes, I believe everyone here has the right and duty to speak up about things like this. I just can't imagine the people of Chapala wanting to be eclipsed by this monstrosity.

Why should ousiders have more rights to determine the character of a community than the people who live there?

These videos seem to have been produced from a brochure. Is there any way to see them in a PDF type format?

Boy, seeing this thread and reading Dales report...and I sure wish I had been at that meeting. I once stayed at the DF Airport Marriott Courtyard shortly after Nieto annouced his plans for a big new airport. I asked at check in what would happen to them and their investment in the old airport since the hotel was fairly new (2 years about). They laughed and said "don't worry. It won't happen. This is just the usual money making scheme for the politicos".

Pity to see so much cynicism from such young people in such a beautiful country. Lord knows Mexico City could use a new airport, and Chapala could use a major employer...just legitimate ones built and financed with transparency and in support of their local communities.

As my Mexican meighbor said, "El Dorado on the libramiento was built to attract expats, and they still didn't fill it up, so there are probably more Mexicans who own there now." True?

El Dorado is an incomplete eyesore after how many years? Its' occupancy seems very low?

• Like 1

I don`t think there is much to be had in ElDorado for less than $300,000. The condos may be smaller, but I think the Lake city price range of $150,000- $200,000 will appeal to a much broader audience.

There was a lot of consternation and upheaval when Eldorado was built. I`m sure the same thing happened in PV and Cancun when the big towers first went up. But they did anyway.

I did notice on the videos that the plans were showing a new road going north, presumably to the libramiento, so the traffic may not be so horrible.

Still, I don`t see how they can fill a place like this unless they do a lot of marketing NOB and overseas.

I think it will happen, but not as fast as they think, and they will probably have to downscale it somehow.

Pete

My first thought was how in the world is the infrastructure going to support this project? When I lived in the area we consistently had problems with internet, electricity brown outs/outages, water problems. The first time they turn on the lights the whole area will go dark. I don't see this as ever being built, but you never know......after all, he who has the most money almost always wins with the Mexican government.

after all, he who has the most money almost always wins with the Mexican government.

And the same can be said about most governments,including the US government.

• Like 1

I spoke with my Mexican Realtor to day and mentioned the project and how surprised "everyone" was.

He was surprised that we should be surprised, as the project has been on the books for 4-5years.

The Monte Carlo, and surrounding property is owned by Guadalajara University and they wish to sell.

• Like 1

I spoke with my Mexican Realtor to day and mentioned the project and how surprised "everyone" was.

He was surprised that we should be surprised, as the project has been on the books for 4-5years.

The Monte Carlo, and surrounding property is owned by Guadalajara University and they wish to sell.

And the feasibility study for the project was done by... Guad. University. Beautiful! Absolutely no conflict of interest here! Nosiree!

• Like 1

I agree that the description of the concept project seems totally out of character with the surrounding area..but maybe if quarter? the size, it could be feasible

For my buck I would prefer to see a automotive plant, some place out on the East side, which could provide more skilled and better paying jobs

the Monte Carlo is on the opposite side of the road...so does your realtor friend mean to say, that the land across the street on the hilly side also belongs to the Guad. Univ.?