Chapala.com Webboard

Lake City

HarryB

Well, she just contradicted everything she first wrote! Sounds like this Grupo Naimar outfit is a total scam...or worse...but most of us could already could see that...

After this little drama that brought an unflattering light to so many very important local issues, "cooler heads" might conclude that major outside development here is just not such a good idea.

EDITORIAL - COOLER HEADS

Breaking the story about the LakeCity project has certainly had wide ramifications. The Lake Chapala Reporter has been vilified, I have personally been vilified, the developers, the project, the government—everyone is being trashed.

To be clear, first of all, I am personally as concerned about the implications of such a development in our community as most people are. As a journalist, however, I need to stay neutral in my reporting, which some people, not understanding the role of journalism in a community, equate with being a shill for big business. Most people by now know that the Lake Chapala Reporter is a better source of real estate news than other publications are.

When the Municipality of Chapala approved the first steps of this project (and it’s a long approval process, with signatures required at every step), they undoubtedly realized what infrastructure they (not the developers) would need to provide, including widening the access streets. That’s what licensing fees are supposed to pay for. Attacking the developers because the streets need to be widened is misplaced. Calling the developers scammers because the project is unpopular with some people here is also misplaced. Like most international financiers, they’ve probably had hits and misses. Placing them under a microscope personally and professionally is unrealistic and futile.

The fact is that they have looked at studies of what FUTURE retirees here will want. It’s that simple. And if the project fails, some other project like it will come along and succeed. It’s inevitable. This is a prime location and demographic.

Let’s focus on the municipality, and keep our emotions out of this. I have sources who are going to check the licenses this coming week. Then we’ll know whether this is being handled legally. As always, I’ll keep you posted on facts, not emotions and speculation.

People who want to take action should get together and consider what action will be most effective. Vitriolic emails to journalists, and speculative, sarcastic ranting on webboards are just not helpful. Let’s take this one step at a time, and be smart about it. Cooler heads will prevail.

Lisa L. Jorgensen
Publisher and Editor

EDITORIAL - COOLER HEADS

Breaking the story about the LakeCity project has certainly had wide ramifications. The Lake Chapala Reporter has been vilified, I have personally been vilified, the developers, the project, the government—everyone is being trashed.

To be clear, first of all, I am personally as concerned about the implications of such a development in our community as most people are. As a journalist, however, I need to stay neutral in my reporting, which some people, not understanding the role of journalism in a community, equate with being a shill for big business. Most people by now know that the Lake Chapala Reporter is a better source of real estate news than other publications are.

When the Municipality of Chapala approved the first steps of this project (and it’s a long approval process, with signatures required at every step), they undoubtedly realized what infrastructure they (not the developers) would need to provide, including widening the access streets. That’s what licensing fees are supposed to pay for. Attacking the developers because the streets need to be widened is misplaced. Calling the developers scammers because the project is unpopular with some people here is also misplaced. Like most international financiers, they’ve probably had hits and misses. Placing them under a microscope personally and professionally is unrealistic and futile.

The fact is that they have looked at studies of what FUTURE retirees here will want. It’s that simple. And if the project fails, some other project like it will come along and succeed. It’s inevitable. This is a prime location and demographic.

Let’s focus on the municipality, and keep our emotions out of this. I have sources who are going to check the licenses this coming week. Then we’ll know whether this is being handled legally. As always, I’ll keep you posted on facts, not emotions and speculation.

People who want to take action should get together and consider what action will be most effective. Vitriolic emails to journalists, and speculative, sarcastic ranting on webboards are just not helpful. Let’s take this one step at a time, and be smart about it. Cooler heads will prevail.

Lisa L. Jorgensen
Publisher and Editor

EDITORIAL - COOLER HEADS

Lisa L. Jorgensen
Publisher and Editor

After this little drama brought certain very important local issues to light, "cooler heads" might conclude that major development from outsiders is not such a good idea.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything is easy to verify, documents published had tax parcel number so just ask at Catastro about changes in ownership of the parcel. Take the "license" published and go to the planning department and ask if it is a building permit or license and ask if there has been one issued or applied for. Now that the government is back to work everything is easy to verify.

Stong´s comments are most enlightening. Makes the proposed project seem like a practical joke.

I attempted to copy and paste but no luck.

If you go to the Chapala Reporter, go to News-Ed then Letters to the Editor then to the letter beginning with "The Lake City complex is said to be" then to "Read More".

Has anyone read Todd Stong's letter to the Chapala Reporter? His comments are not speculative but based upon his many years experience. "Foundation Engineer and with 13 years of water relate projects in an about the lake"

Since I choose not to subscribe to The Chapala Reporter, is there another way to read Todd's letter?

The proposal was so extreme I wondered from the start was this an April Fools hoax directed at expats? Maybe too elaborate for that but makes one wonder.

This has been posted and reposted elsewhere: The property that would have to be dug up has not changed hands since 2010. It was NOT sold at that time. It was passed on from grandfather to grandson. The property in question spans enough area that the complex would have emptied out onto the libramiento.

Is this true? I don't know just passing along the info someone else researched.

You don´t need to subscribe, it´s on the part of the Reporter site that lets you see the Letters to the Editor.

The proposal was so extreme I wondered from the start was this an April Fools hoax directed at expats? Maybe too elaborate for that but makes one wonder.

I am leaning towards a tight group of UdG students, or unemployed graduates, not so much pulling a prank, but showing off their newly minted skills, possibly looking for work, or padding a sparse resume. You may think that this deception would be the kiss of death for job applicants, but in fact shows that this is a ruthless person, or group, willing to anything it takes to shift property. Unfortunately, an admirable trait for many property developers, in Mexico, and many others around the world. There is a surplus of smart, dishonest people who justify their behavior as "driven to success".

Many thanks to Dr. Stong a professional and unbiased report from a qualified foundation engineer.. During the presentation it was stated by the company rep that they planned to use the materials from the site in the construction. Chew up the mountain and spit out a mega complex!

With tongue firmly in cheek... As an exploration geologist I am intrigued by the high arsenic levels in the area and will now rush off to the mines office to stake a claim. Since this mega project seems doomed for failure at this location, maybe we can replace the promised jobs in the tourism industry with mining jobs! I am quite sure no one on this board would object to a nice little open pit mine on that site????

Sent to me via email, supposedly from the Lake Chapala Reporter:

A very reputable source scoured the halls of the Municipality of Chapala today, and came up with many red flags regarding the proposed LakeCity project.
- - The property identified in the presentation conducted by developers Grupo Naimar last week has not changed hands since 2010, when it was transferred (not sold) to a Mexican man by his grandfather.
- The person whose land would need to be dug up in order for an access road to be built to the Libramiento has not been contacted.
- There are no building permits for that land, nor are any in progress.
- The approximately 48 million pesos required for such a building permit has not been paid.
- There is no environmental impact study for that project.
- No formal project plan has been approved.
Grupo Naimar was presented with this information 2 hours ago, and has not yet provided a comment. This publication will publish any response when it becomes available.

These towers remind me of low income housing projects in the States. Many of them were so unlivable they were dynamited to cheers by the watching throngs. They were erected in the '50s and '60s by the same mentalities who built and elevated freeway in San Francisco, blocking the Bay. (It was finally torn down after the 1989 earthquake).

Most expats are lured here by the charming ambience of Ajijic, the eternal spring climate, the colorful flowers cascading over pastel walls, the hummingbirds and monarch butterflies, the fresh breezes from the lake. These proposed high rise monstrosities are an insult to our little paradise.

Stay tuned. I think there will be lots more information coming out this week. Today I accompanied Lisa to translate for her with the head of public works to clarify issues and for her follow up story. As we were going up the stairs to his office Dale Palfrey and another gentleman who works with her were leaving so in the next few days we should have very credible information straight from the horses mouth.

I have seen nothing done wrong by the municipal authorities, really they have only given a quote for what a permit would cost and stated building limitations in a "what if" situation.

See what I mean about this webboard? I don't know why I bother. Come to think of it, I won't. I made all this info available in "open" articles, meaning no one had to had a subscription to read them. Because it was for the good of the community. And just look at you guys. Unbelievable. Not logging in again ever. Uggghhh.

Archived