Chapala.com Webboard

Lake City

HarryB

FYI Dale is a he.

If you are going to pontificate try to get your facts right.

You better check that one yourself . :D

Dale has accumulated considerable experience and knowledge about Mexico, its language and culture from 25 years residence in the Lake Chapala area.

After several harrowing years of daily commutes between her home in idyllic Ajijic and bustling Guadalajara, where she worked in international relations and promotions for the University of Guadalajara, she has recently returned to freelance work (writing, editing, research, translation, public relations) which keeps her more relaxed and closer to home.

http://www.mexconnect.com/authors/162-dale-hoyt-palfrey

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI Dale is a he.

If you are going to pontificate try to get your facts right.

Personal attacks are are not allowed. You are also incorrect in your claim and thus have contributed nothing to the conversation.

You have been warned.

Odd, I went to a lecture given by Dale and I was surprised that he was male. It certainly wasn't a personal attack-I don't know where you get that from.

I promise you, Cedros, Dale Hoyt Palfrey is a female who is happily married and has two grown children. I've known her since I started writing Tech Talk for the Guadalajara Reporter in about 2001.

I just got the Reporter this morning and read her front page story on this "high-rise senior city". I showed the article to several folks at breakfast at a local restaurant who went to the presentation. They told me that they were surprised or shocked at the many angry outbursts made by some of the English speaking senior citizens who were obviously very much against this project.

golden bead . . . you are correct, I stand corrected. I should have said "year 2035" rather than "35 years" (I was focused on last years report).

"The OASI Trust Fund, when considered separately, has a projected reserve depletion date of 2034, one year earlier than in last year’s report."

Dale would be very surprised to hear that she is a male. So would her husband and everyone who knows them.

I sure got my wires crossed several years ago. I'm not quite sure how but it happened but it doesn't matter as now I know-Wayne and Dale.

Now I have had a chance to read the article (from Dale, wife of Wayne). I saw only one instance of editorializing about the crowd's behaviour, when she used the word "boorish". Perhaps that was not the best choice, but it did not define the article. I personally would jeer if I was presented with these unsubstantiated claims from the presenters.

Now, to carry this to its logical conclusion: the crowd knew ahead of time, and so yes, were all too ready to be negative... as is their right when presented with atrocious, far-fetched, and unsupported claims, as Dale pointed out when she quoted 'these issues have been "taken care of" ', and 'appropriate solutions will "eventually" be found'. BUT the only way you are going to get "hard-hitting questions" as an investigative reporter is when you've had time to prepare for something like this. And of course she did not, because a: where would she get these details before the fact, and b: that's not her job: the suggestion that it is her job means a pre-decision on her behalf, with no facts to support one argument or another.

Just received this in my email:

The permits don't appear readable on my screen.

Oldy, please watch the first, you keep equating this huge project with small stuff. This is a character changing proposal for this area. And yes, I believe everyone here has the right and duty to speak up about things like this. I just can't imagine the people of Chapala wanting to be eclipsed by this monstrosity.

Why should ousiders have more rights to determine the character of a community than the people who live there?

These videos seem to have been produced from a brochure. Is there any way to see them in a PDF type format?

Boy, seeing this thread and reading Dales report...and I sure wish I had been at that meeting. I once stayed at the DF Airport Marriott Courtyard shortly after Nieto annouced his plans for a big new airport. I asked at check in what would happen to them and their investment in the old airport since the hotel was fairly new (2 years about). They laughed and said "don't worry. It won't happen. This is just the usual money making scheme for the politicos".

Pity to see so much cynicism from such young people in such a beautiful country. Lord knows Mexico City could use a new airport, and Chapala could use a major employer...just legitimate ones built and financed with transparency and in support of their local communities.

I don`t think there is much to be had in ElDorado for less than $300,000. The condos may be smaller, but I think the Lake city price range of $150,000- $200,000 will appeal to a much broader audience.

There was a lot of consternation and upheaval when Eldorado was built. I`m sure the same thing happened in PV and Cancun when the big towers first went up. But they did anyway.

I did notice on the videos that the plans were showing a new road going north, presumably to the libramiento, so the traffic may not be so horrible.

Still, I don`t see how they can fill a place like this unless they do a lot of marketing NOB and overseas.

I think it will happen, but not as fast as they think, and they will probably have to downscale it somehow.

Pete

My first thought was how in the world is the infrastructure going to support this project? When I lived in the area we consistently had problems with internet, electricity brown outs/outages, water problems. The first time they turn on the lights the whole area will go dark. I don't see this as ever being built, but you never know......after all, he who has the most money almost always wins with the Mexican government.

after all, he who has the most money almost always wins with the Mexican government.

And the same can be said about most governments,including the US government.

I spoke with my Mexican Realtor to day and mentioned the project and how surprised "everyone" was.

He was surprised that we should be surprised, as the project has been on the books for 4-5years.

The Monte Carlo, and surrounding property is owned by Guadalajara University and they wish to sell.

I spoke with my Mexican Realtor to day and mentioned the project and how surprised "everyone" was.

He was surprised that we should be surprised, as the project has been on the books for 4-5years.

The Monte Carlo, and surrounding property is owned by Guadalajara University and they wish to sell.

And the feasibility study for the project was done by... Guad. University. Beautiful! Absolutely no conflict of interest here! Nosiree!

I agree that the description of the concept project seems totally out of character with the surrounding area..but maybe if quarter? the size, it could be feasible

For my buck I would prefer to see a automotive plant, some place out on the East side, which could provide more skilled and better paying jobs

It appears most concerns are that this project will never be finished or constructed in a safe manner and not adding to the already existing utility/ traffic problems we now have. No one wants the hillside destroyed with another big black hole or looking at an empty shell for the next 20 years. Has anyone had any experience here with PERFORMANCE BONDS? If they had to come up with a very large CASH BOND or INSURANCE BOND it might give some reassurance of their real intentions and ability to perform as advertised.

The Guadalajara Reporter wrote, not too long ago, that the UdG was looking for a commercial partner to run the Monte Carlo. This was after the auditors reported that the hotel/resort/convention center had lost millions of pesos over the past year. There was no mention of selling the property. They would be foolish to sell it until it had some profits to report. This also speaks to the lack of any credible market research on the "Slack City" project.

(SLACK - as in the Church of Sub Genius Meaning :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius)

I would also point out - in addition to adding hundreds of cars and toilets and electric appliances to an already overburdened system, and building on land that can't possibly handle that large a structure - the price point seems absurd. THe one bedroom units are 700 square feet - tiny by any standard. If they were charging $60-75,000 maybe, but $150,000???? Who would be that dumb??

Archived