Chapala.com Webboard

Temporal to Permanente & Nationalizing Vehicle

I know there are other people Lakeside besides myself that are going to be changing from Temporal to Permanente in the near future. Myself, next month. Has anyone come up with a solution to the problem of not being able to nationalize their vehicle, which under normal circumstances would be eligible for nationalization. Apparently, Aduana is only doing '06-'07 vehicles for some inexplicable reason. Any thoughts on this?

The SAT website and Aduana website have listed general generic rule for the official allowed years of used auto and pickup permanent imports. These published generic rules have not applied to used NAFTA vehicles imported at the US-Mexico border since 2009.

NAFTA rules required that Mexico allow 10 year old and older NAFTA vehicles in 2009. The NAFTA scheduled changes in allowed years of used NAFTA vehicles changed to 8 year old and older in 2011, and then 6 year old and older NAFTA vehicles in 2013. The January 1, 2015 NAFTA rule for permanent imports into Mexico is 4 years old and older. Item 24 in http://www.sice.oas.org/trade/nafta/anx300a1.asp

Since last September, there have been complicating factors to this simple schedule. Due to years of serious abuse of amparos for paper-only imports to illegally import vehicles into Mexico, Mexican federal agents arrested customs brokers, Aduana officials and judges to stop illegal imports and temporarily shut down permanent imports. Since those arrests, and since the Mexican federal government's putting new rules into place that require American-titled vehicles to first be officially exported from the USA by having the US CBP formally cancel the US vehicle titles before the import into Mexico, permanent imports at the border have really slowed down, and almost stopped at some crossings.

Some reports say that used vehicle imports into Mexico must also be done by licensed customs brokers now, so check with your customs broker for what's possible now and for how long it will take.

As I understand it, you can choose to continue to drive your foreign-plated vehicle and take your chances (yes, it is illegal), you can store your vehicle waiting to see how the laws will next change or you can remove the vehicle from Mexico.

snowyco, all I found there was info. re: TIP's?? Can you provide a link. Thanks.

Scroll down in the link above, and find Item 24. It is for permanent imports (not TIPs):

"24. Mexico may adopt or maintain prohibitions or restrictions on imports of used vehicles from the territory of another Party, except as follows:

1. (a) beginning January 1, 2009, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least 10 years old; " etc

We took our US plated vehicle to TX and sold it. I had already bought a Jalisco plated vehicle. I spent some bucks getting all this done but much less than it would have cost to do the nationalization thing and I had none of the hassle ! Might not work for everybody but it did for us.

That seems to be the only sensible solution. Any other approach is just grasping at straws and sucking up heartache.

Bordercrosser is a good example to follow. Do it before you apply for Permanente, and avoid the need for a Retorno Seguro and a five day window to exit. Many are using the CarMax in San Antonio, TX and flying back to GDL, or taking the bus.

I'm not sure what policy Aduana is currently using.

Between 2009 - Dec. 31, 2014, Aduana clerks definitely followed NAFTA rules on NAFTA cars, ignoring the SAT website's general rule.

In the past month 1 individual reported that one Aduana clerk at one crossing insisted on applying the general 8-9 year old vehicle SAT clause that governs generic imports.

My reading of their personal internet posts says that this individual did not know or raise the legal point of NAFTA rules with the clerk, and they also did not mention appealing the clerk's opinion to their Aduana supervisor, manager, nor did they make an appeal or query to the regional head of that Aduana office.

Clerks across Mexico, the USA and Canada all make mistakes when personally interpreting the laws, which leaves us going over their heads to talk with their bosses and managers to get things straightened out. In this particular issue, I suspect that it will take some head honcho in Aduana DF to set the local clerks straight about what NAFTA vehicles are allowed for permanent imports.

In the past month 1 individual reported that one Aduana clerk at one crossing insisted on applying the general 8-9 year old vehicle SAT clause that governs generic imports.

My reading of their personal internet posts says that this individual did not know or raise the legal point of NAFTA rules with the clerk, and they also did not mention appealing the clerk's opinion to their Aduana supervisor, manager, nor did they make an appeal or query to the regional head of that Aduana office.

Oh please..Do you really think that waving a copy of the NAFTA Treaty at the aduana is a practical solution to an individuals attempt to import a vehicle that doesn't meet the current aduana requirements,do you really think that would help??

Most countries allow tourists to drive their cars without additional requirements.

Does anyone know of other countries that allow temporary residents to drive their foreign plated cars?

Does anyone know of countries that allow permanent residents to drive their foreign plated cars for years and years?

Nationalizing, or permanent importation, should be easy, but in reality it is not. It may require horrendously expensive modifications of the vehicle, as in the USA, high costs and doubtful procedures/corruption/false papers, as in Mexico; or be just not practical or even possible.

Bottom line: If you live there, buy your wheels there. The dealer will take care of the details.

Oh please..Do you really think that waving a copy of the NAFTA Treaty at the aduana is a practical solution to an individuals attempt to import a vehicle that doesn't meet the current aduana requirements,do you really think that would help??

I never wrote that.

Hostility and rash actions don't work well.

When working with government clerks around the world, I have found that it's a lot more productive

- to know the laws,

- to ask for their help, and

if a clerk does not know the rules, or when clerks misapply the rules,

- to politely and constructively cite the applicable rules and laws by politely

explaining that you don't understand how their choice fits with the law,

and politely ask them if they can help explain it to you,

- if that doesn't work, simply and calmly ask to speak with a supervisor and then a manager.

From the tone of your response, it seems that you don't have good past experiences in working with clerks who either misapply or don't know the rules.

It's a choice to try working with people toward solutions.

It takes personal effort, patience and persistence to work with people toward solutions.

Working with people toward solutions takes work, but it's a lot more satisfying than getting angry, blaming others, and giving up.

We had been planning to nationalise our 11 year old Cadillac, before going permanente in November. However, under the latest set of valuations, the Cadillac is classified as a luxury vehicle and the fees for nationalising it would exceed the current value of the car.

We had already brought our German VIN car NOB, and sold it to friends.

We will use CarMax in San Antonio TX for selling the Cadillac, and will hop a Volaris flight back home. With the additional wrinkle of, bringing the Cadillac back Lakeside first (leaving later today from Texas) to get some repairs and bodywork done. We'll drive back NOB for a short trip in the fall.

Does anyone know if CarMax in San Antonio will give you a ride to the SAT airport?

• 2 weeks later...

If you´re going to take your US plated car back to the US to sell, where do you go to get the front windshield sticker removed brfore crossing the border to the US?

Banjercito, at the Mexican customs area before you get to the US border.

INM is where you stop to check out or in with the immigration authorities.

They are usually close to one another, but may be over on the southbound lane at some crossings, so look.

Archived